U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:38 AM

14,334 posts, read 15,153,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Not to mention the entire post comes across as judgemental except for the part about not wanting to come across as judgemental. I don't want to come across as judgemental but OP seems to have poor social skills
Or bragging? Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM

21,205 posts, read 11,826,310 times
I'm in my 50s, not retired, and take just a couple of pills but also some vitamins, and I use one of the containers. It's much easier to be able to quickly double check to see if I've taken them rather than trying to remember and not being sure. The reality seems to be that even without lots of serious health issues, many people do take at least some medications as they get older.

Or in some cases, there's no connection to age, such as the pill I take every day to prevent the type of severe migraine I get - in that case, age may even work in my favor because I might be able to stop taking them once I hit menopause, an example of getting older being a good thing health-wise! But still better to "pop a pill" every day rather than have this type of debilitating migraine.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM

9,151 posts, read 7,226,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok I have a question: I looked at that pill container, very cute but I only counted 6 spaces. What person only takes 6 days of pills and not 7? Did I miss something?

I have 4 of them. 2 I use for AM, 2 for PM. That way I can set them up for 2 weeks at a time.

Thyroid med (necessity) and another that's a necessity also. Fish oil for triglycerides. Different doses of the 1 for nighttime. I have such an ingrained habit of taking those pills every day that sometimes I'll think about it later and not remember if I did it or not. I do it without even thinking! So the holders help a lot. I think it's just smart to use them. Also makes traveling a whole lot easier.
I think you swallow day 1 as you're doling out the next 6 days into your organizer. Maybe?

Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,447,142 times
Thankfully, I only take a couple of pills a day (thyroid and hormones with a Parkinson drug for restless leg issues) and none of them are critical. So no, no pill container and be it as it may, many times, I miss taking my drugs anyway.

Now the dogs' meds - you can bet that I religiously give them their meds each and every day !

Old 08-28-2017, 10:34 AM

8,047 posts, read 5,907,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ok I have a question: I looked at that pill container, very cute but I only counted 6 spaces. What person only takes 6 days of pills and not 7? Did I miss something?
<> Also makes traveling a whole lot easier.
It works for me since I take 6 meds all at once in the morning. The other advantages of this one are the rounded corners and the secure latches. The 6 pockets is a disadvantage.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:00 PM

189 posts, read 107,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I consider myself a judgmental person (working on that ) but there has been an odd influx of people popping in to forums and declaring (stairs, pill boxes, etc.) "sad".

I find the psychology of a person who does that very odd. That would be like going to the Auto section and declaring that people who do not drive a standard as "sad" because the do not have the skills or energy or whatever.
That does happen (re:Auto). Really, anything someone does that someone else disapproves of merits a thread.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:14 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,047,806 times
We are in our 60s and use them for vitamins/supplements.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 PM

31,743 posts, read 20,026,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
That does happen (re:Auto). Really, anything someone does that someone else disapproves of merits a thread.

I have enough trouble running my own life to worry about what other people are doing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-28-2017, 03:45 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,446,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?

No, no! No judging at all! People who take medications deserve to be held in contempt. What are they thinking? How dare they get old and need meds. It's outrageous!

So what was she supposed to do? Just die because you don't want to see her pill case or think about taking medications? What difference does it make to anyone else if she takes medications?

Old 08-28-2017, 04:13 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I consider myself a judgmental person (working on that ) but there has been an odd influx of people popping in to forums and declaring (stairs, pill boxes, etc.) "sad".

I find the psychology of a person who does that very odd. That would be like going to the Auto section and declaring that people who do not drive a standard as "sad" because the do not have the skills or energy or whatever.

Maybe they are using that word because it seems to be our president's favorite word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or