U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:51 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I don't eat out as much as I used to. I realized long ago that I could cook meals that are better than what's served up by 90% of the restaurants out there, so unless there's real artistry involved or the food is exceptional or it's something I couldn't make myself, I'll pass. There's a Peruvian sandwich shop near my house, and I go there once every couple of weeks because the chef is really good and, well, it's Peruvian food (plus they have Inca Cola).

I used to really like traveling -- but being by myself, I found during my last long car trip that I longed for a companion to share the experience with. Driving a thousand miles listening to the radio by myself isn't as much fun as it used to be when I was younger.

I'm retiring from work in 6 weeks, and I have plans for activities and groups to join. In the back of my mind is the specter of relatives like my mother who retired then sat on their cans in front of the TV until they died. I think it's more than being old and boring: cutting other people out of one's life isn't healthy. The notion of living in a geezer community surrounded by only other retirees gives me the willies; I want to be surrounded by life, by different ages, by parents and kids and feel that I'm part of a community rather than warehoused with other old timers waiting for the Grim Reaper

Actually studies have shown that people who do this do die earlier. LOL a friend of mine retired and moved to Atlanta Ga, everyone was a bit puzzled because the norm is for folks to move to Florida. He laughed and said "Heck no" said Florida has too many people sitting around waiting to die. I totally agree.

I've forced myself to be a bit more outgoing. I love to travel and have no plans on stopping simply because I'm a widow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM

7,694 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Actually studies have shown that people who do this do die earlier. LOL a friend of mine retired and moved to Atlanta Ga, everyone was a bit puzzled because the norm is for folks to move to Florida. He laughed and said "Heck no" said Florida has too many people sitting around waiting to die. I totally agree.
There's a reason why Florida is known as God's Waiting Room.

As for the OP, it sounds like you wore out those things that used to interest you, by doing them so much. I see people falling into this trap all the time. They get in these loops where they have one main interest and no others, so they do that one thing every weekend. It never lasts. Even if it was the one activity you loved more than life itself, you're going to get bored eventually.

And, as we age, we tend to stick with what we know. That's how we become boring and stale.

Lately I've been forcing myself to do things I don't know how to do and reading about things I don't know anything about. I'm currently on Day 2 of a solo vacation. I could stay at the same places I've always stayed; those are safe and predictable; part of my brain is urging me to do exactly that. But I have a list of resorts I want to try and towns I've never visited before. I'd also like to slow down and explore a few we just breezed through before.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to force myself to get into workout clothes and go use the fitness center.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
''God's waiting room''. That is a HOOT! LOL

Old 08-25-2017, 05:37 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
1. Walking
2. Watching a movie at a movie theatre
3. Reading which expands my knowledge
4. Visiting in person with cousins and other family every two or three years
5. Hearing live concerts by the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale
6. Driving on curvy roads
7. Teaching chess to upper elementary and middle school aged students
8. Reading aloud to fifth grade classes.
9. Exterior painting

Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,710,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's a reason why Florida is known as God's Waiting Room.
I drove down to Florida from North Carolina for a wedding back in the late 80s, and saw signs and billboards for cut-rate cremations and bargain basement RVs (a Floridian friend said couples move down there with their RVs, one of them dies, and the survivor needs to get rid of the RV). I personally found the whole scene depressing.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,774,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am in my 60's as well. I don't know maybe I do like being old and boring. I am quite happy and contented, until I start wondering if I should be doing something different.
I think you should do what you're comfortable doing. Don't let anyone tell you what you should be feeling or doing. I think people worry too much about what others think. March to the beat of your own drummer, dear. If you feel like going and doing, do that. If not, it's perfectly fine to go to bed early with a good book.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:56 AM

11,096 posts, read 12,485,180 times
What things do you still find enjoyable? ...sex. I really like sex. I mean I really really like sex.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 AM

688 posts, read 865,193 times
I was never a busy bee, never felt the need to be on the go much of the time, although I did do more of this- concerts, theatre, movies, etc. than I do now.

There are few films I'm interested in seeing, and most of the concerts are music I've heard many times before, and can still listen to on CDs. I always liked to read, play piano, write, spend time with my animals, and sit outside on the porch in good weather. I still do a lot of those things- play piano less- and find that, most of the time, these activities are enough for me. I watch a lot of PBS, enjoy their mysteries, drama, etc. , am involved in two writing groups, volunteer at local Humane Society, go out to lunch with friends about 2-3 times a month, and spend several days/nights a week with significant other. Occasionally we take short trips to scenic or historic areas that are close by- we're fortunate that there are many.

This is really enough for me, and I don't want to be any more busy or involved. I actually live a life similar to what I've always lived, without the work world- don't miss- and at a somewhat slower, more relaxed pace.

Catsy

Old 08-26-2017, 08:16 AM

10,371 posts, read 9,391,362 times
What do I still find enjoyable since retiring? I still enjoy 'life'.

My enjoyment is not based on what I'm "doing" at the moment. Am not one who has to be "doing" something to be content.

When my coworkers learned of my upcoming retirement the number one question was: "Well, what will you "do" now?" My reply was: "I'll be retired."

Am so very, very thankful I enjoy life and experience what each day brings without having to be concerned about "doing" something to fill my day.

Whether I'm out and about or indoors; sharing time with friends or enjoying the day alone; dining in or out; etc., etc., my days are blessed.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:31 AM

568 posts, read 249,804 times
Work! I still find work enjoyable, and am fortunate enough to be able to do the work I enjoy on a part-time basis. To retreat into a life of full retirement would be too stressful for me, and yet perfect for others. All about finding the right balance for you that makes sure all the things you do in retirement, are enjoyable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or