Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:51 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times

Advertisements

Money is nice if ya got some, but then if ya don't, life can still be full of ''adventure''. It's not just a ''doing'', it's an outlook on life, an attitude.
''Champaign tastes and a beer barrel pocket book'', as my mom used to say, should not stop the ''adventurer at heart''. There's always something new to see or experience, even close to home on a budget.
I've got legs, a car, a Yamaha scooter, and a bicycle. That gets me many places locally doing many things. No cost to low cost. Riding way out on the back roads, camera in hand with my old dog along some days, exploring historical sites, national forests, river roads, mom and pop restaurants. Scooting down into the valley to sit alongside the creek to listen to the water babble over the rocks or watch a heron scan for dinner in the shallows. Off to the endless yard sales and thrift shops to hunt for treasures and then research their history and value for my on-line store. Golfing with an old friend, swapping stories of old days and ways, and snarfing hot dogs and pop while hunting for lost golf balls in the brush and watching the robins and squirrels watch us crazies swing at a little round thing with a funny stick. Ride my bike along a rail trail that once carried Lincoln on an inaugural train and now traces 100s of miles of glorious natural beauty alongside an inland waterway home to waterbirds, kayakers, fishermen, and history. Sit alongside the mighty Ohio River with a chicken dinner and watch the barges go by on their way to ports north and south and wave at the people on deck. Sit out under the stars at night or walk the dog in the morning as Venus rises in the eastern sky.
And on and on. All right outside my door. It's just a matter of being in tune and seeking it out. There is adventure in every day if we are open to finding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:19 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
We have had some awesome adventures. Too many to go through here. I personally spent a year in Iraq and that was an adventure. I turn 60 in less than 2 weeks and we have started in on bucket list adventures. Earlier this month a 5 night 6 day trip to Oahu. In November DW and I are on a 8 night 9 day adventure in Ecuador. We have plans to go back to Seoul Korea next summer though we have not settled on that yet. But since we have money we saved just to create our own adventures we are just scratching the surface. Let's hope that we all have good health in order to continue to have these adventures.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
Actually I consider moving across the country, decorating a new home, exploring my new city and making new friends my adventure.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:34 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No cost to low cost. Riding way out on the back roads, camera in hand with my old dog along some days, exploring historical sites, national forests, river roads, mom and pop restaurants. Scooting down into the valley to sit alongside the creek to listen to the water babble over the rocks or watch a heron scan for dinner in the shallows. Off to the endless yard sales and thrift shops to hunt for treasures and then research their history and value for my on-line store. Golfing with an old friend, swapping stories of old days and ways, and snarfing hot dogs and pop while hunting for lost golf balls in the brush and watching the robins and squirrels watch us crazies swing at a little round thing with a funny stick. Ride my bike along a rail trail that once carried Lincoln on an inaugural train and now traces 100s of miles of glorious natural beauty alongside an inland waterway home to waterbirds, kayakers, fishermen, and history. Sit alongside the mighty Ohio River with a chicken dinner and watch the barges go by on their way to ports north and south and wave at the people on deck. Sit out under the stars at night or walk the dog in the morning as Venus rises in the eastern sky.
And on and on. All right outside my door. It's just a matter of being in tune and seeking it out. There is adventure in every day if we are open to finding it.
I second this- minus the golf

Not quite retired yet. I will be retiring spring 2018. Well, technically many of you would call it "semi-retiring", but leaving corporate life to do what I want to do. I guess I didn't read the seniors guide to retirement manual as I have several adventures on the agenda for the next two years.

Hiking trip (5 days) through Smoky Mountain National Park.
Yellowstone National Park- guided hiking trip to see wildlife
Alaska- volunteering in the middle of nowhere and ferry hopping
Road trips to Maine, Arkansas, Colorado, and Tennessee to visit national and state parks with the mutts

Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Is there a special retirement home for folks like us?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:32 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Maybe a trip to Disneyland and roller coasters this November. We have friends here that want us to drive back with them in November. It depends on the new pet sitter we have for the boys. I won't board them. We are talking about going to India in January, but again, it depends on the pet sitter. My old one is "special needs" now and I'm reluctant to leave him. We will head up to Michigan to ski with the boys in the spring. If I can remember to book a cabin early enough that accepts dogs. There are some ice caves I'd love to see but have been closed the last couple of years.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM

309 posts, read 195,971 times
About a decade before I retired, I got into paranormal investigating, and I'm doing it "full-time" now. Enjoying lots of travel, historical locations, and meeting some very interesting people along the way.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimegoat View Post
About a decade before I retired, I got into paranormal investigating, and I'm doing it "full-time" now. Enjoying lots of travel, historical locations, and meeting some very interesting people along the way.
The spookiest place that I've ever visited is the Little Bighorn massacre site. My first visit was with my parents. My father and I both felt the presence of angry spirits, but my mother noticed nothing. My second trip was with my late wife. She found it very unpleasant and was anxious to leave.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Frankly, all the talk about sitting in our rooms counting money, avoiding snow like the plague, moving into age '55' facilities, and counting hospitals in a 30 mile radius from home is giving me the Heebee Jeebies! Hey, I get it, and know we're all aging, but at age 66, that is not stopping DW and I from planning some stupid / fun adventures in the upcoming years. Motorcycles, backpacking, nature photography, etc.

Anybody do anything wild lately? Bungy Jump? Yell at the cat? Cut your toenails with Snippy the Scissors?
Anything??
A few years ago we moved to a town where I thought there was good opportunity to have seagoing adventures. There was, and I much enjoyed that aspect of it, but for other reasons the entire region was wrong for us. The big (and unpleasant) adventure was moving out of there. It was a place with in-town hospital and others within an hour's drive, short walking distance to all services, bus service, old folks homes, plenty of seniors around, plenty of entertainment options etc etc.

And ya know what? We found out how convenience just cannot make up for priceless and increasingly-rare assets that typically are found in INconvenient or less-convenient living places. Not monetary assets, but natural ones such as you and I have mentioned in another thread.

I also got tired of the emphasis on grandkidsgrandkidsgrandkids and the clutching at so-called security in the form of nearby medical facilities, expectations that "other people" will take care of your wants, the weird mindset that walking across town and back a few miles was a major outing, the adoption of politics as a fun hobby that constituted one's identity (UGH).

So you could say our adventure was transitioning back to our formerly adventurous life. We've taken the first big step. There are still more to be ascended but we have our eyes firmly on the longterm goal. We are lucky to have small miracles from nature to observe all around us. Those things are priceless.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Money is nice if ya got some, but then if ya don't, life can still be full of ''adventure''. It's not just a ''doing'', it's an outlook on life, an attitude.
''Champaign tastes and a beer barrel pocket book'', as my mom used to say, should not stop the ''adventurer at heart''. There's always something new to see or experience, even close to home on a budget.
I've got legs, a car, a Yamaha scooter, and a bicycle. That gets me many places locally doing many things. No cost to low cost. Riding way out on the back roads, camera in hand with my old dog along some days, exploring historical sites, national forests, river roads, mom and pop restaurants. Scooting down into the valley to sit alongside the creek to listen to the water babble over the rocks or watch a heron scan for dinner in the shallows. Off to the endless yard sales and thrift shops to hunt for treasures and then research their history and value for my on-line store. Golfing with an old friend, swapping stories of old days and ways, and snarfing hot dogs and pop while hunting for lost golf balls in the brush and watching the robins and squirrels watch us crazies swing at a little round thing with a funny stick. Ride my bike along a rail trail that once carried Lincoln on an inaugural train and now traces 100s of miles of glorious natural beauty alongside an inland waterway home to waterbirds, kayakers, fishermen, and history. Sit alongside the mighty Ohio River with a chicken dinner and watch the barges go by on their way to ports north and south and wave at the people on deck. Sit out under the stars at night or walk the dog in the morning as Venus rises in the eastern sky.
Great post. To me, adventure means being open to new things even in routine activities. It carries the risk of the unknown, not necessarily big physical risk. The person I do NOT want to ever become is the one who is so afraid of having something be less than perfect that they never do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement