U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 PM

3,018 posts, read 2,239,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post
What does a fulfilling life mean to you?

To have tried to accomplish the dreams of my youth. Granted nothing panned mind you out but no middle age crisis for me. I have very few regrets. I'll be 60 next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:06 PM

510 posts, read 304,815 times
To strive with your last ounce of courage... to reach the unreachable star

Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
To strive with your last ounce of courage... to reach the unreachable star

Don't quit your day job.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM

510 posts, read 304,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Don't quit your day job.
HA! Beat you to it. I was able to quit that some years ago.

Now I strive to reach the reachable star, but only after sleeping in, and after a 3rd cup of coffee and watching "Diagnosis Murder." Except on days when I don't feel like it. ;-)

Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 PM

888 posts, read 585,458 times
Fulfillment is answering the question yourself.

Pretty much the same with happiness--no one but you knows the answer.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:12 PM

5,116 posts, read 4,625,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Don't quit your day job.
Extra points awarded for the irony of posting the above in a Retirement forum.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
I believe in reincarnation. I believe we have multiple lives with the goal of finding a real peace where we need not have more. Those who have/are 'old souls' or have learned to let go. But when we find real peace inside, we may still have lives, and strive to add something good to others.

I went to a church school (Episcopal) and they had religious instruction if parents chose. Somehow it didn't feel right to me. I could feel spirituality, but it didn't fit into the mantra. It wasn't in a formalized set of words, but what lay beneath them. I loved the ceremony because to me it was inspiring. But I didn't need it. Something I feel about this life says that it is special. That the last ended early and bad and added much darkness. I never talked about that, but stories of those who survived bad things and freed themselves, at least some, from the memory have always deeply drawn me in

I've always been a loner. The real friends I have are deep, but there are few. I know a lot of people, and have enjoyed them at places we all like, but its not the same as when you can talk on the phone about really moving things until the phone dies. I keep a lot inside. I'm careful who I let in. I have no way of really knowing why, except even as a small kid I was like that.

By its full defination, it has been a fufilling life. No, illness has gotten in the way a lot, but the people who I count as friends are real ones. I'm still a loner, and people where it stays 'surface' are the usual. The ones who stick will always be friends, even if I don't see them again. But I when I was born into this life, I had to sort out the darkness from the light, and let go the dark, and let the light make me stronger. And to forgive myself for not being who I wanted to be.

I've had to think heavily on my life, and in the end it has mattered, and born fruit. Illness changed the way I'd planned, but taught me to accept what was, for it has taught me much. It had costs. I gave up on college, when after delay from illness I got a real job offer. I still wish I could finish college. I might have made a different one now. But I've also learned to forgive myself for things which didn't work as planned, for something good has still come from it.

I've grown, with the problems. I confront them very differently now. I don't look for reasons why its all disastor, but whats bad and good and will open the door out. I missed out on things, but I've learned to see how they are past. Those birds have flown. But I'm changed too, so its time to find the things which are out there, waiting for me where joy will live.

There are good things ahead, and I see much more light in life, but I've freed myself from my cage of sad and can see clearly.

So, yes, despite the negatives, this has been a fufilling life with much more to come.

Last edited by nightbird47; 08-30-2017 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,429,934 times
Like the Harley t-shirt says "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"

Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 PM

7,924 posts, read 5,039,870 times
It's the eternal question, isn't it? Fulfillment could be entertainment, novelty, escape. But that's somehow insufficient, isn't it? Why must necessarily the task be noble, momentous and great, for it to qualify as being legitimately fulfilling? And yet it must be! Who among us would assert to the contrary?

Let me post a counter-question: what is the border between strident desire for fulfillment, and outright vanity?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 AM

7,663 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post
What does a fulfilling life mean to you?
Having the courage to pursue your dreams, however meaningless or trivial they may seem to others, instead of sitting at home and complaining about how bored you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or