Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:23 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,546,734 times

Advertisements

Biking, golf, and fishing expensive? Get a cheap or used bike. Then pedal it. No cost. Get a cheap or used set of golf clubs and play on ''senior day'' at a par 3 or local course. We pay 20 bucks for 18 with a cart, hot dog, and drink. Fishing? Get a 20 dollar Ugly Stick package at Wal-Mart and a fishing license. From there on you might need some worms or use artificial lures. Lakes, streams, and ponds charge no admission.
Canoes and kayaks can be rented, but I always heard that a boat was a ''hole in the water that you pour money into''. Don't know.
I am heat and sun sensitive too. I go out in the early mornings and evenings to do outdoor stuff most of the time and there are sun-blocking shirts and hats to boot.
There usually is a way if you explore options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 05:42 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,359,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
My plan for retirement was pretty simple and it was to enjoy spending time with my husband but sadly he passed away 16 years ago. Had he lived today would have been our 31st anniversary. I was able to pick of the pieces of my life and move forward and have been blessed in many ways with the passage of time. But loosing my husband suddenly and at a young age I learned not to plan too far into the future and make the best of each day as it comes because tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Sorry for your loss Nightengale but again- this post is really at the core and bears repeating.
I am so stressed about how I am going to spend my time........my job has become increasingly NOT pleasant so I won't miss that, but the structure, the interactions etc does have me worrying.
At the core though is the understanding that there are lots of things that are beyond our control ------of course planning is helpful and making intelligent educated choices helps-------but then stuff happens so we just go with it.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,228,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I thought retirement would be great... and it is.

Only one problem: the day still goes by just as quickly -- how can that be?!
days, weeks, months, years go by quicker than I expected ---I feel a sense of urgency to do as much as I can - before my time ends.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,506,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Biking, golf, and fishing expensive? Get a cheap or used bike. Then pedal it. No cost. Get a cheap or used set of golf clubs and play on ''senior day'' at a par 3 or local course. We pay 20 bucks for 18 with a cart, hot dog, and drink. Fishing? Get a 20 dollar Ugly Stick package at Wal-Mart and a fishing license. From there on you might need some worms or use artificial lures. Lakes, streams, and ponds charge no admission.
Canoes and kayaks can be rented, but I always heard that a boat was a ''hole in the water that you pour money into''. Don't know.
I am heat and sun sensitive too. I go out in the early mornings and evenings to do outdoor stuff most of the time and there are sun-blocking shirts and hats to boot.
Great post and inspiring! I'm semi retired now, but I'm looking forward to full retirement next year and challenging myself to find ways to enjoy an active and adventurous lifestyle on a budget. We have never been big spenders but we have enjoyed travel and entertainment without ever having to break the bank. If you don't have any date constraints, airlines usually offer very cheap last minute fares to some interesting places, same for cruise ships, there's always senior discounts or special local trips for Broadway and off Broadway shows, in the summer fairs and festivals offer a lot for your buck. Just having a day with no plans or demands, to take a mountain hike sounds like a good day. I can't wait to be free to begin the next phase of our lives.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 AM

109 posts, read 113,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
That's great advice. I think they key is to not give up the things that you enjoy, because they actually need to expand to fill your time now that work is no longer your life focus. It is time to get creative along the lines of your suggestions instead of pulling back.

Something I just came up with is hiking on the early morning hours. It is free and there are many great places to do it. It is also a great way to experience new places when traveling.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:16 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,546,734 times
Free concerts in the park, free hiking trails, free DVD, audio books, and books at the library. My apartment complex has a beautiful pool, workout room, and dog park. Drives in the country are almost free. I really spend nothing for recreation and I have not listed all of it.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:51 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,109,879 times
In the earlier years I had many ideas about how retirement would be . However the closer it got the more I saw it would be nothing like I had assumed and started trying to make plans to save us from disaster. So now things are about how I thought they would be in the five years leading up to when husband did retire due to his health.
So now neither of us is in good health and that is the main fly in the ointment as far as retirement goes, though financially things are just scraping by.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:01 PM

25 posts, read 18,348 times
I'm sorry to hear

Old 09-05-2017, 01:05 PM

25 posts, read 18,348 times
Other than entertainment and travel, are you thinking of any volunteer work? Perhaps finding a part time job..etc?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 PM

15,979 posts, read 10,541,690 times
In some respects our plan worked better than we expected. We both retired early and found satisfying part-time jobs doing work that we wanted to do for several years while still having time to do trips or other diversions. When my wife died I had to re-work the plan but it still works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement