U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:24 PM

5,684 posts, read 4,408,388 times

Advertisements

I live in a Del Webb community and really like it. I am in the hiking club, performing arts, travel club and a few others. At some point I'll also join the wood chippers (wood working), current events, one of several book clubs, too, just don't have the time. Too busy.

There is a consistent look to the exteriors of the homes, but there are over 30 floorplans and so many variations of the interiors. However, when I look out my back door all I see is mountains and canyons. Fantastic views with no houses behind me.

I'm 68, and more than half of the members of the hiking club are younger than I am.

There are many people open to new friendships and everyone looks out for each other's homes because we all tend to travel alot.

BTW, I -- at the weight of 145 lbs -- am the fatty among all people I know. But I'm on a diet and after I get these 20 lbs off from traveling, I'll be in standard form for the normal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:42 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,005,081 times
Del Webb communities are not all the same. My observation is that they newer ones are more upscale ($$$$) than the original ones. We lived in one for 14 years, just down the road from the original, there were differences. You have to check each out to see which is a good fit for you.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 PM

4,788 posts, read 1,978,657 times
Pros of a 55+ community:
There won't be teenagers damaging buildings or vandalizing cars.
There will be few young women wondering why an old piece of furniture like you is looking at them.
The danger of hitting a kid on a bike with your car will be lower.

Cons of a 55+ community:
Without young growing families, it seems somewhat sterile.
No laughter of children.
Halloween is a non event.
There is an angry old lady sitting by the pool yelling at visiting children.
If financial hardship strikes one of your children, they can't live with you.
Retired people have a lot of time on their hands. Time to gossip and make trouble.
In the Villages politics matters.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:27 PM

23,644 posts, read 8,219,173 times
My good friend retired to Sun City in Palm Desert..she likes it pretty well, does not like the STRICT restrictions about outside plants, parking etc etc etc. Plus the summers down there are horrific...that is killing her. This weekend coming up going in the 116's but at least dry...but like a sauna in many ways too.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You mean Sun City, Arizona, I'm guessing.
You win, 100 pts awarded.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:31 PM

195 posts, read 105,973 times
Thanks for all of these responses. I once visited friends in one up in GA and they were happy there but at the time I thought "I could never live in a place like this" but as circumstances change so do our viewpoints. i guess the best thing is to just wait until they start building here and then keep an eye on it.
The VA is going to build a new nursing home right near it and eventually my husband will probably wind up there because of his medical conditions. I thought it would be good to be close enough to easily go every day to spend time with him plus it might be nice to make some friends in the neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I live in a Del Webb community and really like it. I am in the hiking club, performing arts, travel club and a few others. At some point I'll also join the wood chippers (wood working), current events, one of several book clubs, too, just don't have the time. Too busy.

There is a consistent look to the exteriors of the homes, but there are over 30 floorplans and so many variations of the interiors. However, when I look out my back door all I see is mountains and canyons. Fantastic views with no houses behind me.

I'm 68, and more than half of the members of the hiking club are younger than I am.

There are many people open to new friendships and everyone looks out for each other's homes because we all tend to travel alot.

BTW, I -- at the weight of 145 lbs -- am the fatty among all people I know. But I'm on a diet and after I get these 20 lbs off from traveling, I'll be in standard form for the normal here.
This is similar to the friends we stay with in Oro Valley (Tucson) Their Del Webb home is on the end of a peninsula, surrounded by (2) Arroyos (Ditches). Just Mtns and great view and lots of wildlife out their back deck.

+
is the many activities and engaged neighbors and friends,
clean, quiet abode (and will stay that way)... no 'dirt bike' tracks from next door neighbors.
Commute around the village via golf cart
Plenty of special events / ways to contribute and to learn
Lots of music / drama talent
plenty of interest groups
always a welcoming place to relax (multiple pools / centers)

-
at first... (age 55) they felt too young, now... Age 75, they are in the normal age range
home were a lot alike, but only on the outside
the 'old-men' street / code patrol can get OLD (But you learn to accept it...)
Your neighbors / friends sometimes die (more frequently... as will we all)

+/-.. but likely never for me (too bad cuz I LOVE to swim...)

I doubt the HOA would like my bulldozer and accessories I find handy to 'tune-up' my landscape and change the terrain. my 34 cars would be a slight 'stretch' of the rules too... and of course the 'farm-dog' would not be welcome, or happy. He has never seen a leash / pen / inside of a 'people house' (How boring...)

We have stayed in many Del Webbs and the hosts were very pleased with their homes and neighbors (And I felt pampered and safe!)

I too will vouch that our hosts have been very fit! They walk and exercise A LOT!!! (much more than I)

Old 08-26-2017, 05:46 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,096,740 times
We looked at one in Tenn when we were traveling ( it was in MT Juliet just outside of Nashville)......... and we weren't expecting to like it but we really did. As it happens, the areas we are considering don't have any ..

They seem to be really well done and I think I could see myself living there happily.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,634,675 times
The ones I have seen in Vegas, I never saw one old fat person. There are too many outdoor activities to be involved in.

Being 55 + is not like being 55 was 40 years ago.

Golf, pools, tennis, bocce, group activities going out of town, physical group activities, etc.

Some have 8 to 10 types of home styles. Many people upgrade and tear out the standard inside an spend several hundreds of thousands making it custom.

One I saw had people that mostly were younger aarp people. Not seeing people in walkers etc. When you get to a certain age80 to 90 many times, they go into familycare, nursing homes or are dead.

Not dealing with people who have no respect for their neighbors, people with kids, etc is a big draw.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Pros of a 55+ community:
There won't be teenagers damaging buildings or vandalizing cars.
There will be few young women wondering why an old piece of furniture like you is looking at them.
The danger of hitting a kid on a bike with your car will be lower.

Cons of a 55+ community:
Without young growing families, it seems somewhat sterile.
No laughter of children.
Halloween is a non event.
There is an angry old lady sitting by the pool yelling at visiting children.
If financial hardship strikes one of your children, they can't live with you.
Retired people have a lot of time on their hands. Time to gossip and make trouble.
In the Villages politics matters.
I'm not altogether sure I'd consider that a "con".....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or