U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 AM

602 posts, read 259,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Not on this forum but I follow a couple that had a wonderful adventurous plan and kept a blog about doing it. Hope they don't mind me giving you their web address. http://fulltimetimeshare.com/blog Mike and Edie's adventures travelling from time share to time share for 2 to 5 years.

Scroll down to archives and have some interesting reading. Hint: It will be more interesting to start at the bottom and go forward from April 2013. They give a lot of good information that you will get at no other place is my opinion.

Then go to www.extraholidays.com and you can visit some of the same places they have been. We do that.
Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:05 AM

602 posts, read 259,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
lol at storm chasing. Spent the majority of my life in central Iowa. No lack of sitting in a basement or lower floor listening to the roof being ripped off or watching rows of tornadoes go by in the distance.

We didn't travel much when we were younger because of working. We are now planning travel every year until one or both of us can't. Then we are going to limit the travel to the U.S.

This spring we went to Europe for the first time. Took a 10 day river cruise with Viking around the Netherlands and Belgium. We got off the boat, went to the airport, flew to Dublin, rented a car, and drove around the southern half of Ireland for 17 days. Then back to Amsterdam for 4 days. Had a great time!!

Next year it's Italy. Planning on another 30 day trip.

Every year until we can't. I am so ready for this.
This sounds amazing. Would love to do something similar.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 3,934,653 times
Not yet in retirement, but when I do I might just sit back and watch all the type A personality baby boomers and their crazy adventures. "At 99, I went sky diving over an active volcano and landed in the ocean in the midst of a group of Tiger sharks", you know, that kind of person.

There will be some spectacular deaths, I reckon.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
[quote=Teak;49328204

There will be some spectacular deaths, I reckon. [/QUOTE]

It beats a slow rusting out!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
Yes! I like a little extra excitement of the non-drama kind with my recreating.

We still ride our motorcycles and have for over forty years without a serious accident. (Once partied with the Hell's Angels in a bowling alley on a rainy night in South Dakota.) The only difference now is that I don't travel so far or so often. And having done my share of riding in rain (and snow) I'm picky about the weather.

A trip in our sixties to Costa Rica had us living in a tree house, white water tubing, rock climbing, zip lining, horseback riding. I've para-sailed at four-hundred feet above the Pacific.

We've hiked in the Grand Canyon a couple of times and DH is an adventurous climber. Me, not so much. We did climb a Mayan pyramid in Coba a few years ago.

In the last ten years we've done road trips to Itasca, MN, the North Shore of Lake Superior, Eastern WI, down the west side of the Mississippi and later down the east side. Key West, the National Parks of Colorado and Utah and a trip through AZ and NM.

I still spend several months in Mexico by myself each winter and sometimes go more than once a year. Two years ago I took a place in the jungle just for a different experience. In a few weeks I'll be living in a small Mexican town near the ocean to dog sit for a friend and in February- April, '18 I've got a small condo next to a Carribbean beach. There are many undeveloped ruins and ceynotes (freshwater sinkholes) that can be explored without the use of guides. I'll do a little snorkeling with the wild sea turtles in Akumal while I'm there.

At home in the Midwest I like to walk on the prairies, in the woods and along the rivers and note the wildflowers and wildlife.

DH has a health issue that is slowing him down at the present so a trip to Peru/Macchu Pichu is on the shelf for now. Perhaps we will have to content ourselves with a cybervisit.

At home I also find excitement in the more feminine pursuits of flower gardening, sewing and baking/cooking. Every project is like a recalcitrant child which must be disciplined into readiness. That can be exciting, too. Heh.

I feel grateful that I have had a bevy of guardian angels, both human and ethereal, through the years which have made it possible for me to indulge my adventurous side.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 AM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It beats a slow rusting out!
One of those guys who grew up wearing a helmet and kneepads to use his tricycle?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:08 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,663,821 times
The other day I was feeling a like a daredevil and ran with a pair of scissors.
I guess that I still got it as I didn't fall down and stab myself.
I'm thinking about talking with my mouth full of food today to see if I can do it without choking.
I can feel the rush of adrenaline like I'm dancing with the devil.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:23 AM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
only if you'll weed.
Pulling or smoking?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:58 AM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This sounds amazing. Would love to do something similar.
It was amazing! Driving on the left can be an adventure. I drove, wife navigated. Until I got acclimated she spent time saying, "Ditch! Wall! Tree! Person, person, person!" Here are a couple of things I learned about driving on the left.

1. You have to realize the slope change in roads. Here we (without realizing it) pull slightly on the left side of the steering wheel to keep the car from going off he right side of the road. Do that there and you are helping the car drive off the left side. I ended up putting my left hand under my butt so I was only driving with my right hand until I got used to it.

2. Find a spot on the windshield by the right pillar. Learn that when the center stripe on the road is at that location you are centered on the road. Use it. A lot. Really helps on those cowpaths they call roads when you come to a sharp left turn (a lot of 90 degree turns). I ignored cars, trucks, bicycles, whatever was there at the same time. As long as my key (A tag from the rental company) was lined up I was fine. Worked very well.

3. Get used to roundabouts. They are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. There were places where the GPS would tell us to take a certain exit at one and as soon as we did it would tell us there was another one in 800 feet. One the plus side the signage for the exits are excellent. And the roads are marked better in them then here.

One of the best things we did there was find this gentleman.. Retired policeman. Well versed in the area and history. Just the two of us in a VW minivan for 8 1/2 hours around the Ring of Kerry. He goes places the tours buses can't because they are too big. Worth every penny.

Kinsale. We stayed at the Old Presbytery. Top floor with balcony. A long haul with luggage, but what a view! An absolutely beautiful town. If we would have any inkling we would have extended our stay. A place to return to for us. And the best chicken quesadilla I've ever had was at the Cozy Cafe down the hill around the corner.

Amsterdam. Went to a tapas restaurant. Close to our hotel. Ambassade. Sat outside and had tapas (duh) and red wine. When our wine glasses were empty I saw the waiter heading back inside. I got his attention, held the glass and two fingers. The man at the table next to us commented that I was very good at speaking Spanish. Spent the rest of the evening talking with them. Really nice couple. Van Gogh museum. A must see. Have someone who speaks dutch pronounce his name for you. Not the way we pronounce it. And down the street a ways the pancake place. Plate size thin pancakes and Coca-Cola in glass bottles made with real sugar. So, so much better than the crap we get here. Learn to dodge bicycles. Our tour guides all called them psycho-bikers. They will run over you if you don't move. I almost got hit when some guy came barreling through a crowd so I didn't see him coming. Very close call. He was pissed and so was I.

River cruise. Viking. What can I say. If you have the chance do it. Not necessarily the one we did. Just pick where you want to go and be prepared to be spoiled. Great food, great people, great tours.

And I'm leaving out so much of what we experienced.

Edit: The first words we learned in Ireland.

Roundabout
Go Mall (Slow. It's painted on the roads. Sometimes it says Slow. Others Go Mall.)
Feck!

Edit edit: Our Ireland itinerary.
Landed in Dublin - rented a car. Drove from the airport to Glendalough/Riversdale (out in the boonies)
Kilkenny
Waterford
Kinsale
Kenmare
Dingle - Got sick here - really sick
Galway
Trim - http://www.newgrange.com/
Dublin

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-27-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 11:05 AM

8,181 posts, read 11,902,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Edit: The first words we learned in Ireland.

Roundabout
Go Mall (Slow. It's painted on the roads. Sometimes it says Slow. Others Go Mall.)
Feck!
First word I learned was Slainte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or