U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times

Advertisements

I carry a one day segment in my man purse along for emergency meds along with my EpiPen, and extra tooth goop.

I have two weekly travel ones, it's just easier than taking a whole bunch if bottles or trying to sort out pills in a Ziploc bag.

I take about 14 scripts daily.

At home they are organized in a drawer by time I take them. Generally a bunch in morning, repeat 12 hours later and one bed time pill.

I take them in two segment s in the morning and two segments in the afternoon so I'm not overloaded with water and pills. I take some before breakfast and some just after. Rinse and repeat for dinner.

Not a problem YET.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM

39,650 posts, read 2,995,231 times
I get the am/pm,containers from the dollar tree, I find them easier to use than some of the fancy ones. Plus at only a buck a box it is not a budget breaker.

Last edited by evening sun; 08-26-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 PM

4,825 posts, read 1,990,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
It's part of living past sixty. By sixty you've had ample time to create the next generation. You start losing teeth. Your prostate begins choking off your urine flow. Your heart isn't what it was at thirty.

Then comes retirement and you don't know what day of the week that it is, and what's more you don't care. The day of the week pill case is there to tell you that you forgot your BP pill because you didn't have coffee this morning, and you always have your pill with your coffee.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:39 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,147,049 times
Nope. Never been on any meds and hope to keep it that way.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:41 PM

21,876 posts, read 14,390,517 times
Quote:
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
I use one for travel purposes.

As you get older you get problems, and so you might get a prescription. But I also take a vitamin pill and antihistamine at night. Also I take iron, nicacin and B 12. So not all my pills are prescriptions.

I think you have a condescending attitude about people who take meds. If you live long enough you will probably have to take at least a blood pressure pill and/or a cholesterol pill. Very few of us do not have to take those, but I know there are some lucky ones who do not.

You can easily Google side effects from any med you might take. And the side effects are given to you in paper form when you get your first prescription. And, when the doc prescribes, it is a good to think to ask if the med will raise your blood sugar, your cholesterol or have other bad side effects. He or she should be able to talk to you about this.

My point is, some of take supplements and other meds for minor conditions. Some of us take meds for more serious conditions. Frankly I am thankful for my blood pressure meds. I think they will help me live longer.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,918,472 times
I can't use a pill container because I take too many pills a day. I've had to take about 20-30 pills daily for the past 25 years. That happens when you've had several, serious, life-long diseases. And that was before my recent cancer diagnosis.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:05 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How peculiar, being so nonjudgmental about something that you started a thread about it.
I was thinking the same. I do have one of those I use for vitamins I take daily.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:10 PM

17,689 posts, read 4,080,266 times
Quote:

I have one for travel.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:14 PM

5,422 posts, read 15,471,744 times
I work for an electronics company and we are developing a pill-reminder in the form of a wrist watch. When it's time to take your pills, it announces this to you with the Alexa voice (from Amazon Echo). If you forget, Alexa will remind you. I'm having fun designing it, so I hope it goes over well.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:17 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,074,598 times
A pill container is not necessarily a sign of old age, decrepitude, and loss of mental acuity. Try having a skiing accident, or a car accident, or any other unforeseen injury or illness come up when you're young. Lots of meds will be coming your way and trying to keep them straight can be a challenge no matter your age. Think "one hour before a meal or two hours after" but not near "xyz" med, but OK with "abc" med and some every four hours, some every six, some at 8 hour intervals, etc. I suspect the OP hasn't faced anything like that yet.

Frankly, as someone who has had life threatening allergies and an immunodeficiency since the age of three, my parents and I would have been hard-pressed to get me this far without an organization tool for my meds.

Best to think twice before proclaiming that "I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or