U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM

1,910 posts, read 960,433 times

Advertisements

I'm heading out to Costa Rica to celebrate my 70th birthday with some ziplining and "tree-bridging". I only recently gave up rollercoasters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 PM

5,461 posts, read 4,091,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i did a 70 mile mountain biking trip 15 years ago . i came home without a scratch .

we lived in a row of cookie cutter homes with a community driveway . i washed the bike , re-lubed the chain and rode down the driveway .

a woman in an suv backed out and hit me shattering my collar bone . i told everyone it happened on the trip . no way was i going down in my driveway .
sorry I had to laugh at your misfortune . . . classic

Old 08-25-2017, 09:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
An adventure-less life? Let's see.

In the past two weeks, I've attended the Ventura County Fair, loaded, (with help), and drove a 26-foot U-Haul 1,200 miles in two days, (without help), unloaded the U-Haul, attended the North Idaho State Fair, put 60 miles on my bicycle, and volunteered all day yesterday and today at the Coeur d'Alene Ironman Triathlon registration desk.

Within the next half week; attending the rodeo at the North Idaho State Fair tomorrow night, working the triathlon itself all day on Sunday at the bike exchange area, putting another 30 miles on the bike tomorrow; all before flying back to SoCal on Tuesday.

Right now, I have adventure enough. About the 'escaping the snow' thing. I've moved from Sunny SoCal to Snowy North Idaho. Looking forward to some cross-country skiing this winter, and spending Thanksgiving in Banff.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 PM

9,595 posts, read 17,174,264 times
I recently went to South America for a month by myself and got to fulfill a lifelong dream of seeing the rainforest. In a year or two I hope to buy a little piece of land and have friends come help me to build a cob house. I def don't want to do the usual retirement activities, tho I'm not retired yet lol.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:34 PM

9,574 posts, read 10,920,803 times
When I was a teenager, I really wished to have a motorcycle. My parents, especially my mother, refused. A few years later, I decided to get a motorcycle. My wife refused. My not having a motorcycle never caused me any problems.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
ER, it's in a way a shame you are so embedded in LA, I wouldn't ride a bike in that traffic, but, you know you would like to get back on a bike. Maybe there is somewhere you could keep a dirt bike, drive to it outside of town?
I keep MC at 3 different locations in USA so I can ride when the weather is nice (I'm totally through with commuting via MC in the snow...). I prefer remotely positioned MC's, to be my vintage thumpers (Magneto + kick ONLY = no need for batteries and such) eventually.... I will get too old to kick, so... keeping my eyes peeled for a DR650 (Oil:Air cooled thumper). By then I will probably only have 2, Likely Colorado and TX. Very fortunate that my homes / shops are within 3 miles of excellent scenic byways and switchbacks. Keeps my reflexes sharp! I can have beautiful rides and take very little time out of my day (20 min is often plenty!) If I lived in town.... I wouldn't even GET to the boonies in 1/2 hr.

I plan to ship a couple of my other vintage bikes to foreign countries where I will use, and then sell (if anyone wants to pay the import duty). It is only a few hundred $$ to AIR ship a light (and fast) MC. And often will be the BIGGEST CC displacement in the region (Many countries have CC caps for registration) I pick up spare MC whenever I see a deal (<$800 for something I could use, then sell for $3000 (2x that overseas))

Quote:
....What about a real deep sea fishing "safari" where you can catch a marlin, or similar? I don't doubt this is available nearby, ... cook up a dinner of that marlin, and casually remark on how long you had to fight it, that you caught it yourself...
My friends in Asia rave about their deep sea fishing out of San Diego and Baja, I have never had time to fish... Maybe in my next retirement? DS LOVES to fish... That's great! Go for it! I will enjoy the spoils.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,328,115 times
I just got back from my annual summer trip - salmon fishing in Alaska. Off to Arizona Labor Day weekend for my annual dove hunting trip. I may fly down to Eloy, AZ and get in some skydiving. I'm tempted to get some more aerobatic training under my belt. Age is just a number.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
I am bemoaning the lack of adventure in my life but it's all financial. If I had the money I would be doing all sorts of things. In the not too long ago past I rode a horse across Mexico and kayaked the Amazon. And lots of trips far off the beaten trail.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:50 AM

939 posts, read 513,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i always wanted to be that person hanging on to a stop sign with my legs out like a flag in a storm .
I just can't seem to get that image out of my head, nor stop laughing about it.
In fact, I just may use it sometime...hopefully, not here though!

As for me, my last adventurous endeavor was going to this video chain in LA about 25 years ago that had way more movies than Blockbuster.

They had all their titles by genre...comedy, drama, foreign, documentaries, some genres containing at least a thousand or more titles.

I explained to the clerk that for the last month or so, it's been nothing but work for me, then straight home.
He was so sympathetic, he suggested I should at least have a vicarious adventure.
I agreed, and then he actually blindfolded me and led me to the Adventure aisle.

When we arrived, he started walking me back and fourth, whilst spinning me in circles to make it entirely random.

When the spinning finally stopped, I grabbed a VHS title closest to my left foot, (at least I think it was my left foot, as I was still blindfolded at the time).

I removed the blindfold, and by force of habit, I started to turn it around to read it's description, but was immediately stopped by the clerk who told me that it's really not an adventure if I have to read what it's about first, and he was right.

I finally got it home, and the un-rewound/"colorized" Documentary tape on The History of Sand Animation happened to be in the wrong box.

No, it didn't turn out quite like I planned, but then that ten minute anticipatory ride home from the store was really quite exciting, and every now and then when I recall it, it still kinda gives me goosebumps.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:28 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
I did the bungee jump thing in the early 90's. Jumped out of a perfectly good airplane in the 70's. Sold my airplane when I retired. Sold my Harley when I bought my Jeep Wrangler. No place to go scuba diving in Arizona and have no desire to do it in the cold waters of Alaska. I did all that fun stuff in my younger days. Although those powered paragliders in the Ram truck commercial have piqued my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or