Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

I am twice the man I was at age 40!

Well not exactly. More like 120% But seriously I've lost a 100 lbs in the last two years and gained back 101. Lose a pound, gain it back lose 2 gain 1. And so on. My serious goal is to drop 10 pounds for health and wardrobe reasons. Ski and biking clothes are not cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 06:10 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i am lighter and meaner now than in my 30's . my arms stopped getting bigger no matter how much i weight lift but i have not lost much mass at 65

Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I am one of those heavily muscled people - probably due to both italian ancestry and also having worked construction and other physical labor. My forearms look like popeye and my wife (of 45 years) keeps placing her hand on my thighs and calves since they are large and have no jiggle.

Those who don't see me would say my stats are overweight - 5 9 and 205 or so. But my body fat is within the normal range for age (I am vegetarian, so that helps).

I've basically been of 3 weights in my adult life. 185 almost forever - went down to 155 when I was vegan and working framing houses (for 3-4 years), then back to 185 which crept up over 3 decades (1/2 pound a year I guess)....

In my case I would probably lose weight if I was lazier. That sounds like a strange thing - but basically I do enough exercise (walking, sailing, tennis, etc.) to keep a the same "construction worker" muscled build. My body is somewhat telling me to stop....so maybe I will get lazier and slimmer at some point.

I definitely don't eat a lot - just too damn efficient of a machine IMHO.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:30 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I am 6' 1" and weigh about 163 lbs at age 63. I'm almost the exact same weight I was 40+ years ago when I was in the Army. I recently tried on the Army class A dress uniform slacks & jacket issued in the early 1970s and they both fit fine. Those are the only clothes I have left over from that era. Some pants or shorts with size 32 waist fit me loose and I need a belt.

I have always been physically active. I still average about 100 miles a week of bicycle riding in the local area, and it never feels like a hard workout. The big change for me was about 2 years ago. At that time, I stopped all consumption of anything with added sugar and cut way back on empty carbs. I also went gluten-free. Without actually going on a diet or counting calories, I have lost over 30 lbs in the past 2 years.

I eat plenty of food, but need to keep up intake of fats to keep my weight from dropping below 160 lbs, which would be too skinny for me. For snacks, I buy a large containers of full-fat, no-sugar added plain middle eastern style yogurt and eat a big 1 cup serving every day (instead of drinking milk). I eat a small whole avocado every day and gulp down a tablespoon of olive oil after that.

I eat two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, with a cup of mashed butternut squash and some brussel sprouts. I drink a big mug of home-brewed coffee mid-morning. For lunch, a cup of home-made 6 veggie puree mix with a cup of brown rice or brussel sprouts and at least 8 oz of chicken, beef or fish. Dinner is about the same as lunch. Aside from the snacks listed above, no other snacks.

My lower body has plenty of muscle tone due to the almost daily bicycle riding for decades. I wear shorts most of the year when not at work. My upper body has lost muscle tone the last few years and my arms look scrawny. I need to do some upper body weight lifting or toning to improve, but am still trim and fit when not wearing a shirt according to female friends.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I've lost 25 pounds since I retired a little over three years ago.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Also: men AND women, PLEASE skip the cologne, perfume, heavily scented deodorants, aftershave, etc. For many of us (and I will include myself), our sense of smell is not what it used to be and what we perceive as unscented or lightly scented often isn't. I was in line behind a woman probably 20 years my senior and the perfume was so strong it made my eyes water and I stepped out of line to stand in another line. I am sure she had no idea the scent was so strong.

And while this isn't a problem confined to us oldsters, I notice it much more in people my age and up. Particularly as EVERYTHING is scented this or that. I tend to buy "unscented" products and some of them are still heavily scented, often with a masking scent that is supposed to cover up something else.

When my father reached his mid-70s, his sense of smell deteriorated and I had to tell him (nicely and not directly) that he needed to shower more often and put away the scented things. Of course, the upshot of his loss of sense of smell almost meant eating and food lost a lot of appeal and I had to watch to be careful he ate enough well-rounded, relatively high calorie foods to keep his weight up.
Amen!

I wear one of two colonges the only ones I can tolerate. Every thing else is unscented, even the laundry as I break out from scented ones.

We have become too adverse a society to BO that EVERY thing is scented and all those scents don't mix well!

I too have stepped away from little old ladies, wearing too much of este Lauder or whatever it is and wonder if they really know how much they actually stink!!!
And this Axe stuff for younger set, whew I hate those scents.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:07 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
I'm not skinny but I haven't given up.

I live adjacent to a city park and I go there every morning at 7 AM and walk at least 2 miles. That 60 miles per month of walking energizes me. I actually look forward to it.

If you never get off the couch, your health will suffer. Muscles not used atrophy. Just ask an astronaut.

If you get to a point where you cannot get out of a chair by yourself, you will be on your way to a nursing home.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I am 6' 1" and weigh about 163 lbs at age 63. I'm almost the exact same weight I was 40+ years ago when I was in the Army. I recently tried on the Army class A dress uniform slacks & jacket issued in the early 1970s and they both fit fine. Those are the only clothes I have left over from that era. Some pants or shorts with size 32 waist fit me loose and I need a belt.

I have always been physically active. I still average about 100 miles a week of bicycle riding in the local area, and it never feels like a hard workout. The big change for me was about 2 years ago. At that time, I stopped all consumption of anything with added sugar and cut way back on empty carbs. I also went gluten-free. Without actually going on a diet or counting calories, I have lost over 30 lbs in the past 2 years.

I eat plenty of food, but need to keep up intake of fats to keep my weight from dropping below 160 lbs, which would be too skinny for me. For snacks, I buy a large containers of full-fat, no-sugar added plain middle eastern style yogurt and eat a big 1 cup serving every day (instead of drinking milk). I eat a small whole avocado every day and gulp down a tablespoon of olive oil after that.

I eat two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, with a cup of mashed butternut squash and some brussel sprouts. I drink a big mug of home-brewed coffee mid-morning. For lunch, a cup of home-made 6 veggie puree mix with a cup of brown rice or brussel sprouts and at least 8 oz of chicken, beef or fish. Dinner is about the same as lunch. Aside from the snacks listed above, no other snacks.

My lower body has plenty of muscle tone due to the almost daily bicycle riding for decades. I wear shorts most of the year when not at work. My upper body has lost muscle tone the last few years and my arms look scrawny. I need to do some upper body weight lifting or toning to improve, but am still trim and fit when not wearing a shirt according to female friends.

I live in a retirement area and see a good share of very fit, physically active retirees. I really appreciate seeing that. I give them a thumbs up whenever I see them out walking, running, biking as well as in my fitness center at the retirement community. Army retiree here too, and I'm actually better shape now than I was 8 yrs ago when I retired. I wish the Army did a better job w/ fitness activities - never felt that they guided me the right way other than get ready for the 2 mile run, sit ups, push ups.

Curious if you drink alcohol - how often, how much?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM

190 posts, read 167,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMES67 View Post
During my working years one of the ways I dealt with stress was working out and have maintained it into retirement. It was never that difficult to partake mainly because I was always active in athletics as a youth through college.

Working out has many benefits in fact I was once told that I was an animal in the bedroom.
You mean you claw the drapes and crap on the floor?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:36 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
hey , i am in charge of the funny stuff here . lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement