U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 AM

13,230 posts, read 6,335,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And she is not eating out of the dumpster.

In the picture there is a cart next to the dumpster. It seems like the store puts out the veggies that they can't sell on the cart and let people go through them.

She takes the items she finds to the food bank.

I help distribute at our monthly food bank. Sometimes the vegetables we get have to be discarded because they are moldy. Not a lot but some.
There was an article years ago, a professor from UCSD actually did dumpster diving. Money was not the problem. He just wanted to prove how much waste we have in America, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 10:19 AM

5,784 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Been there. When my late spouse became disabled, after trying in-home care for a while, I placed her into an Assisted Living facility. I paid $6500 a month out-of-pocket. She had been denied any sort of Life or LTC insurance due to her condition being considered pre-existing. Her SSDI was deposited into our joint checking account, which is what I paid the bills out of.

This happened right after the recession hit, around 2008, so I also was also providing housing for my parents and two unemployed siblings, none of whom had a place to live otherwise.

I was still working so she was covered under my health insurance policy for medical care and under Medicare Part B for prescriptions, although one had a monthly co-pay of $1000 that I had to pay out-of-pocket. I took a second part-time job delivering newspapers for some extra income.

As I burned through everything we had, all of our savings and her 401K, I had to start cutting expenses to afford the out-of-pocket expenses. I stopped paying the mortgage and car payment. I cut all of the utilities to the bare minimum, eventually cutting the cable/internet and electricity.

I had to retain an attorney to help get her qualified for Medicaid. Just as we received the approval for Medicaid, I was forced out of the house due to foreclosure, and the car was repossessed.

My parents were able to move into an apartment, so I moved in with them. With the attorney's approval, I stopped paying for the Assisted Living. It took over a year for suitable Nursing Home facility to be located in a completely different part of the state. She moved over in late 2009. I was immediately sued for the outstanding balance from the Assisted Living facility of around $150,000. In 2010, I lost my job due to a lay-off.
I'm very sorry that you've been through all this. This is what I was trying to tell people when I posted about my mom's situation. People who think there is a safety net that's going to magically pay for AL are in a fantasy world. People under 65 who aren't on disability can't get Medicare, and the requirements to receive Medicaid are onerous, and it doesn't pay for AL in a lot of places, only skilled nursing home care. And the nursing homes that take Medicaid are not the ones you would want to be in.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:27 AM

Here's a link to the following, super confusing explanation of how Medicaid handles LTC....

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...ed-living.html

Medicaid's Benefit for Assisted Living
Medicaid is funded in part by the federal government and in part by the states. The federal government (specifically, the Center for Medicaid Services) sets guidelines on how each state must spend their Medicaid dollars but the states are permitted considerable latitude within those guidelines. Therefore, the available Medicaid assistance for assisted living changes in each state.

Adding to this complexity is the fact that there are multiple types of Medicaid programs that pay for services in assisted living. Most commonly, states use their Medicaid HCBS Waivers (Home and Community Based Services). Other types of waivers employed are 1115 Waivers, 1915 Waivers or Demonstration Waivers. However, the types of waivers are simply names with which family members need not concern themselves. Finally, regular Medicaid (sometimes called State Plan Medicaid) is also used in some states for assisted living services.

From the family’s perspective, there are pros and cons to each of these Medicaid options. Waivers usually allow participants to have higher income eligibility limits than regular / State Plan Medicaid. In 2017, most waivers allow monthly income limits of $2,205 while Medicaid State Plans may limit income to $735 / month. Note these are very general numbers, they vary by state, marital status and with other factors. It is recommended families review their state specific information in the table below. Waivers are almost always enrollment capped. They have a limited number of “slots” available and waiting lists are common. Regular / State Plan Medicaid is an entitlement and therefore these programs cannot limit enrollment. Finally, Waivers almost always require the participant to have “nursing home level of care needs”. Regular Medicaid can be less restrictive with the care requirements of program participants.

Forty-three states now provide some level of financial assistance to individuals in assisted living. However, the term "assisted living" is not used consistently across these states, nor are their definitions or benefits the same. Other terms which are used include: residential care, adult foster care, personal care homes and supported living to name a few. Some states pay only for personal care services received in assisted living, others include nursing services. Coverage for medication administration, chore and homemaker services even recreational activities varies by state. No state is permitted to pay for room and board costs in assisted living, but states have other means of controlling these costs such as by capping the amounts the residences can charge, offering Medicaid eligible individuals supplemental Social Security assistance to cover assisted living room and board (from general state funds) and paying for meal preparation and serving but not actual food costs.

It is important to recognize that Medicaid may not be the best source of funding for assisted living for every family. As Medicaid payment rates for assisted living (in Medicaid language called "reimbursement rates") are not high, not every assisted living community accepts Medicaid.* Also, given the limited range of services for which Medicaid provides assistance and the enrollment caps and waiting lists for Medicaid waivers, many families might benefit by finding affordable assisted living outside of the Medicaid system.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 AM

1,289 posts, read 290,719 times
The link to the article below identifies Idaho as one of the cheapest states for assisted living. She is paying significantly more. Also, there are other options for military retirees wrt Alzheimers and aging. (link below). It's possible this story is designed to cast an optic which serves as an advertisement for socialized medicine.

8 States With The Most Affordable Assisted Living

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/v...are-136878.htm

Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 AM

The info on that first link (8 States...) is probably a little dated (maybe 2015?), but not far from accurate for Tenn. My MIL is in AL here in Tennessee, the minimum cost we found was $2900 two or three years ago, and has now gone up to $3200, because they use a 5% per year rent escalation. And those costs are on the low end of the price scale as she requires only medication management, and not bathing/toileting, or dressing assistance.

The second link's info seems a little out of whack. It mentions VA Veteran's homes, but fails to mention the lengthy waiting lists for most of these places. It also fails in the answer about veteran's surviving spouses, because it doesn't mention the VERY significant VA Aid and Attendance program for vets and surviving spouses which provides a VERY welcome monthly stipend to assist in AL costs. Without the VA A&A, MIL's AL would cost us $1000/month out of pocket to pay the difference between her monthly income from pension and SS, and the monthly cost of AL. This program is for vets with particular years in which the vet needs to have served, roughly speaking WWII, Korean conflict, or Viet Nam era are eligible, and the vet/surviving spouse must require help with the ADL's or have dementia sufficient to require someone else take over the finances.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,205,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Then use it as a "thought piece". Do you really think there isn't SOMEONE in the entire country that's not essentially in this kind of situation. Whether or not you can discount this particular case is irrelevant.
LOl thought piece. A.K.A. reason to complain over generalities.

Facts are irrelevant?

OK we'll just make some up.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 PM

15,239 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are many gaps in the story. Not saying she's not in hardship, but it didn't all jibe with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Then use it as a "thought piece". Do you really think there isn't SOMEONE in the entire country that's not essentially in this kind of situation. Whether or not you can discount this particular case is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOl thought piece. A.K.A. reason to complain over generalities.

Facts are irrelevant?

OK we'll just make some up.
Well, if you look at one case and want to argue on only its merits then how do you ever get beyond it to generalize beyond its uniqueness? I think it's far to easy to poke a hole in something just so you can say - "this never happens, and it certainly will never happen to me". I'd rather take the wider view - realizing nothing is portrayed 100% accurately - let's get beyond that and figure out how we'd react if 90% was true. Naaahhhhh...impossible...you'll be just fine so don't worry about yourself and certainly don't worry about others.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:48 PM

15,267 posts, read 4,033,310 times
Fact is, one (a family) needs a couple million to have financial security. Period.

Anything less and you end up - in some way - at the mercy of the state or others.

Roughly speaking, good AL can be 100K per year (best places require 400K just as a bond plus 80-100+ K) - and, keep in mind that some conditions require even more care. Sure, many people aren't in for a decade, but some are! Plus there are the living costs for the spouse, for potential disabled children and others in the family.

There really is not much to "think about". We need universal health care in this country. Period. Not to say everyone gets the high end...there will always be a market for "luxury goods". But if we take much of the "corporate" and "insurance" company profits and admin out of these things, we'd save 30% or more right off the bat. We'd also be able to make smarter decisions as it would all be for the "common good" as opposed to us trying to navigate the maze of predators out there.

Sad, Really. We have the best weapons. The best warships. The best spaceships. But we can't take care of our citizens.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:29 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,888,264 times
[quote=craigiri;49380748]Fact is, one (a family) needs a couple million to have financial security. Period.

Ridiculous. What percent of people in this country do you think even retire with 750K? Lets be realistic folks.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM

10,133 posts, read 12,387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are many gaps in the story. Not saying she's not in hardship, but it didn't all jibe with me.
One of the gaps is he is a veteran and as a veteran there are veteran nursing homes available to him in Idaho.

My stepfather ended up in one, he died there and it never cost a penny. Some are better than others but from what I see, my job takes me to dozens of nursing homes, most veteran homes are better than average.

This is what I will have to deal with. I can't get a good long term care insurance because of a service connected disability left over from Vietnam that I do get VA benefits at 50% disability for $919.64/month. I do not calculate any of this into my retirement planning because it dies with me but it is handy to have every month especially since it is totally tax free. A little bounce to our retirement play money but I would gladly pay it back not to have the diabetes.

I served a year spending 95% of my time in Đồng Nai and Běnh Phước/Běnh Dương provinces with the First Infantry Division and you can see they rank #1 and #2 in spraying of agent orange. I was young and couldn't figure out why everything around us was literally dead and brown. I remember hundreds of square mile of everything dead.

Agent orange is bad, high levels of dioxin and every single last person I have kept in touch with that served with me has diabetes bar non. We all have it and i do too. You also have to watch for prostate and soft tissue cancers and for this I have a full check up, which includes MRI's, every year at the VA totally free of charge. They are available and darn right I am going to use it.

About the VA I go to Lake City, Florida and they have been just super people doing a great job. Very happy with all the service and care I get there except their pharmacology is rather short. They wanted to give me Metformin but it didn't work for me so I am taking Jentadueto which is covered under Medicare Part D which is good since it costs $1,400/month.

The way I look at it is if you are in retirement and have your good health you are among the richest people on the planet.

Of course I also have Medicare so medically speaking I am very well taken care of but I work hard at it. Take oral medication and with diet and exercise my A1c hovers between 6.0 and 6.2 which is pretty good. I know if I do not take care of it now, my wife watches everything I eat like a hawk so she loves me, I will pay later so I work at it.

If the time comes I need assisted living or nursing home care the VA, that is you tax payers, will pay for it and I am wondering the lady didn't place her husband into a VA facility that would be totally free? The way I look at it is they poisoned me and they can pay for it.

Back to the agent orange. I am telling you this if you know a Vietnam veteran with diabetes they will absolutely receive benefits no questions asked other than providing proof of service in Vietnam which is easy enough to obtain since it will be listed on the DD-214. That and the veteran will be listed as having a "service connected" disability and go to the head of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement