U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:28 AM

1,535 posts, read 698,075 times

Advertisements

I thought retirement would be great... and it is.

Only one problem: the day still goes by just as quickly -- how can that be?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,798,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Thanks for explaining my point better than I did. You were frugal your whole life you claim. Not everyone lives like a Buddist Monk, they make it & spend it. When you retire everybody I know made changes to balance their budgets. Let's keep it real, a fixed income doesn't offer overtime. Pretending you didn't experience a change is a bit hard to believe. Good luck...

1. I wasn't "pretending" that I didn't experience a change. In reality, I did not experience one.

2. I lived frugally, but not "like a Buddhist Monk" (notice the "h"). Why do you feel the need to engage in insulting exaggerations?

3. "Everybody you know" had a certain experience. Well, birds of a feather flock together. News flash: Not everyone's experience matches that of the people you know.

4. You seem to be using the term "fixed income" to mean a rather low income. Well, not all fixed incomes are created equal. Let's take pensions, for example. The amounts of pensions vary enormously, depending on factors like the number of years the employee worked, the employee's age at retirement, and the structure of the pension system itself (some pensions being more generous than others).

5. "Let's keep in real", you write. Well, reality does not consist of universalizing your experience. That experience being shared by others you know still does not make it universal. There is a wide world out there.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,010,957 times
You never feel like you have enough money.

I miss looking forward to the weekend.
I miss interacting with a dozen people a day.
I don't miss the commute.
I now remember how much I enjoyed Leave It To Beaver.

The key to having and accumulating decent amounts of money is never to give in to impulse buying. You can have what you want and need by avoiding impulse buying. Just adhere to this rule: I'm not going to buy this now. If I keep thinking about it, I will buy it next time.

My only fear is runaway inflation. If that happens SS and pensions are not designed to make up the difference. If inflation takes off like in the eighties, the rich will already be in gold and they won't care because salaries never keep up with prices any more.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:51 AM

30,761 posts, read 49,603,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You never feel like you have enough money.

I miss looking forward to the weekend.
I miss interacting with a dozen people a day.
I don't miss the commute.
I now remember how much I enjoyed Leave It To Beaver.
My experiences of working Monday to Friday were very limited. I did far more rotating shift-work 12 on / 12 off stuff. As a result, I do not think that I ever developed the pattern of seeking the 'weekend's.

We control how much we interact with people 'off the farm'.

There have been years where I have only left home once or twice a week. I stayed focused on spending my time at home. And there have been times where we spend way too much time doing errands or at meetings. My wife started up a new Farmer's Market this year, so that consumes some of her time. We both serve on the boards of a couple NPOs, so there are always meetings to attend. My wife just started attending County Commissioner meetings [I think she is considering running for office next year].

Quote:
... The key to having and accumulating decent amounts of money is never to give in to impulse buying. You can have what you want and need by avoiding impulse buying. Just adhere to this rule: I'm not going to buy this now. If I keep thinking about it, I will buy it next time.
Good advice. Some purchases we have held off for years.

Quote:
... My only fear is runaway inflation. If that happens SS and pensions are not designed to make up the difference. If inflation takes off like in the eighties, the rich will already be in gold and they won't care because salaries never keep up with prices any more.
I agree. My little $1,480 pension is fine for now. But when Minimum-Wage jumps to $15/hour and the COL rises to match it, we are doomed. Annual COL adjustments of 1% will never climb at the rate the COL will soon be climbing.

We have neighbors who are on SS, their tiny $850/month incomes will spell doom as the Minimum-Wage shoots upward.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,491,652 times
We retired early, ages 50 and 51 in 2003. Decided to live a series of 5 year adventures, moving every 5 years for a new one.

Had a blast traveling, seeing many parts of the world, even buying a home in Mexico and living there fulltime.

Then.....eldercare issues. My FIL at age 88 needed more attention, more care and someone to manage his care so he could stay in his own home. My husband was only retired child, so the duty fell to him, meaning to us.

Had to sell 2 homes (one in AZ, one in Mexico) and return to the US east coast. Long story short, he died after 3 years of our move back east. Recently we picked up where we left off, purchasing a new home in Mexico.

But it's a reminder to everyone....many couples who are fortunate to retire early, probably have one or more elderly parents. We are not the only ones who had their retirement interrupted by Eldercare issues.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM

8,788 posts, read 10,900,033 times
When I got close to early retirement (60), I did a lot of planning; perhaps too much, but, my rationale was that it would be extremely difficult to jump back into the workplace in one's 60's, thus, the retirement decision was pretty much final.

Financially, everything has turned-out better than planned. That's because I was overly concerned about the BIG numbers the financial planners insisted one must have ... to avoid "eating cat food and living under a bridge."

I had set-up a lifestyle living situation, but, a few years into retirement, my wife decided she wanted to live closer to the kids/grandkids. We're still in Florida, but, long-term friendships, traffic, weather, activities and general environment have changed significantly. I've grown a great deal more sedentary than I had planned, but, just don't want to fight the traffic.

We've settled into "being retired" and frankly, it's difficult to connect much with the 40-year careers spent getting here. The need to "accomplish something" and "spend one's time wisely" is still there (after ten years), but, it's not as compelling as it was early-on.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,525,876 times
Not really. Key things I was looking forward to have come about. No agendas, no stress paying the bills, no pressure to do any particular thing.
I enjoy each day for the little things. I have become a bit of a procastinator. Have not played as much golf or gone to the bike trails like I thought I would this summer, but don't miss it.
I love being up at 3am and sitting out under the stars with my dog. I don't have to get up early to be anywhere so I can do that. Last night I grocery shopped at 1am. Loved it.
I am beginning to think about doing new stuff like buying a keyboard and learning to play or taking art classes. We'll see where the wind blows. Maybe a nap? Oh sure!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:50 PM

10,508 posts, read 5,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Not really. Key things I was looking forward to have come about. No agendas, no stress paying the bills, no pressure to do any particular thing.
I enjoy each day for the little things. I have become a bit of a procastinator. Have not played as much golf or gone to the bike trails like I thought I would this summer, but don't miss it.
I love being up at 3am and sitting out under the stars with my dog. I don't have to get up early to be anywhere so I can do that. Last night I grocery shopped at 1am. Loved it.
I am beginning to think about doing new stuff like buying a keyboard and learning to play or taking art classes. We'll see where the wind blows. Maybe a nap? Oh sure!
What a cool post. Congrats on finding happiness.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,144,375 times
I did a little plotting and planning and dreaming and scheming. I did a lot of worrying and dreading and staring into the abyss.
Well, it didn't exactly work out like I wanted. Seems like some health issues are coming home to roost. Sometimes I have too much time on my hands, sometimes I'm too busy and just want to relax.
Would go to work, but, they expect a person to show up at a certain time and do what they want you to do. What a mess.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:07 PM

74 posts, read 39,927 times
Yes, it is quite a bit different. I thought I would just spend more time on hobbies and pastimes that I enjoy and maybe cultivate some new ones. Being free of work responsibilities, commuting, stress, etc. seemed like it would be a great way to live.

The reality is that my life from age 21 to the end of my working career at age 58 was dominated by work. Relationships and family came second most of the time. I worked only one type of job and now have no other marketable skills/experience.

My pastimes such as biking, golf, fishing, and boating are now too expensive and involve excessive sun exposure which I can no longer tolerate. I already traveled the world for business reasons so doing that again seems sort of pointless.

My advice would be to make sure you have some dependable relationships, frugal healthy hobbies, and a fallback job possibility or two before going into retirement. The things that will sustain you and occupy your time will just about always involve some combination of those. They will likely be different than you envisioned during your go-go working years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or