U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:35 PM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Great post. To me, adventure means being open to new things even in routine activities. It carries the risk of the unknown, not necessarily big physical risk. The person I do NOT want to ever become is the one who is so afraid of having something be less than perfect that they never do anything.

Yep. That's life here; retiring in another country with another language. It's an ongoing adventure even in the routine things. "Less than perfect"....sure. But it would be anywhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:45 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Got two things left on my bucket list. See the Northern lights, safe, but timing is an issue. The other is to ride with a storm chaser and see a real tornado up close. Very few storm chasers die, so I am good with that. Timing is also an issue also. Not excited to spend two plus weeks in Nebraska or Oklahoma waiting for the opportunity. And last minute flights are expen$ive.
lol at storm chasing. Spent the majority of my life in central Iowa. No lack of sitting in a basement or lower floor listening to the roof being ripped off or watching rows of tornadoes go by in the distance.

We didn't travel much when we were younger because of working. We are now planning travel every year until one or both of us can't. Then we are going to limit the travel to the U.S.

This spring we went to Europe for the first time. Took a 10 day river cruise with Viking around the Netherlands and Belgium. We got off the boat, went to the airport, flew to Dublin, rented a car, and drove around the southern half of Ireland for 17 days. Then back to Amsterdam for 4 days. Had a great time!!

Next year it's Italy. Planning on another 30 day trip.

Every year until we can't. I am so ready for this.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,935,154 times
I posted an opinion on CityData. That's pretty adventurous, eh?

Old 08-26-2017, 02:45 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Was it in the Political forum?

Old 08-26-2017, 03:06 PM

2,517 posts, read 800,175 times
I would also like to go back to school and finish my degree. It may seem silly at my age (65) but it means a lot to me. I am surprised that more universities/colleges don't offer at least reduced tuition to seniors (like my almost alma mater, NYU ), for DEGREE programs, although I know a lot do for non credit courses.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 PM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep. That's life here; retiring in another country with another language.
I did that without leaving the U.S.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:48 PM

254 posts, read 475,576 times
My goal is to ride the Orient Express from London to Vladivostok. There are countless "luxury" trains that ride portions of the historic route but there are a few little known trains that also span the route.

Currently researching and plan to go in 2 years time or less.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:03 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,193 times
Originally Posted by Teak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Was it in the Political forum?
If so, I sincerely hope they had their flak jacket and helmet on.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 PM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
My goal is to ride the Orient Express from London to Vladivostok. There are countless "luxury" trains that ride portions of the historic route but there are a few little known trains that also span the route.

Currently researching and plan to go in 2 years time or less.
I haven't done the Orient Express, but my wife and I did go on one of the other great luxury train rides of the world a couple of years ago: The Ghan through Australia's Outback. Truly a wonderful experience.

The Ghan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwLcLs7qSiM

Old 08-26-2017, 04:59 PM

15,209 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

We have been to Europe and all over this country and Mexico and the Islands, etc....IMHO, traveling can be over-rated once you've seen enough to be satisfied. There simply isn't enough in time, resources or anything else for everyone in the world to see or do everything in the world.

Boring, eh?
But must travel be so goal-oriented? I'm not trying to "see or do everything in the world". At this point I don't even have a "bucket list" because I'm completely non-competitive, even with myself! But I like to travel and I can find plenty of places that suit my fancy at any particular moment so that's what I'll do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or