U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:30 PM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times

Advertisements

High school or earlier - no idea, I got out of that awful place and never looked back. College degree #1 - moved far away, never kept track. College degree #2 & #3, I still know a few people, two of them very well, and see them occasionally.

One is a college professor in our field, the other worked for the state. I worked for the state and private engineering firms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Like blueherons and BucFan, a lot of my high school classmates were/are very successful. Two are partners that write for TV and one of them started out in acting, even starring in a short-lived sitcom. I know of at least a couple of doctors, many executives, a couple of successful artists... I'd say that at least 3/4 of my classmates stayed on the east coast.

Me, I floundered for years; finally settled on a "career" in healthcare (I'm a respiratory therapist, counting down the months 'til retirement. Hopefully 11 1/2 to go.)

As an R.T. you've helped/cared for probably 1,000's of other human beings. Pretty successful, imo. Probably taught a nurse or two about mechanical ventilation? Perhaps a physician or two as well? Sometimes we may not even be aware of our influence .....

Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Some went to Vietnam, some got killed, some went to jail, some became celebrities, some became engineers, some became businesspeople, some got professional degrees, one got a sex change, some died of old age and me, I'm just biding my time.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:35 PM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
Various degrees of success or failure. None surprised me. Some did great and it was expected. Some did bad and it was also expected. The ones that seem average were average then.

Several teachers told me that they have never been surprised when they heard about a former student. They did not predict who would go to prison or become a doctor but they were never surprised when they heard who did. It seems the same with me when I hear about an old classmate.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 PM

4,955 posts, read 2,408,873 times
High school: Actually, in my case, a small private all-boys prep school that coordinated with a related all-girls school a mile away; the two schools became one in 1984, eight years after I graduated. Didn't catch up on what the women were doing at my 40th reunion last fall. My own classmates: my right-hand man on the school paper became a Buddhist monk and relocated to Nepal. Another top editor is a successful artist in New York City. One of the more "rednecky" class members (at my 30th reunion, where he greeted me like a long lost friend despite our not having been all that buddy-buddy in school) took the reins of his family's company (you may have heard of it: Russell Stover Candies) along with his brother; they sold the firm to Lindt two years ago. The humor columnist ended up in the same city as I did (odds of this happening were very slim, as this city is not Kansas City, New York or Los Angeles) as an adjunct faculty member at Penn.

Me? I was the paper's editor in chief. I didn't put myself on the track towards the Big Media Names many journalistically inclined types at the college I attended did. (One ended up at National Geographic, another at Politico, a third at Time, a fourth at the Los Angeles Times.) I bounced around several media-relations and marketing writer positions in Philadelphia before a strange and lucky break landed me on the staff of Philadelphia magazine.

I guess that counts as success, even if it's as a late bloomer.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 PM

3,985 posts, read 3,253,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickPea77 View Post
A few people from my school ended up in jail for all sorts , a lot of them had kids when they were quite young , and one ended up appearing in Waterloo Road for 1 episode.
Not retired yet shorter vista to view how we all "came out." I'm 49, Class of '85. Still, some interesting results so far. Most a mystery, some bad, a few good, most decent enough.

Me: 97% income and assets for my age cohort, two master's and one bachelor's degree, happy and flying solo, good health, never felt better mentally and emotionally. Zero boat anchors (wives, children, unsecured debt: "ever"), looking to retire a bit early at about 60, 62 max, earlier if I have a few more lucky breaks. I'm doing "well, or good" by my own reckoning and most others, objectively.

Roomie from college: dead under mysterious circumstances at about 41, years ago, which bothers me because folks from there won't tell me what killed him. Guessing suicide, he was a depressive. We hadn't talked in awhile.

Other roomie from college: 2x bids for what State of MI calls "aggravated sexual assault, multiple variables." Guessing that's a plea down from rape. Did the whole 5 year sentence, bid one. Second bid, years later for nearly-same conviction, did about 3 of 15. Wonder if there will be a third. He had a mean streak back then, not entirely surprised he took by force what he could not by guile.

Good friend dropped out of UofM, dunno why, went to work there. He's still working there, buried in some computer support lab, 30 years later. That's obviously his home/family. I'm happy for him, though he was capable of far more he was a bundle of nerves and "alcohol problems" which probably sank his ass. Bet he'll retire on a pension and get the last laugh.

Best friend 1988: multiple DUI arrests, major bankruptcy couple years ago, splashed all over local paper (Schaumburg, IL) for slapping around his wife, a rather famous lady, and trying to cover it up. Loser. I will punch his pugsley-ugly bald face should we ever meet again. We won't. Last talked to him in 1990 when he was cheating on his then-GF, much later the wife mentioned above, so obviously she was none the wiser decades later.

Vast majority of others caught up with on FB. All seem to be doing well enough, but who knows truly given the veneer of reality is exceptionally thin RE that thing.

My generation had no great war, except Gulf 1. Only guy I know in that was a shave-tailed 'Louie in the Engineers who blew up enemy armor for many months, then rotated home without being shot-at. For which he was grateful. Retired 3-4 years ago w/24 years as an O6, so definitely did something right! If he wasn't such a screwball nowadays I'd hang out with him more, but he's not my cup of tea to say the least. I do respect his service, however.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 PM

481 posts, read 323,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As an R.T. you've helped/cared for probably 1,000's of other human beings. Pretty successful, imo. Probably taught a nurse or two about mechanical ventilation? Perhaps a physician or two as well? Sometimes we may not even be aware of our influence .....
Aw shucks, thank you!

Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 PM

3,881 posts, read 1,649,879 times
I haven't a clue, didn't keep in touch with anybody.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:52 AM

1,068 posts, read 633,147 times
I'm 69 graduated in 66..two of my best friends from high school died 5 years ago..one from a heart attack, the other from drug and alcohol abuse..one lady owns her own insurance company..several others have passed away..most I don't have a clue either..nobody famous..but I'll tell ya one thing..when your life long friends start dying off before your eyes you will get a feeling of standing out in a field all alone..such is life.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:15 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I'm 69 graduated in 66..two of my best friends from high school died 5 years ago..one from a heart attack, the other from drug and alcohol abuse..one lady owns her own insurance company..several others have passed away..most I don't have a clue either..nobody famous..but I'll tell ya one thing..when your life long friends start dying off before your eyes you will get a feeling of standing out in a field all alone..such is life.
Wow, do I hear you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or