U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:11 AM

659 posts, read 326,052 times

Advertisements

I'd like to hear about senior experiences about returning to school. Do you live near a Community College that provides interesting courses, through a "Life Long Learning Institute" or "Workforce Development and Continuing Education". Do you get reduced tuition? Are you taking courses for fun? Are you going back to train for a new career because you could not find a job; especially for those who were let go earlier than you anticipated?

I stopped working at 58, and did not try to look for another job in my field. I was fed up and traveled for a while. Now at 59 I have enrolled in a year long course that will train me for a new career. I hope to be a "Teacher of English for Speakers of Other Languages" next year. I want to do both volunteer and paid work teaching English, for there are a lot of immigrants and refugees in need of help in my area. It took a while to come to a decision about what I wanted to do with my time. I just know I need to keep busy; a quiet retirement with no obligations is not for me. I am resisting the urge to think that I am too old to reinvent myself. So far, I love my class that I am taking and I am not the oldest one there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:58 AM

825 posts, read 566,668 times
I returned to school at 50 for a degree. Recently I learned that my alma mater, the University of Washington, allows Washington state residents aged 60 and older to audit one or two UW undergraduate courses per quarter for a $5 fee.

This opportunity is basically my dream come true. I love going to school and learning new things. I'm not old enough yet, but when I'm 60 I plan to study all kinds of subjects I'm interested in, starting with classes in the Literature department and then adding in classes in History, Political Science, Art, Architecture, and various languages. I cannot wait.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:14 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,484,350 times
Recently retired and am still in the process of moving, so I missed the start of the current semester. College/University classes are a real part of my retirement plan. I'm done collecting degrees and now want to take classes in subject of interest to me.

Among them is physics because that explains how the world and 'stuff' works. Latin, the basis of so many Western societies. French because doesn't every educated person speak French? Then follow that up with some electrical engineering courses. There are some things that I want to build, but need the theory/knowledge first.

My local community college has reduced senior tuition. Not sure about the university.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-01-2017, 09:27 AM

6,337 posts, read 5,079,035 times
I went back after I retired and took advantage of the new GI Bill. They pay your school plus provide a monthly stipend equal to an E-5 housing allowance. I always wanted to be a professional student and this was the perfect opportunity.

I love school but hated that I still had to take exams! What the heck.

I think about going back now that school has started again.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,665 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Went back for a Grad Degree at age 50, (2 yrs Free schooling part of Golden Parachute)

I love learning, it was great (except profs, content, and students were not of the caliber I expected).

the Degree enables me to teach when I have the time for that, + it added breath to my skillset (practical), Plus I met a lot of new friends and contacts, stayed engaged in technology and industry.

I plan to go back more often as I age. (learning new things / science + finance).

My older sis just wrote that she is back in school for fun / staying current (She did a MD program in her late 50's and 60's) THAT was too much, but out of 47 who started.. 5 finished, and she took top score. (reluctantly recognized by the Army... she was civilian)

Old 09-01-2017, 09:59 AM

5,399 posts, read 6,548,967 times
I went back to school at local college. One thing I noticed is the tests under one teacher were sneaky tests not material or knowledge. Other teachers were fine

So I need to study up on test taking if I were to take grades seriously.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,648,712 times
Florida residents over age 60 can take tuition-free classes at Florida's state universities, audit only (i.e., no credits) and on a space-available basis. Note that it's only the tuition that's free. You still have to pay some minor fees and you also have to pay to park on campus (and that's often not a minor fee).

In my area, Rollins College offers a number of short-term courses for seniors that meet once a week for a month, on a variety of topics. These are not tuition-free: I paid $70 to register for a history course that will meet every Wednesday in October.

In addition, I signed up for an online non-credit course in nonfiction writing that is offered by the University of Central Florida. That course begins in October and will run for, I think, 6 weeks. It cost me about $100 to register for that one.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:24 PM

2,558 posts, read 813,675 times
I have also been investigating this but I want to complete my degree and I am amazed that almost no one offers reduced rates to seniors for credit classes or if they do (which is rare), you have to wait until everyone else has signed up and then hope there's a spot left for you. I love going to school and can't wait to go back, so I will keep researching, but so far I have been pretty disappointed.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,907,788 times
Best reason to join a class is the hope of educating a generation who otherwise would never hear your wisdom. Somebody needs to help enlighten these robots.

I prefer to self educate through travel and hands on experiences.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 PM

12,260 posts, read 6,972,991 times
My mom went back to school at 50 years old and got a master's degree in social work after working in accounting for 30 years. She worked 22 years in her second profession, loved it, and retired at 74 years old. She always said she wished she had changed careers sooner and it was never too late to pursue a passion.

Mom also said she kept her mouth shut most of the time in class discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement