Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM

25 posts, read 18,371 times

Advertisements

@Fumbling, that's great We need more great people like you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 AM

@meo92953 , Absolutely awesome to hear. Thank you for all the work you to do to make a difference in the world!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 AM

@NYgal1542: You're absolutely right. Most of us are fortunate to have what we have already. Let's make the most out of it!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 AM

25,388 posts, read 17,061,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post
What does a fulfilling life mean to you?
I have fulfilling moments. But a fulfilling life? Dunno about that.

#1 to me is financial comfort. I think that would be number one on most people's list.
Fulfilling moments are had by helping random people, tending to my water garden and flowers, and - curiously enough - repairing or improving the things around me like the house and cars and lawn care equipment. I get fulfillment knowing that I have perfectly functioning 27 year old pickup and 35 year old leaf mulcher. Really. That makes me feel cool.

All this other "family and friends" stuff never meant anything to me. My family was not a positive influence during my formative years, and I see more cases where the family bogs down individuals than I do where the family actually helps develop its members.
My step daughters find me useful, but not terribly interesting.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,771,078 times
God has created mankind with an inborn knowledge of and desire for God (Rom 1:18-20, Psalm 37:4). This is often referred to as a "God-shaped hole in one's heart," since only God can truly satisfy this heart-level desire with "the peace of God that passes all understanding" (Phil 4:7).

People can have all the possessions and fame that this world offers - and yet, remain empty and unfulfilled throughout this life --- and lose everything in the next.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:17 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,294,966 times
Being content with who you are as a person.

Helping others succeed, become happy, be fulfilled.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,477,733 times
At this point I have no idea, apparently.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:43 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,158,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post
What does a fulfilling life mean to you?
To ME it means:

1. Having a loving spouse.

2. Having children that you raise well and assist into adulthood by helping them achieve a college education and meaningful career.

3. Good health.

4. Obtaining pleasure and satisfaction from your job or occupation. I take great pleasure practicing a profession--law--and knowing that I am expert in some specialized areas of it.

5. Having a comfortable income.

6. Having a nice home, or homes, in good areas of the country.

7. Knowing you will have a comfortable retirement based on career choices and savings decisions made during your life.

8. I do not assert that one needs to belong to a particular religion or even have a belief in a creator to be happy. I do assert though that one needs to be at peace with the decisions one has made about spirituality and with eventually dying.

9. Friends. I hope that everyone has a minimum of three good friends that last most of their lives.

10. Hobbies and activities. For me, these include traveling, reading, skiing, hiking, teaching a course for AARP, and participating in current affairs and politics.

I suppose my life has been richer than I ever imagined. I believe I have reached all ten of these goals.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:51 PM

11,957 posts, read 8,282,358 times
For me it means keeping the regrets in the attic behind a locked door, learning how to get my emotional needs met and using good physical health habits, practicing positive thinking and being kind to myself. I think my circumstances have become less important to me than how I think about them. In some cases that has required creative efforts!

I have a strong need to be of use to others and if I ignore that I don't feel very fulfilled. "Useless" would be a good word.

My fun need is intense curiosity. I'm interested in nearly everything which means that to meet that need requires a lot of exploring and reading. I'd feel lost without those two things, also.

Finally, although I've spent a lifetime serving others, I would find little satisfaction in resting on my laurels. It always feels like what I did yesterday doesn't count. It may to others, but not to me. Every day is a new chance to create a fulfilling life. Living in the now makes that possible.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,824,943 times
So many people in this world have little choice in their life's direction and fulfillment, whether due to being born female, or a minority in a country that represses them due to religion, sexual preference, skin color, culture heritage or many other characteristics.

To have a completely fulfilled life means to me that a person can use their natural gifts to the highest and best use, no matter who they are. It doesn't mean everyone should be astronauts or internet millionaires, being a teacher or a parent can provide complete fulfillment.

200 years ago women couldn't be doctors and people of color were slaves forbidden to learn how to read and write. Fulfillment means equal opportunity to use your talents.

A fulfilling life means that you have no regrets when you die, no matter what age that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement