U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,986,401 times

Advertisements

This was brought up a few years back, but now that so many more 55+ communities have been planned and built, I was wondering whether there are any that particularly appeal to responsible dog owners. About me, I live on an acreage now with a couple of house dogs and am old enough to want to transition to a more interactive community that caters to the older set. But my dogs are fun-loving and like, above all else, to run full speed for a few minutes each day. I have tried looking online for communities with fenceable 'yards' that also have a dog park within or nearby for that daily exercise period. But it is so hard to get decent data. Recently I drove out of town to a nascent 55+ community that advertised a dog park within, but seriously, it was probably only 800 or so sq ft., just enough for two chihuahuas to have a play date.

I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out. Getting older means I can't jog with them either, and even long walks would not allow them to blow off energy by running free, and for me to delight in seeing their exuberance. So do any of you citydata folk live in an active senior community where you still have dogs and can allow them a chance to be happy like this? I would be particularly interested in those areas with milder weather (not too hot for too long).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,704,692 times
I think you have to add some more info.
If you want to stay close to where you are tell us the town and state. If you want to move what part of the country.

Over 55 - apartment building, mobile home park, condo's rowe homes, single family?

My guess is most single family over 55 will allow a dog. I would think all require a leash when out for a walk. What size of a dog park do you need?

Might look for place close to public parks but letting the dog off the leash to just run will probably be a problem.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM

4,628 posts, read 4,470,900 times
A lot of owners in the 55+ community in which I live have dogs. There are two, that I know of, 'dog parks' within the complex. The dog parks are the size of all of the other properties, somewhere around 5,000 square feet each.

There are rules in place for dog owners. They must be leashed when out and are not allowed to create a disturbance with their barking. In reality, at least on my street, when dog owners are outside, their dog(s) are frequently with them, off leash. However, they are 'well behaved' and obedient to their owners. The ones I've met are just so sweat and crave the attention I offer in the form of ear rubs.

Just this month, the monthly newsletter contained a front page warning about the dog rules. Seems a resident was bit and the graphic photograph was part of the article. Owners are aware of the rules and do their best to abide by them. To my knowledge, non-dog owners are fine with the current system. I know I would love to have another dog, but want to wait to see how much traveling I'll be doing in retirement before committing to the responsibility of being a dog parent.

p.s. My 55+ development is in North Idaho, single-family homes. The three-season climate is pretty mild, but there is snow/ice in the winter months.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,837,275 times
I see you are in NC. Have you checked out the Sun City neighborhoods? We used to live in Sun City Carolina Lakes just south of Charlotte (5 mi. into SC). They have a dog park where the dogs can run around. They do have it divided into an area for small dogs and an area for large dogs. You can also fence in your yard as well, but the yards are small and you have to make sure that the dogs are not constantly barking. Anytime dogs are out of the house, fenced yard or dog park they do have to be on a leash. There is an area where there is a softball field and other fields around a large pond and I know people have let their dogs run there (but you didn't hear it from me!). But you will be cited if they run free in the house community or if anyone gets annoyed and reports you.

During both of our times purchasing houses in 55+ (this is our second) we checked out many different 55+ and every one of them required dogs to be on a leash when they are out. There is also a limit as to how many pets you can have. SCCL it was 3 total. Where we are now the limit is 2. I also know there is a very large Sun City in Hilton Head but not sure about a dog park, but since it is a Sun City I would suspect there is one but you can check it out.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:07 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times
I live in the Market Common area of Myrtle Beach. There is a 55+ community here, but there are also communities like mine that are about 60% retirees, 10% second homes and the rest a wide variety. We have a small dog park in our development, but there are also two city dog parks. One is about 3 acres, the other is 14 acres. There are about 10 different developments in the immediate area with a wide range of homes, condos and apartments. The larger dog park is within the Market Common area.
City of Myrtle Beach Off-Leash Dog Parks

Old 08-30-2017, 07:15 PM

3,752 posts, read 9,608,178 times
Indianapolis as a city has several really large dog parks. One has a pond for the water loving dogs and some agility equipment, benches for the owners and fully fenced for large and small dogs. Our Humane Society has a big wooded dog park at their facility and there are several others around town. None of these are part of a specific housing development but are for a variety of populations of people who live all around them.

Maybe you are too limiting. Senior developments would more likely tend to have smaller dogs. Not all but most around here are that way. Look at the dog parks for the whole community you are looking at and whether they are open to new dog owners.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,456,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I could never move somewhere where I would need to leash my dogs every minute that they are out. Getting older means I can't jog with them either, and even long walks would not allow them to blow off energy by running free, and for me to delight in seeing their exuberance. So do any of you citydata folk live in an active senior community where you still have dogs and can allow them a chance to be happy like this? I would be particularly interested in those areas with milder weather (not too hot for too long).
I don't but my mother in law lives in a retirement community in the San Diego area that allows dogs and has a dog park where they are allowed to run free. It's something of the social hub of the community. They have chairs and picnic tables for people to sit at while their dogs run free. My mother in law doesn't even have a dog, and she sometimes goes over there just to hang out and talk to people (and pet the dogs).

So, yes, these places do exist.

But, what you need to do is figure out what your budget is, a list of places you'd consider living, and then do your research on different communities in those places. Obviously, what's the right place for or someone else might not be for you.

As volosong hints at, you'll probably find that your dog has to be fairly well trained and well behaved. There was quite a hub-bub in my mother in law's community when someone started letting their dog go to the bathroom in the elevator of one building. It is going to sound like I'm making this up, but at one point, there was some talk about requiring DNA testing of all of the dogs in the complex to discover the poop-in-the-elevator culprit. We had a good laugh over that one.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,456,293 times
I also notice that you said you have dogs, not a single dog. Having multiple dogs may reduce your options.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:56 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
I have rural property in an area with an older population. Everyone has one or more dogs and it causes no problems. I suspect that there are areas similar to mine almost everyplace. I have the equivalent of a 55+ community without the problems of a subdivision and HOA.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,773 times
luv4horses, we are in the same boat as you. Our dogs also need some time to run in the yard.

I called the POA at Tellico Village, TN and asked about putting up a fence at a home if we bought one. The woman I spoke with was very nice and she said putting up a fence would be allowed as long as the fence was no higher than 4 ft tall. It can not be in a utility easement, it can not extend past the front plane of the home. The permit fee is based on the estimated cost of the project. The fence can be made of wood, aluminum, vinyl, wrought iron.

She said that when we find a home that we want to purchase she will look at the plat map and let me know if a fence could be put on that property and where it could be put. I suppose we would make it a contingency in the contract to purchase or ask her ahead of making an offer.

Meanwhile, strictly speaking, Tellico Village is not age restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or