U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:03 PM

1,072 posts, read 808,671 times

Advertisements

I have been on a horse since I was two------- paying for my own non-stop since I was 12 ---- I retired with four horses ---- the two elders have recently been laid to rest on this farm ---- my two "babies" are 22 & 23 ------ they will also be laid to rest on this farm when their times come ------- I am already 70, if I'm still not done with my love and need for a horse, the office manager at the vet clinic will loan me a few of hers ---------

I have been privileged to have traveled all over this great United States during my life ---- sometimes my horses came with me, sometimes they stayed home.

DH & I live on 25 acres surrounded by farmers and other horse owners. It is peaceful. I get to see the bright lights of town once a week when I see the chiropractor ---------it's quite enough to remind me why I like living where we might need to fire up the generator if we lose power during a storm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM

3,036 posts, read 2,019,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.
Am I just getting old and boring?

No! You've simply become more discerning. I feel almost the same way about going out to certain places.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:29 PM

195 posts, read 106,294 times
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.
Am I just getting old and boring?

In my younger days I lived in NY and hit the clubs, restaurants, plays, and museums. Loved to party, loved to travel. Then I spent 20+ years near Atlanta, raising my son, working in the construction business, living a completely different life. Now I live in Florida and I take care of my husband as his 24/7 caregiver. I enjoyed each phase as I went through it, but once I moved on to something else I put it behind me.
There is nothing to be gained by looking at your past and comparing it to where you are now. My life certainly isn't as exciting as it was in NYC but I am where I am supposed to be right now. If you are really unhappy with how your life is now then, by all means, change it. But if you are content but think sometimes that you were supposed to want more out of life then relax. You are doing just fine!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,227,048 times
We still enjoy eating out sometimes, like we did tonight. Had pesto goat cheese dip, jambalaya and Etouffee with shrimp and crawfish. Not exactly things that we would make at home.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:44 PM

115 posts, read 60,423 times
Sleeping :P .. Never thought of it but there are many. I love trying new food. Move around places after work hours. Talking to people.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 AM

3,418 posts, read 3,184,183 times
Love my dogs, walks in the park, biking, trying to play the fiddle, still work out but certainly with limits. Less interested in casual friendships with age but not a recluse. Don't miss work at all. Still like to travel, see other cultures and a good bottle of wine. Simple pleasures!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
* I loved jogging - I can't do it anymore because of hip replacement
* used to go to cocktails - don't do it anymore because I lost contact with the party crowd
* used to love going to the public pool - now I do it only if there is a sauna at hand and if it is not crowded -can't stand the noise anymore
* I enjoyed driving from time to time - but since my wife won't let me drive I lost all interest (and ability, I fear) in driving
* when at the gym, I was fan of body building - now lifting barbells bores me to death,I just do calisthenics
* I used to go to the movie theatre from time to time - now with filmsin streaming on the Net I don't see the point to pay to go to a crowded , noisy and smelly theatre
* I used to gorge on heavy , greasy and sugary foods, if I did it now I would probably be very sick-but that is rather a positive-
* sex (interpersonal at least) is not a thema anymore. I know my wife is not happy about it, I just don't feel the want.
* and the list could go on and on, the only thing that didn't change (and even increased° is my love of travelling, but I suspect it is because I do it only once a year, so routine doesn't set in.
And I'm "only" 62 and perfectly healthy. I dread the changes that happened in my personal habits when real old age will set in, given this record....

Old 08-28-2017, 11:07 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Reclusive means you avoid human contact, out of fear or distaste. It sometimes means there's some psychological problem behind it. Introverted means you enjoy the company of humans, but with limits: after being with people you need to recharge your batteries with alone time. Introverted is a normal personality type.

The problem is -- extroverts sometimes have a hard time seeing this, and see introverts as being stuck up or "not right" and will even try to "convert" them to their version of "normalcy".

Having one's preferences for what one enjoys doing change over time isn't a sign of either reclusion or introversion. It's called people change over time -- even in the latter part of their lives. None of what the OP said sounds to me like either reclusion or introversion -- just changing preferences over time.

You pegged it !!! Although I spent most of my life as an entertainer (parttime), I am very introverted and reclusive. I do not like going out in public - it exhausts me and gives me a headache. I've tried to reach out and join groups but that always ends up being a fiasco. If I keep my mouth shut about politics and religion and my past employment (stripper for 10 yrs), then people say I am holding out, weird, and have bad vibes.

If someone asks my opinion or goes on and on about something I totally disagree with and I speak up (I'm not abusive and don't shout), then they get offended. You figure.

Finally, I have simply given up on trying to be social and make new friends. I've accepted the fact that it's hopeless. Sadly, the sort of great friends I once had, that were crazy different and interesting, are all dead or moved away.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 AM

2,053 posts, read 864,269 times
Seems like you are looking at the glass half empty instead of half full.
1. You can drink at home, have a cocktail before bed.
2. That might get you interested in sex again. It seems to me if you are married, occasional sex is what keeps the marriage whole. Even if one of you is less interested, the other should make an effort occasionally.
3. Don't understand why your wife won't let you drive at 62 when you are perfectly healthy.
4. Why go to the gym to do calesthenics. You can do that at home to a video.
5. I agree that movies at home are more enjoyable than going out to a movie, but that is a plus.
6. You can eat anything in moderation. No need to gorge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
* I loved jogging - I can't do it anymore because of hip replacement
* used to go to cocktails - don't do it anymore because I lost contact with the party crowd
* used to love going to the public pool - now I do it only if there is a sauna at hand and if it is not crowded -can't stand the noise anymore
* I enjoyed driving from time to time - but since my wife won't let me drive I lost all interest (and ability, I fear) in driving
* when at the gym, I was fan of body building - now lifting barbells bores me to death,I just do calisthenics
* I used to go to the movie theatre from time to time - now with filmsin streaming on the Net I don't see the point to pay to go to a crowded , noisy and smelly theatre
* I used to gorge on heavy , greasy and sugary foods, if I did it now I would probably be very sick-but that is rather a positive-
* sex (interpersonal at least) is not a thema anymore. I know my wife is not happy about it, I just don't feel the want.
* and the list could go on and on, the only thing that didn't change (and even increased° is my love of travelling, but I suspect it is because I do it only once a year, so routine doesn't set in.
And I'm "only" 62 and perfectly healthy. I dread the changes that happened in my personal habits when real old age will set in, given this record....

Old 08-29-2017, 05:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,156,163 times
@ bobspez : thanks for your interest ..... here some observations:
* my wife is simply afraid when I drive, says I'm not self-assured and that I tend to veer on the right, close to the curb. So I just gave up.I have a hard time asserting myself in front of her, I know.
* sex is a painful subject (but always has been for me, even when young). I think I have a deep distate for all the preliminaries and "preparatory work" that surrounds it. I'd rather skip the topic altogether.
* I generally avoid alcohol, because alcohol and antidepressants are not a good mix (I've been using antidepressants for longer than I can recount, and yes it has helped tremendously in stabilizing my mood and curbing my excess sex drive-which made me suffer and made me do "dumb things" in the past-, the only downside being that it makes me sleepy at certain moments in the day) . But since the coming of age, I enjoy good wine , and I indulge from time to time. Fortunately I never smoked , save a few joints (as was the use among most young people in the 70's).
*I notice with the passing of the years that I'm more and more agoraphobic-not in the sense in going outside in the wilderness for instance, but in the sense of being somewhere in the middle of a small or big crowd of people. I fear that one day I might become like my wife's nephew who, albeit young, suffers such a severe case of Agoraphobia that he stopped going to the Uni and soends most of his time home working on his computer.
* I'm becoming also more and more intolerant of noise, so much so that I have to use ear plugs now most of the times when going out in town or riding trains, etc.
I hope I won't become like some old spinsters I know who are completely hypocondriac....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or