U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 01:34 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times

Advertisements

Woman eats out of dumpster so she can afford long-term care for husband | Miami Herald

This was posted on Bernie Sanders' Facebook page, so take it with a grain salt. With that said, it is a bit misleading as well, as the woman does have surplus income she is saving up for the husband's eventual transition into more intensive treatment as the severity of his Alzheimer's increases.

Currently, the man is in an ALF, although will have to go to a nursing home as the illness progresses. Medicaid does not pay for this care, and they are way above the income threshold for Medicaid currently. Idaho did not expand Medicaid. He is already getting $1,640/month from the VA for assistance with his ALF, and $4,300/month between his pensions, disability, and SS. She sold her business at a loss to care for the husband - presumably at home at the time.

I read over the finance portion of this article a few times, and there are more gaps appearing. There is no mention of any private savings. No mention of Medicare - only Medicaid. She did have a business - sold at a loss. Provided the business was profitable, it sounds like she'd have been better off keeping it. No mention of any health insurance from either one of their employers. It appears they have other debt.

I can't help thinking that, while they are in a bind, this is a bit sensationalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 02:10 PM

13,902 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Even if I spend everything else down to zero, my Social Security check after I back out the Medicare premium & supplemental premium plus the equity in my house would keep me in an assisted living place for 10 years. I pay my mom's bills and she's in assisted living so I'm pretty up on the math.

If you're married, it's different math. You have to plan on at least one of the couple living into their 90's. You lose the "use your house to fund assisted living and a quality nursing home". If you're under age 60, I wouldn't want to bet that Medicaid will be there to provide non-frightening long term care. It's going to be a huge problem 20 years from now.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:22 PM

[mod cut]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Even if I spend everything else down to zero, my Social Security check after I back out the Medicare premium & supplemental premium plus the equity in my house would keep me in an assisted living place for 10 years. I pay my mom's bills and she's in assisted living so I'm pretty up on the math.

If you're married, it's different math. You have to plan on at least one of the couple living into their 90's. You lose the "use your house to fund assisted living and a quality nursing home". If you're under age 60, I wouldn't want to bet that Medicaid will be there to provide non-frightening long term care. It's going to be a huge problem 20 years from now.
Men will usually kick the bucket before they get to that threshold. Ultimately if the house has little value or the person lives for a very long time, the taxpayers are going to take a real bath.

Last edited by volosong; 08-31-2017 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: orphaned, reference to a deleted post

Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
I believe this article is not telling the reader everything they need to know about this woman's situation enough to discuss it properly. Without more detail, I don't think it worthwhile to discuss. For me anyway, not telling others what to do.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I believe this article is not telling the reader everything they need to know about this woman's situation enough to discuss it properly. Without more detail, I don't think it worthwhile to discuss. For me anyway, not telling others what to do.
The budget seems grossly incomplete.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM

8,395 posts, read 9,141,441 times
One of the nice things about living in a state that has higher taxes is that one can get services. For example if that lady in ID lived in CA she wouldn't need to dumpster dive for food just because her husband was in LTC. And if she had mental issues there are services for that also.

Perhaps retirees should consider factors beyond low taxes when planning for retirement.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:11 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
One of the nice things about living in a state that has higher taxes is that one can get services. For example if that lady in ID lived in CA she wouldn't need to dumpster dive for food just because her husband was in LTC. And if she had mental issues there are services for that also.

Perhaps retirees should consider factors beyond low taxes when planning for retirement.
Absolutely, positively.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:36 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,251,563 times
Been there. When my late spouse became disabled, after trying in-home care for a while, I placed her into an Assisted Living facility. I paid $6500 a month out-of-pocket. She had been denied any sort of Life or LTC insurance due to her condition being considered pre-existing. Her SSDI was deposited into our joint checking account, which is what I paid the bills out of.

This happened right after the recession hit, around 2008, so I also was also providing housing for my parents and two unemployed siblings, none of whom had a place to live otherwise.

I was still working so she was covered under my health insurance policy for medical care and under Medicare Part B for prescriptions, although one had a monthly co-pay of $1000 that I had to pay out-of-pocket. I took a second part-time job delivering newspapers for some extra income.

As I burned through everything we had, all of our savings and her 401K, I had to start cutting expenses to afford the out-of-pocket expenses. I stopped paying the mortgage and car payment. I cut all of the utilities to the bare minimum, eventually cutting the cable/internet and electricity.

I had to retain an attorney to help get her qualified for Medicaid. Just as we received the approval for Medicaid, I was forced out of the house due to foreclosure, and the car was repossessed.

My parents were able to move into an apartment, so I moved in with them. With the attorney's approval, I stopped paying for the Assisted Living. It took over a year for suitable Nursing Home facility to be located in a completely different part of the state. She moved over in late 2009. I was immediately sued for the outstanding balance from the Assisted Living facility of around $150,000. In 2010, I lost my job due to a lay-off.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Been there. When my late spouse became disabled, after trying in-home care for a while, I placed her into an Assisted Living facility. I paid $6500 a month out-of-pocket. She had been denied any sort of Life or LTC insurance due to her condition being considered pre-existing. Her SSDI was deposited into our joint checking account, which is what I paid the bills out of.

This happened right after the recession hit, around 2008, so I also was also providing housing for my parents and two unemployed siblings, none of whom had a place to live otherwise.

I was still working so she was covered under my health insurance policy for medical care and under Medicare Part B for prescriptions, although one had a monthly co-pay of $1000 that I had to pay out-of-pocket. I took a second part-time job delivering newspapers for some extra income.

As I burned through everything we had, all of our savings and her 401K, I had to start cutting expenses to afford the out-of-pocket expenses. I stopped paying the mortgage and car payment. I cut all of the utilities to the bare minimum, eventually cutting the cable/internet and electricity.

I had to retain an attorney to help get her qualified for Medicaid. Just as we received the approval for Medicaid, I was forced out of the house due to foreclosure, and the car was repossessed.

My parents were able to move into an apartment, so I moved in with them. With the attorney's approval, I stopped paying for the Assisted Living. It took over a year for suitable Nursing Home facility to be located in a completely different part of the state. She moved over in late 2009. I was immediately sued for the outstanding balance from the Assisted Living facility of around $150,000. In 2010, I lost my job due to a lay-off.
It's unbelievable events can cascade that quickly. There definitely needs to be a better advocacy system.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:21 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I was wondering what happens to food bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement