U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 PM

604 posts, read 260,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have no choice . i will slide right back to being diabetic with high blood pressure again if i stop . i hate the gym and running after 15 years daily . but it is our way of life .

i am on no meds and i strive to stay off them and she does not want to gain weight so we make a good pair and force each other to go every day if one slacks off .
MJ, just be careful of knees/joints wearing out. Maybe consider biking or swimming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Staying in shape. Still weight lift three times a week, and have been doing so for over 50 years now. Fairly serious as far as weight lifting goes, doing things like bench pressing 180 pounds and curling 90 pounds. Routine takes about 40 minutes, with tight timing between lifts.

Also exercise bike and use a rowing machine for some aerobics too. In addition, I walk about 15 miles a week, but the walks are never over two miles at a time. As far as weight goes, I'm in the low 160's, which isn't heavy at all for 6'1". I'm actually about 40 pounds lighter than when I graduated high school.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:52 AM

71,499 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
MJ, just be careful of knees/joints wearing out. Maybe consider biking or swimming?
i do that but it is not the same effect on me . i biked for 10 years and it just never got my heart up high enough to change my numbers . running for me is far more intense and the only thing that brings my blood work and pressure way down .

my legs give out biking before my heart even gets high enough to do much good .

i can do the elliptical for an hour and never get above 125 bpm .

so i am stuck with running .

Old 08-26-2017, 06:45 AM

604 posts, read 260,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Staying in shape. Still weight lift three times a week, and have been doing so for over 50 years now. Fairly serious as far as weight lifting goes, doing things like bench pressing 180 pounds and curling 90 pounds. Routine takes about 40 minutes, with tight timing between lifts.

Also exercise bike and use a rowing machine for some aerobics too. In addition, I walk about 15 miles a week, but the walks are never over two miles at a time. As far as weight goes, I'm in the low 160's, which isn't heavy at all for 6'1". I'm actually about 40 pounds lighter than when I graduated high school.
This is, frankly, impressive^^. I'm 160 at 5'8", and am pretty much a "flat belly." Weightlifting has surprising benefits, including encouraging bone growth. I always feel better when on a regimen including lifting. At this point I am more careful as I have had significant shoulder problems recently, in addition to a back injury from 17 years ago. I have incorporated cables into my routine, along with eight to ten yoga stretches, and it seems to be working. I have been fortunate regarding genes, I think. I have seldom ever gained much weight and my numbers at the doctor's are always very good. My wife insists on a healthy diet, including very little red meat or fried foods, whole grains, low fat foods, and little to no sodas, desserts, chips, etc. I complain in a lighthearted way, knowing she is probably elongating my life!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Quote:
This is, frankly, impressive^^. I'm 160 at 5'8", and am pretty much a "flat belly." Weightlifting has surprising benefits, including encouraging bone growth. I always feel better when on a regimen including lifting. At this point I am more careful as I have had significant shoulder problems recently, in addition to a back injury from 17 years ago. I have incorporated cables into my routine, along with eight to ten yoga stretches, and it seems to be working. I have been fortunate regarding genes, I think. I have seldom ever gained much weight and my numbers at the doctor's are always very good. My wife insists on a healthy diet, including very little red meat or fried foods, whole grains, low fat foods, and little to no sodas, desserts, chips, etc. I complain in a lighthearted way, knowing she is probably elongating my life!
I have found that as I've gotten older that lifting free weight, especially dumbbells, can lead to injury. I try to stick mostly with the machines, I've had very good luck with the Paramount Functional Trainer, which allows you to work more on core muscles without a lot of the risk associated with free weights.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
That one of my biggest concerns as I lift, run, bike and taking away physical activities would put me into a major funk.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:26 PM

3,686 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have no choice . i will slide right back to being diabetic with high blood pressure again if i stop . i hate the gym and running after 15 years daily . but it is our way of life .

i am on no meds and i strive to stay off them and she does not want to gain weight so we make a good pair and force each other to go every day if one slacks off .
Try a ketogenic diet. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I used to kill myself at the gym and starve - with this diet you do not have to exercise like a maniac, and can eat real food.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:29 PM

71,499 posts, read 71,674,131 times
did that years ago , not for me . i am to active and my wife and i did it . we felt like crap and energyless so we said forget this stuff

Old 08-27-2017, 07:19 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
My husband is 70 and, while not obsessed, he watches his weight, exercises and tries to eat healthy. We both use the same skin cream, we count steps, and we whiten out teeth, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or