Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times

Advertisements

I use one for my vitamins so I don't have to open 5 bottles every single day. It's a time saver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I have one. It holds multivitamins, mineral supplements, and glucosamine. It's much more convenient to count out the pills once a week and have them in a convenient container than open each bottle daily.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
A pill container is not necessarily a sign of old age, decrepitude, and loss of mental acuity. Try having a skiing accident, or a car accident, or any other unforeseen injury or illness come up when you're young. Lots of meds will be coming your way and trying to keep them straight can be a challenge no matter your age. Think "one hour before a meal or two hours after" but not near "xyz" med, but OK with "abc" med and some every four hours, some every six, some at 8 hour intervals, etc. I suspect the OP hasn't faced anything like that yet.

Frankly, as someone who has had life threatening allergies and an immunodeficiency since the age of three, my parents and I would have been hard-pressed to get me this far without an organization tool for my meds.

Best to think twice before proclaiming that "I'd think my life is over if I need to pop several pills every day."
Just chalk her statement up to youthful naivete. With maturity she might learn that sometimes just the reverse can be true even for her. Someday her life could be over if she didn't pop several pills every day. One never knows.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Geez, I'd hate to see when you are being judgmental!

I used one. Had a thyroid pill, and HPB, was also taking Lyrica, a multi vitamin (3 days a week), a b complex, and some other supplements. It made it easy, and honestly, I would forget if I taken them that day, so in the pill container I knew. It saved me time from having to open all the bottles.

I'm sure this will send you over the edge..... I had the one with the day and night!!

Weird, I had no desire to do myself in or anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
you should hang around op. I think we have a young man for you
rofl!

Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
I only take three prescription meds a day, but the pill minder is handy for a lot of reasons (some already mentioned, such as forgetfulness or an early warning that you need to reorder.). It's also great for travel because it takes up less space than prescription bottles.

My pill minder is a small one, but Mr. Bay has a really big one with AM and PM compartments. He has heart, prostate and cholesterol issues and takes five different medications, each on a different dosage schedule, plus baby aspirin, a vitamin and a supplement for his eyes. Having a pill minder makes keeping track of his medication a lot easier.

He's 76 and I am 68. I don't think my life is over yet! Mr. Bay's life isn't over, either, or I wouldn't still be picking up his dirty socks.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:11 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I work for an electronics company and we are developing a pill-reminder in the form of a wrist watch. When it's time to take your pills, it announces this to you with the Alexa voice (from Amazon Echo). If you forget, Alexa will remind you. I'm having fun designing it, so I hope it goes over well.
I take blood pressure pills once a day. I always have my cellphone in my pocket, so I have my cellphone calendar alert set to remind me. If I had to take meds multiple times per day, something like what you are working on might be more helpful. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I don't know what the Alexa voice sounds like, but I hope it isn't high-pitched.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I have three. What's your point?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
People forgetting to take their meds is a really big factor in health, med effectiveness and hospital (re)admissions.

Pill minders reduce this forgetting. Health care providers encourage their use.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:38 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
People forgetting to take their meds is a really big factor in health, med effectiveness and hospital (re)admissions.

Pill minders reduce this forgetting. Health care providers encourage their use.
For sure, it's much better to use a pill minder or container to keep track of those pills, or as an easy indicator of whether or not you've taken them, than to have a recurrence of ugly symptoms to tell you you've forgotten to take them. Ask me how I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement