U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,346,551 times

Advertisements

You can stop much of the junk mail and solicitations. I added my name to this list years ago. I think it used to be called Direct Mail Advertisers Assn.

https://thedma.org/accountability/dma-choice/
DMAchoice™ is an online tool developed by the Data & Marketing Association to help you manage your mail. This site is part of a larger program designed to respond to consumers' concerns over the amount of mail they receive, and it is the evolution of the DMA's Mail Preference Service created in 1971.

Also, contact all of your credit card companies, banks, mail order companies, and online companies you buy from to tell them you do NOT want your name shared with any of their "associate" companies. This information is usually included in the "Privacy Notice" they send you at least once a year by law.

This won't stop all of the junk but it will cut it down significantly. Do it for yourself and for any elders you know who could use the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:21 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Not personally, but at least one of my grandmothers was targeted by various scams and told me about them.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:16 PM

15,222 posts, read 4,025,863 times
To keep it very short....

Our system of capitalism allows the ripping off of weak populations.

It's a shame, but it's true. There is a lot of money in it and most of it is legal (to at least some degree). Try to outlaw it (it has been tried) and the lobbying groups will win the day...

Predatory Capitalism...is how I describe it. Our system is set up to reward the sneaky and those who can lie with a straight face, while the honorable person who has lost some of their facilities is prey.

At some point this country has to decide to be about The People as opposed to be about the Almighty Buck and the "rights" of business to make money off of any and every scheme.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Thank goodness it was very short otherwise I might write a long reply to rebuke your comment about capitalism. Let's not get carry away about bashing capitalism. Any system, you will have people take advantage of other people. Human beings are weak.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
To keep it very short....

Our system of capitalism allows the ripping off of weak populations.

It's a shame, but it's true. There is a lot of money in it and most of it is legal (to at least some degree). Try to outlaw it (it has been tried) and the lobbying groups will win the day...

Predatory Capitalism...is how I describe it. Our system is set up to reward the sneaky and those who can lie with a straight face, while the honorable person who has lost some of their facilities is prey.

At some point this country has to decide to be about The People as opposed to be about the Almighty Buck and the "rights" of business to make money off of any and every scheme.
Can you name a successful country not using capitalism and tell us what system they use? Does this system work in all the country that use it? If not is the US better or worse?

Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,536,337 times
FIL co signed almost half a million in college tuition for grandsons (2)....both graduated and from what I see from the outside, not paying the bill and leaving the FIL on the hook....he won't talk about it, but from where I stand, these kids have menial jobs (if any) and travel a lot....not sure how they pay for all of this

Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 AM

7,100 posts, read 3,461,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
FIL co signed almost half a million in college tuition for grandsons (2)....both graduated and from what I see from the outside, not paying the bill and leaving the FIL on the hook....he won't talk about it, but from where I stand, these kids have menial jobs (if any) and travel a lot....not sure how they pay for all of this
Family members are often the source of elder financial abuse. One SIL got her Dad to pay both her kids' private college....he even took out a Line of Credit for it. When her sister and brother found out they freaked out....they each put their kids through college by means of loans, their own savings. My FIL was very kind, if either of the other siblings asked for $$$ he would have helped out. But only one adult child asked and it was a big secret, until it wasn't. Greed!

After my FIL died, both of the other sibs wanted my SIL to pay back the college monies out of her share of estate. But there was no indication it was a loan and all the sibs got the same share of estate, regardless of the largess they took during my FIL's lifetime.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,975,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Family members are often the source of elder financial abuse. One SIL got her Dad to pay both her kids' private college....he even took out a Line of Credit for it. When her sister and brother found out they freaked out....they each put their kids through college by means of loans, their own savings. My FIL was very kind, if either of the other siblings asked for $$$ he would have helped out. But only one adult child asked and it was a big secret, until it wasn't. Greed!

After my FIL died, both of the other sibs wanted my SIL to pay back the college monies out of her share of estate. But there was no indication it was a loan and all the sibs got the same share of estate, regardless of the largess they took during my FIL's lifetime.
People do strange things when it comes to money...

I never understood anyone so selfish to think they are entitled to someone else's money, and just take it all as if it were lottery winnings, without caring about how it will affect the giver and other heirs.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,856,112 times
We have well documented history of my SIL taking advantage of her parents. When she divorced and had two kids... she'd cry and call for money. Then the parents visited and saw how stacked their closest were with the newest fashions and they had the latest gadgets. Her ex husband was paying mightily for his kids and we're pretty certain she siphoned off a lot for herself.

She also has been crying wolf for years.... said outright that she deserved a more expensive wedding because her parents had the money to splurge on her. Seriously. Who does this?

And now she's trying to finagle her mother's last wishes that her estate be divided equally. Changing the trust - to have her be the decider and able to buy real estate, gifts, etc. Told her mother "What do you care what happens to your money when you're gone?". MIL blew a gasket over that.

Because of course she's so deserving. NOT.

She's a sociopath and a con. And our eyes are open. She will not succeed.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:33 AM

195 posts, read 106,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We have well documented history of my SIL taking advantage of her parents. When she divorced and had two kids... she'd cry and call for money. Then the parents visited and saw how stacked their closest were with the newest fashions and they had the latest gadgets. Her ex husband was paying mightily for his kids and we're pretty certain she siphoned off a lot for herself.

She also has been crying wolf for years.... said outright that she deserved a more expensive wedding because her parents had the money to splurge on her. Seriously. Who does this?

And now she's trying to finagle her mother's last wishes that her estate be divided equally. Changing the trust - to have her be the decider and able to buy real estate, gifts, etc. Told her mother "What do you care what happens to your money when you're gone?". MIL blew a gasket over that.

Because of course she's so deserving. NOT.

She's a sociopath and a con. And our eyes are open. She will not succeed.
My husband's daughter is just like that. She used to get him to pay her rent, utilities, etc. Several years ago , in her 30's, she decided to marry . She was 7 months pregnant and instead of going to a Justice of the Peace she had a wedding with a reception at a restaurant and had them present dear old dad with the bill.

When she would call and ask for money to put oil in the tank "so that the kids don't freeze to death" my husband would do it. I would point out that she and her husband are always sporting new tattoos and they don't come cheap so maybe she should put her tattoo money toward oil.

Just because my hubby has dementia it doesn't mean he is stupid. He wasn't good at turning her down but he also knew he was being played so he asked me to take him to the bank and he closed his account. I do all of the bill paying anyway so he really didn't need it. I asked why he was doing this and he told me that when his daughter asks him for money he can tell her that he doesn't have an account anymore so she will have to call me to ask (and she dislikes me enough to never do that). Clever man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or