U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,413 posts, read 37,807,118 times
Reputation: 22560

Advertisements

In Georgetown, TX, there are several retirement communities including Sun City. There is also a community dog park that anyone can use. It is divided into large and small dog areas and it is pretty huge - maybe a square block? It's not in the retirement communities but a short drive from them. You might look for something like that in a community where the dog park is part of the greater community rather than just a specific subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,924 posts, read 988,935 times
Reputation: 6931
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This was brought up a few years back, but now that so many more 55+ communities have been planned and built, I was wondering whether there are any that particularly appeal to responsible dog owners. About me, I live on an acreage now with a couple of house dogs and am old enough to want to transition to a more interactive community that caters to the older set. But my dogs are fun-loving and like, above all else, to run full speed for a few minutes each day. I have tried looking online for communities with fenceable 'yards' that also have a dog park within or nearby for that daily exercise period. But it is so hard to get decent data. Recently I drove out of town to a nascent 55+ community that advertised a dog park within, but seriously, it was probably only 800 or so sq ft., just enough for two chihuahuas to have a play date.

I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out. Getting older means I can't jog with them either, and even long walks would not allow them to blow off energy by running free, and for me to delight in seeing their exuberance. So do any of you citydata folk live in an active senior community where you still have dogs and can allow them a chance to be happy like this? I would be particularly interested in those areas with milder weather (not too hot for too long).


"I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out"



How old are your dogs? I think you should stay where you are if possible, unless you are prepared to have a small fenced yard, have them always on a leash outside the yard, and use public or on site dog parks. This might work for you.

My dogs are like yours. They stay on my unfenced acreage and come when called. I bought this place because we were not safe in town even with my dogs on a leash because more and more people have dogs now days that they cannot control. I felt like I was trapped in my house. The neighborhood changed dramatically in the 8 years I was there.

I know your situation in a planned community would be different, but it would still need to be rigidly controlled to accommodate everyone in peace.

Its a dilemma for sure. I just saw the lights on and people outside at a house behind me that has been empty since before I moved here, I left the dogs at home and walked through the woods and hollered "Do you all have a dog?" because I was afraid they might have a big dog who would attack mine.

Scared them to death. I need to get a flashlight

Last edited by newcomputer; 08-30-2017 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: added "unfenced"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Chiswick, London, UK
3 posts, read 4,607 times
Reputation: 15
Baby Boomers who own pets develop a special bond. Studies have shown that retirees who have pets in their life have a more active and healthier lifestyle as well as a more positive social environment. With so many benefits, itís easy to see why Boomers donít want to part ways with their beloved pet when itís time to move into an active adult community. One of the first questions many retirees ask before making their move is if the active adult community is pet-friendly. More builders have taken note of the increase in active adult pet owners. There are 55+ communities across the country that welcome pet lovers and offer amenities like parks and open spaces that cater to their furry friend. While many age-restricted communities have different rules when it comes to pets, Boomers are sure to find the ideal 55-plus community that caters to pet lovers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 06:22 AM
 
1,322 posts, read 646,553 times
Reputation: 4234
In this day and age, dogs are the new people. They have clothes,strollers,parks . That's ok with me. Dogs give us so much in return. I cringe when I think how these wonderful animals were treated when I was a kid....most tied up to a dog house in all kind of weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,699 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Reputation: 29399
I would love some information as well. We are specifically looking to move to NC or maybe SC and we have Great Danes. Although I love Danes with every fiber of my being, we will probably have to downsize dog wise as my wife finds the dog hair obnoxious and we are very petite and they are hard to control. We have even had to pay higher home insurance rates because they are on the list of "aggressive dog breeds." Anyone who has known a Dane is aware that they are the most low key, gentle dogs around. Anyway, I'm looking into adopting a greyhound but even they are a bit large for the over 55 community. It's upsetting how many pet restrictions there are. If we are paying a mortgage, why can't we have the dog we like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,943 posts, read 5,300,762 times
Reputation: 17897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I would love some information as well. We are specifically looking to move to NC or maybe SC and we have Great Danes. Although I love Danes with every fiber of my being, we will probably have to downsize dog wise as my wife finds the dog hair obnoxious and we are very petite and they are hard to control. We have even had to pay higher home insurance rates because they are on the list of "aggressive dog breeds." Anyone who has known a Dane is aware that they are the most low key, gentle dogs around. Anyway, I'm looking into adopting a greyhound but even they are a bit large for the over 55 community. It's upsetting how many pet restrictions there are. If we are paying a mortgage, why can't we have the dog we like?
Your last line shows why you should never live in a 55+ community. What in the hell does paying a mortgage have to do with anything, as if there are that many with a mortgage in a 55+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Southport, NC
3,802 posts, read 9,729,481 times
Reputation: 4322
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This was brought up a few years back, but now that so many more 55+ communities have been planned and built, I was wondering whether there are any that particularly appeal to responsible dog owners. About me, I live on an acreage now with a couple of house dogs and am old enough to want to transition to a more interactive community that caters to the older set. But my dogs are fun-loving and like, above all else, to run full speed for a few minutes each day. I have tried looking online for communities with fenceable 'yards' that also have a dog park within or nearby for that daily exercise period. But it is so hard to get decent data. Recently I drove out of town to a nascent 55+ community that advertised a dog park within, but seriously, it was probably only 800 or so sq ft., just enough for two chihuahuas to have a play date.

I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out. Getting older means I can't jog with them either, and even long walks would not allow them to blow off energy by running free, and for me to delight in seeing their exuberance. So do any of you citydata folk live in an active senior community where you still have dogs and can allow them a chance to be happy like this? I would be particularly interested in those areas with milder weather (not too hot for too long).
I see you are in NC. I currently live in Carolina Arbors (a Del Webb community) in the Raleigh Durham area. Our community is VERY pet friendly, sidewalks on both sides of all streets, tons of walking trails as well as 2 dog parks (1 for small dogs, 1 for larger dogs). Was this the over 55 community you visited? I'll admit they are not very large but definitely over 800 sf.


Dogs do need to be leashed except when in the dog parks. We have "doggy waste" stations throughout the community with bags and a place for disposal of the bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,699 posts, read 8,483,912 times
Reputation: 29399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I see you are in NC. I currently live in Carolina Arbors (a Del Webb community) in the Raleigh Durham area. Our community is VERY pet friendly, sidewalks on both sides of all streets, tons of walking trails as well as 2 dog parks (1 for small dogs, 1 for larger dogs). Was this the over 55 community you visited? I'll admit they are not very large but definitely over 800 sf.

Dogs do need to be leashed except when in the dog parks. We have "doggy waste" stations throughout the community with bags and a place for disposal of the bags.
That is awesome! I'll tell my wife about it. I greatly prefer NC over SC, and considering the fact that she dissed my vote for NM in favor of the East Coast, I think I should have the final say (we'll see how that goes). But she likes NC as well, her mom lives in Charleston, SC, and her brother lives in Charlotte, which is a big reason we're heading to the Easter time zone. Pet friendly is actually our most important factor after location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,124 posts, read 9,079,067 times
Reputation: 11545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That is awesome! I'll tell my wife about it. I greatly prefer NC over SC, and considering the fact that she dissed my vote for NM in favor of the East Coast, I think I should have the final say (we'll see how that goes). But she likes NC as well, her mom lives in Charleston, SC, and her brother lives in Charlotte, which is a big reason we're heading to the Easter time zone. Pet friendly is actually our most important factor after location.


Really? They don't live forever you know. And what about Medical, for you. Activities for you? What about taxes, insurance (like flood insurance), terrain, cost of living, accessibility to transportation like airports, churches, etc etc. So many other issues to research besides dog friendliness, I think. Dog parks are everywhere these days. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Idaho
4,625 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Reputation: 9050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Really? They don't live forever you know. And what about Medical, for you. Activities for you? What about taxes, insurance (like flood insurance), terrain, cost of living, accessibility to transportation like airports, churches, etc etc. So many other issues to research besides dog friendliness, I think. Dog parks are everywhere these days. JMHO
Even though I am not a dog parent right now, I totally understand how much a part of a family a dog is. When Pepe died, it took three years before I felt I was ready to be a dog parent again. The only reason I don't have one now is that I'm newly retired and want to see just how much traveling I'll be doing before committing to the responsibility of being a parent again.

The availability of a dog park is just one more parameter to consider when deciding on a retirement location. And a major one for those who are pet owners. They really are a 'member of the family'. A dog parent can no more give up their fur baby than we could our own sons or daughters if we were to move to a 55+ community that disallows residents of a younger age.
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top