U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,737,652 times

Advertisements

I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.
Am I just getting old and boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 PM

13,906 posts, read 25,369,716 times
No real changes here I still like to do all the same things I ever did. I cook but if given the choice of cooking and going out, I will always go out. After all, I can always eat my own cooking. And if I don't cook, I don't have to clean up.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 PM

8,419 posts, read 9,170,922 times
Sad. Please don't embrace the loss of interests. What was enjoyable last year should be still so. Unless dementia is a factor

Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,086,306 times
We love live theater, walking, consignment and flea market shopping, museums, art galleries, historical sites, our local public library and farmers market, good coffee shops, gardening, visiting gardens, watching documentaries and indy films...
Too many things to list.

Re restaurants: we especially enjoy international cuisine - Indian, Thai, Korean, and Middle Eastern. As much as I love to cook, there's no way I could duplicate their yummy offerings!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:28 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,465,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

No, you're not getting old and boring just because you do not like going out to eat, restaurants, and cocktails out!

Eating out is way over-rated. I don't think eating out is always particularly fun or interesting.

And no, you're not getting old and boring just because you don't like parties! And parties with small talk, fatty appetizers, and desserts. Those can be over-rated too, and not always particularly fun or interesting.

Sounds like you would enjoy developing some new interests! (besides travel)

A retired person's life does not need to involve lots of eating at restaurants and small talk gatherings. So there's nothing wrong with having had one's fill of those two activities, and not being interested.

Interests can definitely change, and the same things do not need to be fun or interesting year to year.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-23-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,013,437 times
Pretty much everything I used to enjoy, I still enjoy. Some things are sadly no longer physically possible for me, such as skiing or cycling (*sad*).

Mostly I find that things that used to bore or annoy me, bore or annoy me a lot more now. Such as frou-frou restaurants where they think each plate should look artsy-fartsy. Thanks anyway.

Or parties. Too loud, too many obnoxious drunks. I look forward to the day when pot is legal everywhere - that ought to put paid to the annoying drunk syndrome you get at any party that includes booze.

Food snobs - not people who just enjoy some aspect of food, but actual food snobs - annoy the holy living heck out of me. There's nothing quite like listening to someone wax on about, say, "authentic" Indian food who clearly knows NOTHING substantial about anything outside a handful of Moghul dishes (if that) - and then accuses my now deceased Indian MIL who was born in 1902, married at 8, and never traveled more than 5 miles from her home of not knowing anything about her own cuisine because she MUST have been "polluted" by western ideas of cooking if her recipes and techniques vary from what they think is "authentic"!

Seriously! Get over yourselves! LOL!

Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 PM
JRR

3,689 posts, read 2,236,661 times
We still like to go out and do some things. Been to several free concerts in the Cookeville park here this year. The Bryan Symphony starts the new season next month. We go to professional theater at Cumberland County Playhouse in Crossville. Going to see Garrison Keillor from Prairie Home Companion in Charleston WV the Sunday after Labor Day. Cookeville will be doing King Lear for their Shakespeare in the Park this October. Then will come all the holiday music.

And it seems like every time I turn around, a new restaurant is opening for us to try. One that will be opening that has really piqued my interest will be featuring food from El Salvador.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
We're not stuck in time warps. It's okay to change what you like to do.

Heck, I used to like to snort cocaine with people with big hair and listen to Madonna. Before that, it was lots of pot and listening to The Grateful Dead.

I like my peaceful balcony now, the occasional gin and tonic or a glass of wine, a good book, walking my dog, going to the library to watch a solar eclipse with a park full of strangers sharing their eclipse glasses with each other, picking up a friend to go to the community garden, sharing funny political videos with friends on my smart phone, hanging out online chatting with you all...

Times change. If you're really fine staying home and cooking and reading a book, then enjoy it without guilt. If not, then look for other things you enjoy. I have no desire, whatsoever, to go back to my old partying days. Seems like two lifetimes ago now. And I'm fine with that.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
Lots of stuff is MORE enjoyable as we age / have more free time!

Rush, rush, rush... gone are the days of "rushing FUN!"

Savor the experiences, they are RICH.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 5,328,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I used to love going out to eat, try new restaurants , taste new cocktails, and good food. I find eating out not so appealing any except for those time when both our kids are with us and we go to our favorite place. I enjoy the ambience, being waited on while we can talk, and no clean up to do,and the company of my family all together. But with just the 2 of us I would rather cook at home and enjoy what I make which is fresher and tastier . My husband does the cleaning, which helps.
Going out with friends is not as much fun as it used to be. Our friendships have changed, many of them moved away, and we have lost touch with others. Parties bore me, all that small talk, eating fatty appetizers and dessert. I long to come home, get into bed, and pick up the book I am reading. Heaven!
I still like to travel.

I think you are getting old and boring. What in the hell is wrong with dessert? You say it like it is a bad thing. Fatty appetizers? What's the big deal about those. It's not like you eat them every day with every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or