U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:48 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,538,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
Yes it is a good way to keep track of your meds. I hate pills myself but when the time comes you do what you gotta do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:02 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
I have two of them, one for home, one for travel that's deeper for the multiple weeks I'll be away. You don't want to be carrying the vials they come in and you don't need all of them when you travel so you use the days of the week case to take only what you need.

Your post doesn't make sense. You are asking about the containers but commenting on pill taking. I take pills twice a day. The case will show me if I forgot to take them.

Did you ever take birth control pills? The case is the same reason for both.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:38 PM

4,676 posts, read 3,248,729 times
I have two that I use when I travel. One for prescription pills, the other for any supplements I may be taking.

I've made a decision that many of you might not agree with. I take a multiple vitamin every day. At one time I took a few others.... Vit. D, E, magnesium, etc. Then I decided to get the magnifying glass out and have a look at what the multiple vitamin has in it. That's when I stopped all the others. And my body does not seem to miss the extras. A medical person told me one time that anything we take that our body does not need comes out in our urine.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,006,006 times
I have a bunch of these. Why? Because I often cannot remember whether or not I have taken my meds. And some of them matter - such as my metformin for Type 2 diabetes.

Why do I have a bunch of them? Because (as might be expected given the above) I often cannot remember where I put the last one I was using, nor where any of the ones I have bought in the past have gotten to. So ... I end up shelling out another $2 or so for yet another 7 day med minder.

A couple of days ago I could not remember whether or not I had taken my metformin in the last 5 minutes. I could remember intending to take it, but no clear memory to tell me whether or not I DID take it. This happened about a dozen times over the course of the day, clumped together into 3 "clusters" of this event. So either I never took any at all - or I took it anywhere from 1 to 12 times (attempting to get to the 2 times I was supposed to take it and never remembering whether or not I already took it).

So I went out and bought yet another 7 day med minder - at the dollar store this time so at least it only cost me a buck.

I'm not yet 60. Yay cognitive deficits 20 years early! LOL!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:16 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yeh, I think back when I was age 31 I was more concerned about the color of my lipstick and nail polish and if my shoes were in style than whether or not some older person carried a pill holder.
LOL, I think at age 31 if I ever thought of pill holders at all it would have been to hope I never had to take that many pills to need them. Fast forward and there I am, though.

But I just have the bottles on hand and depend on a routine to make sure I take them. I take the high blood pressure and one-half beta blocker pill, the statin and a krill oil pill in the AM. After lunch/brunch I take the vitamins, and other supplements, in the evening the eyedrops for glaucoma ( that wouldn't work in a pill holder anyway) and the other half of the beta blocker pill.

Reading these posts made me remember I need to take those supplements.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 PM

3,569 posts, read 855,745 times
Quote:
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
I'm not sure why it bothers you that some people use those containers.

The child of a relative takes several medications everyday; also a rriend who is in her 30s.

If you're in perfect health and don't need medication, good for you.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,059,960 times
I dont take any prescription drugs but I do take supplements. I used a circular weekly dispenser for a bit but quit. I felt like I was flying through the week, one minute I was filling it on Sunday then it was Saturday in what seemed like a blink.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:48 PM

979 posts, read 606,557 times
Quote:

I am an age 60 year old female still working full time R.N. and following having a hysterectomy at age 45 after being diagnosed with endometrial cancer that surgery saved my life but the after effects of that surgery resulted in an elevated BP and Cholesterol and bone loss which requires me to take a couple of low dose prescription medications and several vitamins daily.

Yup, I also have one of those med paks I take with me to work since I take my BP med and vitamins during the day, but for me this is a very minor inconvenience since had I not had the surgery that resulted in me having to take these medications my life would have been over!!!

Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
Does anyone else have one with a battery operated alarm? I used one when I first started taking meds and simply forgot to take them, or would go to sleep early and miss the last dose.

I use an online pharmacy now that packages my meds and dispenses them, wrapped and labeled, from something resembling a scotch tape dispenser.

You should hang around OP. I think we have a young man for you

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM

6,422 posts, read 4,181,378 times
Besides being a good way to see if you remembered to take your meds, it is also a good way to see if you are running short of your prescriptions so you can order them before you run out. This is especially beneficial if you use a mail order pharmacy, and it might take a week to get them to your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or