Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,871,535 times

Advertisements

I have the same question as LaylaM...........why is a 31yo hanging out in the retirement forum?? Sounds like they need to get a life of their own instead of worrying about what everyone who is twice their age is doing.

Yes, I have an AM/PM one. I only take 1 prescription (muscle relaxant for my back which I injured in my 30s.....so be sure you don't have any kind of accident....or your "life will be over"), but I take other supplements that my doc has suggested due to my age and to keep me from having to take other prescriptions that are bad for my health. I have arthritis so I take a couple for that. Calcium and vitamin D because I am female and am a redhead so I have to stay out of the sun. And lastly I have diverticulosis, so I take a probiotic, stool softener (oops, did that word offend your young sensibilities???), and a fiber supplement to keep any inflammations in check. I would rather take those than have an extremely painful flare-up.

You never know what will happen that will force you to have to take a pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.
3. You probably have a ton of health issues.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
My life would be over if I didn't pop the pill and even with horrible side effects it's worth it.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:42 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How peculiar, being so nonjudgmental about something that you started a thread about it.
Not to mention the entire post comes across as judgemental except for the part about not wanting to come across as judgemental. I don't want to come across as judgemental but OP seems to have poor social skills

Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I use the pill containers, one for AM and one for PM medications.

In fact, I have eight sets of them and fill them up eight weeks at a time. That way, if I run out, I know well in advance what I need to get.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Here's my travel container:
https://www.amazon.com/Fecedy-Waterp...dp/B01568HFOE/
Search for pill container on Amazon and you'll see 344 pages of them. Must be a common problem.
Ok I have a question: I looked at that pill container, very cute but I only counted 6 spaces. What person only takes 6 days of pills and not 7? Did I miss something?

I have 4 of them. 2 I use for AM, 2 for PM. That way I can set them up for 2 weeks at a time.

Thyroid med (necessity) and another that's a necessity also. Fish oil for triglycerides. Different doses of the 1 for nighttime. I have such an ingrained habit of taking those pills every day that sometimes I'll think about it later and not remember if I did it or not. I do it without even thinking! So the holders help a lot. I think it's just smart to use them. Also makes traveling a whole lot easier.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
My last elderly rescue dog took a lot of pills, for her heart and arthritis, as well as other conditions. I got a couple of these pill containers for her and really liked them. They closed tightly, which can be a problem with any pill containers. I kept them after she died, in case I need to travel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-28-2017, 05:54 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
Not judging, but is needing to pop so many pills you have those full week containers for every day very common for older folks? I saw someone pull one out and I just think it would be awful for several reasons:

1. I hate having to take pills at all, not just due to the inconvenience but I am always paranoid that they'll give bad side effects or cause some bizarre bad reaction.
2. I have a huge trouble swallowing pills, sad I know but I have choked on pills several times and it really bothers me.

Granted, this woman looked to be in her 60s-70s but still. I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day. Is it common for older folks?
You might want to examine the quality of your existence if taking a few seconds to pop several pills every day is the tipping point where your life becomes too burdensome to continue on.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I only take two (different medications) a day, and have not had to resort to those containers yet. My memory still works well enough to remember whether I took it or not, and I'm in a routine to take one with my first cup of morning coffee, the other after dinner.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:

Even at a younger age some people will have an issue remembering if they took their medicine. My wife is pretty sharp, takes only one pill a day but sometimes doesn't remember. Since it is something you do everyday without really thinking about it most people can become confused.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
I have several. Much more convenient to open one container than six every day. Common sense.

Oh, and OP, I hope to live a looooong time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement