U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

3,701 posts, read 1,879,781 times

Advertisements

I am lucky to have a husband who maintains a constant, healthy weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 08:05 AM

71,831 posts, read 71,919,037 times
the funniest was today i decided to follow up on some permits i was renewing with the new york city police dept .

i sent my renewals in almost 4 weeks ago and since you pay by credit card i never saw the charge so i called this morning to make sure they got it . .

the first person goes , nope i don't see you processed in the system .

so she transfers me to the woman who actually has the incoming stack of paperwork to process .

i give her my name and she goes that name sounds familiar .

i go really , she goes yeah hold on a minute .

she comes back on and goes yeah , i knew the name was familiar , you are the good looking man who sent in the photo for the permit in a muscle shirt .

i am like yeah , thats me ha ha ha . i happen to be wearing a tank top when i stopped off to get the photo done so it came out looking a bit different than the typical passport photo .

she goes you should be processed by monday .

that felt good . the funniest was i had her on speakerphone and my wife heard it and was cracking up .

Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 AM

71,831 posts, read 71,919,037 times
my wife is a lot more conscious of everything she eats than i am that is for sure .

i am a gym rat and go every day so i can eat some of the junk foods i like . she goes for her own set of reasons but it isn't so she can eat junk . she just does not want to gain weight because as a teen she was chunky .

so it is like i will order a dessert and go will you share it ? she will go sure . so she takes two spoons and i eat the rest . she has amazing discipline -not me -i crumble like a cheap suit lol

Old 08-25-2017, 09:08 AM

102 posts, read 45,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
You mean you claw the drapes and crap on the floor?
haha, lets just say the furniture was rearranged in the morning

Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 767,746 times
I haven't given up but arthritis in my late 50's is slowing me down significantly and making it much harder to lose. I'm also fairly big to begin with. Coming out of HS I was 6'4" and 240 pounds with about a 34 waist. We joined a gym back in the day and I bulked up to just over 270.

I coached basketball until my late 40's until the knees couldn't do it anymore. Since then I've climbed to the wrong side of 300. Most people can't relate to that number so when I tell them my weight they're kind of dumbstruck. With the height, width and belly i really do look a lot like a typical NFL lineman. I'm supposed to get both knees replaced and I would love to get back down in the 270 range to make recovery easier. That and to lose the belly and look a little better, so there is a little vanity in there too.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:08 AM

787 posts, read 896,847 times
All of my friends have wives that are 20,30 and 40 years younger, so we all keep ourselves in good shape or our wives keep us in good shape, depending on whose on top that day.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM

23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Honestly, I think it would be much easier to keep the weight DOWN once retired, depending on your occupation.

I work a regular, sedentary office job. I'm basically in the chair from 8-5, five days a week. I try to walk on my lunch hour, but realistically do this only a day or two a week. If I eat in the office, I can usually get about two miles in. This will get me close to 5,000 steps. To do 10,000, which is the threshold for "active," I basically have to walk another two miles on top of that in the evening after work. If you want to do weights or something else, then that's more time.

As of now, I have 470 steps all day. I can get through a day under 2,000 steps easily.

Also, I think environment is a big difference. When I lived in Indiana, my apartment backed right up to a walking trail. There were healthier options at the grocery store. I didn't have to spend time taking care of the family, tending to pets, etc. All of my obligations here crowd out time that could be spent on exercising.

With that said, I'm going for a walk on my lunch hour.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:18 AM

296 posts, read 150,350 times
Default ...good post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Also: men AND women, PLEASE skip the cologne, perfume, heavily scented deodorants, aftershave, etc. For many of us (and I will include myself), our sense of smell is not what it used to be and what we perceive as unscented or lightly scented often isn't. I was in line behind a woman probably 20 years my senior and the perfume was so strong it made my eyes water and I stepped out of line to stand in another line. I am sure she had no idea the scent was so strong.

And while this isn't a problem confined to us oldsters, I notice it much more in people my age and up. Particularly as EVERYTHING is scented this or that. I tend to buy "unscented" products and some of them are still heavily scented, often with a masking scent that is supposed to cover up something else.

When my father reached his mid-70s, his sense of smell deteriorated and I had to tell him (nicely and not directly) that he needed to shower more often and put away the scented things. Of course, the upshot of his loss of sense of smell almost meant eating and food lost a lot of appeal and I had to watch to be careful he ate enough well-rounded, relatively high calorie foods to keep his weight up.
Thank you!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

296 posts, read 150,350 times
Default ...looking good...

I started running at 42 and could outrun most kids. At 46, I could sprint 100 yards in less than 10 seconds (This should read 11 seconds). Ran a marathon at 52. Now I walk. As often as I can.
To those of you who are overweight and have lost some weight I say WAY TO GO. I like to see people accomplish things. It feels good to give out a lot of attaboys on this thread.

Last edited by JohnnyLackland; 08-25-2017 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 AM

506 posts, read 262,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
At 46, I could sprint 100 yards in less than 10 seconds.

That would have you qualifying in the preliminary heats in the 2016 Olympics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlet...27s_100_metres

Not only that with your age and that time you'd be the Master's world record holder for over 40 ages males. Guess who holds the WR now? Past Olympic sprinters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or