Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:08 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times

Advertisements

Frankly, all the talk about sitting in our rooms counting money, avoiding snow like the plague, moving into age '55' facilities, and counting hospitals in a 30 mile radius from home is giving me the Heebee Jeebies! Hey, I get it, and know we're all aging, but at age 66, that is not stopping DW and I from planning some stupid / fun adventures in the upcoming years. Motorcycles, backpacking, nature photography, etc.

Anybody do anything wild lately? Bungy Jump? Yell at the cat? Cut your toenails with Snippy the Scissors?
Anything??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:13 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
well we are photographers and headed to cuba soon . already booked a cruise there .

Old 08-25-2017, 05:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Did some exhilarating mountain biking in WY, UT, CO this summer....that's about it. Many here have lived a long, ripe life because they avoided things like bungy jumping, sky diving and motorcycles.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:23 PM

then there is my wife photographing the latin kings as they pose for her . oh man was that a funny experience .
we hit the worst areas of nyc and shoot the street art .

she vanished for a bit so i went to find her and there she is shooting the gang members while they posed and threw gang signs .

a passing cop saw her and he stopped too to see what the heck she was doing there .

Old 08-25-2017, 05:28 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
I want to go to Antarctica

Old 08-25-2017, 05:30 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Frankly, all the talk about sitting in our rooms counting money, avoiding snow like the plague, moving into age '55' facilities, and counting hospitals in a 30 mile radius from home is giving me the Heebee Jeebies! Hey, I get it, and know we're all aging, but at age 66, that is not stopping DW and I from planning some stupid / fun adventures in the upcoming years. Motorcycles, backpacking, nature photography, etc.

Anybody do anything wild lately? Bungy Jump? Yell at the cat? Cut your toenails with Snippy the Scissors?
Anything??

I can certainly understand where you're coming from with your post, Michigan Greg, but I have to confess that at age 73 my adventures are mostly behind me. I did fly to New Orleans recently for a week of visiting with cousins and other relatives. Pretty damn tame. After two decades or so of pretty wild motorcycling adventures, both on and off-road, I gave up motorcycling at approximately age 64 or 65.

Three years ago I went on a solo road trip in my car - went as far east as Blue Ridge, Georgia. Saw all kinds of sights, museums, people, some blue grass concerts in Nashville, etc. But yes, that's all pretty tame too.

My hat is off to all the adventurers - I am just no longer one of them and satisfied with that status at this age. Now an adventure (to me) would be working up to walking four miles to see a film at the art house cinema then walking home. I used to do that as recently as three years ago, and I still can with a little preparation.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Did some exhilarating mountain biking in WY, UT, CO this summer....that's about it. Many here have lived a long, ripe life because they avoided things like bungy jumping, sky diving and motorcycles.
i did a 70 mile mountain biking trip 15 years ago . i came home without a scratch .

we lived in a row of cookie cutter homes with a community driveway . i washed the bike , re-lubed the chain and rode down the driveway .

a woman in an suv backed out and hit me shattering my collar bone . i told everyone it happened on the trip . no way was i going down in my driveway .

Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Got two things left on my bucket list. See the Northern lights, safe, but timing is an issue. The other is to ride with a storm chaser and see a real tornado up close. Very few storm chasers die, so I am good with that. Timing is also an issue also. Not excited to spend two plus weeks in Nebraska or Oklahoma waiting for the opportunity. And last minute flights are expen$ive.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:59 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Hoping to take a road trip from central NY to California. I'll be going solo and while it's exciting to think and plan for it, it is also a little bit scary.

But what is an adventure without a little fear?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:00 PM

i always wanted to be that person hanging on to a stop sign with my legs out like a flag in a storm .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement