U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 PM

890 posts, read 680,680 times

Advertisements

Have you experienced or do you have family and friends who have?

We all do. I have a deceased aunt who sold her home for a small amount, maybe $100 to a shark. I found out about it in the local newspaper. Wasn't close to her and her children so not quite sure how it ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:12 PM

7,121 posts, read 3,485,570 times
Read this. I know the woman (the daughter). The scariest part of the story is that Chase Bank didn't want to give her the money back EVEN AFTER they admitted their employee had stolen it. In this family, the children knew what their Dad had saved; he shared that info with them. You have to wonder how much money gets stolen from elders and the children don't even know what the parent had in savings.

Livermore case puts spotlight on elder abuse – East Bay Times

Quote:
Magel then filed an affidavit with Chase’s claims department, and in July the bank denied the claim in a form letter saying too much time had passed for the funds to be eligible for reimbursement. Magel responded by filing a complaint with Department of Treasury and sent a letter to JP Morgan Chase CEO James Dimon threatening legal action. The following month, Chase refunded the money with interest, but Magel contends that the bank should have paid additional interest that would have accrued had the money been left untouched.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:32 PM

13,185 posts, read 20,850,740 times
My mother(91) recently had a bad fall, and is in a rehab center. The amount of pleas for money that fill her mailbox daily is horrifying, and another example of elder abuse IMO. Some of them have hand-written envelopes and appear to be get-well cards so we don't catch them all before she sees them, and she's a sucker for the face of a hungry child. We finally had to tell her she just plain can't afford to support every single charity that requests money. I shudder to think of how much she's given away over the past few years.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:53 PM

8,427 posts, read 9,181,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Have you experienced or do you have family and friends who have?

We all do. I have a deceased aunt who sold her home for a small amount, maybe $100 to a shark. I found out about it in the local newspaper. Wasn't close to her and her children so not quite sure how it ended.
Retired SW here and wondering what your question is. No one sells a house for $100.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 PM

364 posts, read 554,609 times
I was discussing some cases with a couple of my brothers and their wives recently. Both women had struggled to protect their fathers. One's father had been taken advantage of by strangers who offered to do odd jobs and "help out." They ended up moving in with him and taking his money and abusing him. She and her sisters had a terrible time getting them evicted because he didn't want to admit what was going on. My other sister-in-law's father was constantly being hit on by get-rich fraudsters. She told me of one instance where he went to his bank to send $10,000 to one of them. The people in the bank knew him and told him, no, that guy was trying to take his money. So he went to another branch where he was a stranger and did the transfer. She has had to put limits on the amount of money he can withdraw from his accounts.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:00 PM
mlb

3,211 posts, read 2,874,352 times
I thank god my MIL is smart enough to not fall for all the scams that come her way.

She called us once - frightened that she had given her social security number to a company that called her over the phone..... we called and cancelled her subscription and told them we would report them to the police.

She and my FIL were also persuaded to use their Wachovia brokers FATHER as their POA. Red flags there. We reported him to his supervisors.

And the funniest/ saddest.... my FIL passed away at age 90. Three weeks later an old family friend presented himself at MILs door with his son and proposed marriage.

Thankfully she turned him down.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:09 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,798,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
And the funniest/ saddest.... my FIL passed away at age 90. Three weeks later an old family friend presented himself at MILs door with his son and proposed marriage.
Proposed your MIL marry the son or marry him?

Either way, what is the matter with people?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 PM
mlb

3,211 posts, read 2,874,352 times
Marry him - and he was just 90 too

He was a gambler.... didn't have enough $$$ to live out the rest of his life.

Just another alter kocher.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:15 PM

5,488 posts, read 2,872,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Retired SW here and wondering what your question is. No one sells a house for $100.
Unless the seller had dementia.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:17 PM

5,488 posts, read 2,872,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Marry him - and he was just 90 too

He was a gambler.... didn't have enough $$$ to live out the rest of his life.

Just another alter kocher.
Yecccchh. Makes me want to offer him a knuckle sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or