U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM

25 posts, read 14,374 times

Advertisements

What does a fulfilling life mean to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM

23,694 posts, read 8,243,442 times
All in all with chronic pain and aging, I'm content as there is so much I can't change.

Had a very good life and now it's changed but still able to find contentment.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:53 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgeBrilliantly View Post

I feel fulfilled at being able to look back with satisfaction on achievements, adventures, gratifying non-routine activities, foreign travel, and a lifetime of learning which still continues.

To me personally the most meaningful, most exciting thing I ever did was learn to fly private airplanes.
That was a long time ago, and I was only at it for five or six years (long story why I stopped).

A very close second was learning to speak, read, and write both French and German at near native levels, and living and working in France and Germany as a native, not as a tourist.

Fulfillment is not only a thing of the past. It continues in the present with the opportunity to extend a helping hand to others in connection with rewarding volunteer work.

For a long time (most of my working life) I was embarrassed at not earning very much money, but I have come to realize that, beyond a certain modest amount, all the things I value as "fulfilling" did not depend on earning at the level of high achievers. There are all kinds of achievement, earnings being only one of them.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:07 PM

510 posts, read 304,241 times
Quote:
Fulfillment, happiness, contentment, whatever name it goes by is mostly a Do-it-Yourself project.

I suppose there is a bit of a Buddhist element to it. Learn to be happy from the inside and the outside things won't matter so much.

Also, the old song lyric The Best things in Life are Free would also apply.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Quote:
This question is such an open door and I am going to walk thru it.

On the secular side of things, don't regret the past, you can't change it. Learn from your past and apply it for today. Move on and if need be, forgive. Fresh starts are a gift from God (opps., well that door was opened as I said). Don't fear the future, unless that's your choice. I learned from a pastor years ago that fear is good in that 95% of what we fear never happens. The other 5% tends to not be as bad as we thought.. So fear stuff it makes it of no effect. And Firstly, live in today only, or as some say in the moment. That is all you can really control. Don't let the past or the fear of the future destroy your Today. Try to be content in what you have. Don't envy what others have.

Now as to that open door. I trust God. If I had a dollar for every mistake I made since age 20 and every baseless fear I dewelt on I'd could have retired last year. Oh wait, I am retired . Anyway, for those who say "I trust God" do it! It works and results is a fulfilling life regardless of your past. A lesson I have learned recently. Being content with what ones has and understanding what it means to live in God's will. That's where I'm at and I derive great peace from it.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-29-2017 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 06:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times
I would have no idea.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:51 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
I think contentment means being happy with who you are and what you have.

I imagine there are many who have not had a "wonderful, satisfying" life when they were younger. Many have come through difficult times. Being able to put all of that behind you, count your blessings that you are no longer there.

I used to want more, be it money, travel, people, etc. I still do not have them. But by the grace of God, I've come to realize how fortunate I am. Peace of mind. Food to eat. A few friends to see. Enough money to pay rent and buy food, etc.

The Serenity Prayer comes to mind, and my faith and belief in God.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:12 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
One of the most blessed things that happened to me was having the opportunity to work at nonprofits. Every day I came home feeling blessed,knowing I was part of the solution.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,947,008 times
be happy and help others be happy

Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 PM

88 posts, read 37,059 times
There's no such thing as a fulfilling life. Socrates and Plato already talked of this, but it's unattainable. Throughout history mankind's primary concern was digging potatoes, turnips and rice out of the ground. In the modern Western world we have supermarkets, but it's all essentially meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or