U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,900,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Cons of a 55+ community:
Without young growing families, it seems somewhat sterile.
No laughter of children.
Halloween is a non event.
There is an angry old lady sitting by the pool yelling at visiting children.
If financial hardship strikes one of your children, they can't live with you.
Retired people have a lot of time on their hands. Time to gossip and make trouble.
In the Villages politics matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'm not altogether sure I'd consider that a "con".....LOL.
It's also not necessarily true unless the child having financial difficulties is under 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 10:25 AM

762 posts, read 808,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm a military vet with a few conservative views. I also have many progressive views. I would not feel comfortable in the Villages.

The Villages' Democrats Find Second-Rate Citizenry In A Billionaire's Republican Kingdom | HuffPost
The Villages has some other problems too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida...art-chop-shop/

Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM

5,684 posts, read 4,408,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
The Villages has some other problems too.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida...art-chop-shop/
I found it amusing because quite some time ago I read of a severe outbreak of STD's at The Villages.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I found it amusing because quite some time ago I read of a severe outbreak of STD's at The Villages.
Not to mention the sinkholes!

Old 08-26-2017, 05:55 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,052,492 times
I live in a large 55+ community but not Del Webb. Its a lot like high school in that certain poolside chairs belong to 'the crowd' and they're ready to tell you the chaise is taken. Events are by reserved tsble

Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM

6,989 posts, read 6,979,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
What does the community of "The Villages", a well known extremely large community do to compare to the smaller and well kept Del Webb Communities. The OP is asking about Del Webb. The Villages was not started or even associated with Del Webb.

The other thing about this post is that we are bringing in an old story of just about 5 years. Kind of old news to base a feeling on without visiting.
People do not change their political affiliation very often. I doubt the tenor of The Villages is different. A few years ago, we visited a Del Webb community in SC. We were looking at the bulletin board in the community center and noticed that they had several Republican clubs, but no Democratic clubs. This certainly said something about that particular community. So personally, I think, if at all possible, check out the leanings of the community before purchasing. If it's a "live and let live" type place, then all may be well. But if the feelings run high, as in the Huffington Post article about the Villages, maybe you might want to make sure the majority of residents believe like you do.

Just a word to the wise...

Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM

565 posts, read 660,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
That story has been going around for years Its like a urban legend

Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,373,108 times
Live in a Del Webb community, have for 9 yrs now. We like it, and would not want to live anywhere else IF we stay in San Antonio.

Quiet, everything right here convenient, well kept and we remain a little island of no/very low crime in the fastest growing section of San Antonio.

LOT to be said for neighbors that get to know each other and keep a look out for each other, especially when/if you travel extensively.

Our friends are VERY active, and our resales seem to sell very quickly too!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Seriously? Obese people?? Having lived in a Del Webb community in AZ for two years we constantly marvel at the fantastic shape of most of the people we see around here. Every morning the sidewalks are filled with walkers, the roads with bikers and the gym is filled to capacity every morning at 7:30. Pickleball is a huge activity here and obese people do not play pickleball.

Honestly, I can think of only one person I have seen who could be classified as obese. This is an active adult community...with emphasis on ACTIVE. Average age is probably right around 60.

As for re-sales, we bought a spec home two years ago and sold it (at a profit) a year later to build a new construction. We sold it at our first showing. Also, homes around here that go up for sale are on the market for only a few days before offers are accepted. And this is a community that is still probably only 50% built out, so competing with new construction is NOT a problem.
Why is it ok to want to avoid living around obese people, but god forbid we express a dislike for minorities, gays, immigrants or snowflakes?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I live in a large 55+ community but not Del Webb. Its a lot like high school in that certain poolside chairs belong to 'the crowd' and they're ready to tell you the chaise is taken. Events are by reserved tsble
I would hate that. Don't you hate that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or