U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:08 AM

506 posts, read 463,854 times

Advertisements

We lived in the one in Georgetown Texas briefly. I loved all the social functions and my house but the friendly and warm people were the best thing about it. It had a "family feel" to it but my husband didn't like having to wear a name tag at functions if you can believe that. He also didn't like only having one golf course and they often closed it to members so they could collect funds from some organization.
We all paid to have our yards mowed. No freebies there.
The houses are very close together. They were semi cookie cutter homes, not too bad, and it never bothered me. I don't recall any obese people at all.
This is the greatest thing: you go there and pick out the house style you can afford. Then after making a down payment you spend hours choosing carpeting, counter tops, flooring, plumbing fixtures, etc. So I did that then we just drove home while they built the entire house! They called when it was done and we drove right up to our new, spotless house! It was really a thrill seeing my new house waiting for me ! So easy to make friends there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:13 AM

3,800 posts, read 9,725,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I have visited a few. They are quite sterile, tend to attract more conservative folks and frankly, lots of obese people. Their ads always show youngish active retirees, but it's not one I have seen. Have visited friends at Del Webb sites in VA. They like it well-enough (their words) but thinking of selling (both couples) but because it is still being built out, they know their chances of a resale are slim unless they take a loss.
Are you serious??? I live in a fairly new Del Webb in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'd say about 900-1000 of the expected 1300 homes have been completed. This is a very active community with a 37,000SF club house, indoor/outdoor pool, tennis, pickle ball, bocce, full gym/fitness center. There are too many clubs to count including hiking, biking, golf (no golf course here, they golf outside the community). We have tons of trails and every day, people are out there walking, running cycling. There are both conservative and liberal mindsets here, myself being the latter.

The first house here closed 4 years ago. Construction of new homes is nearing the end but resales are snatched up pretty quickly, and they are not inexpensive. Our close friends just relocated and sold their home within a week, full price $400K for 2100 sf and they paid $330K in 2/2014. Homes prices range from $300 - 600's.

That being said, we don't love being in an age restricted community. We miss having kids around, the laughter of children, trick or treaters etc. There are definitely clicks and sometimes I feel as though I am still junior high school. I think I've been less affected than some as I still work full time. We will be leaving in about 18 months when we retire, headed to the coast. We've bought another home but not in an over 55 community. We really miss the beach and have no family in the area.

Last edited by ljd1010; 09-02-2017 at 05:27 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM

2,431 posts, read 3,657,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Pros of a 55+ community:
There won't be teenagers damaging buildings or vandalizing cars.
There will be few young women wondering why an old piece of furniture like you is looking at them.
The danger of hitting a kid on a bike with your car will be lower.

Cons of a 55+ community:
Without young growing families, it seems somewhat sterile.
No laughter of children.
Halloween is a non event.
There is an angry old lady sitting by the pool yelling at visiting children.
If financial hardship strikes one of your children, they can't live with you.
Retired people have a lot of time on their hands. Time to gossip and make trouble.
In the Villages politics matters.

I am more concerned about dead-beat siblings and in-laws wanting to live with us. Moving to a smaller home without space for them and their crap is a big draw. HOA rules against it make it even better.

Knowing the neighbor's home won't suddenly become full time three-generations, exceeding the driveway and curb parking capacity, would be a big plus in my mind.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:16 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Pros of a 55+ community:
There won't be teenagers damaging buildings or vandalizing cars.
There will be few young women wondering why an old piece of furniture like you is looking at them.
The danger of hitting a kid on a bike with your car will be lower.

Cons of a 55+ community:
Without young growing families, it seems somewhat sterile.
No laughter of children.
Halloween is a non event.
There is an angry old lady sitting by the pool yelling at visiting children.
If financial hardship strikes one of your children, they can't live with you.
Retired people have a lot of time on their hands. Time to gossip and make trouble.
In the Villages politics matters.
They can live with us in our 55+ community with certain restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or