U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,541,985 times

Advertisements

Never thought single payer health insurance had a LTC component. I suppose you could design coverage any way you want, but note that the current discussion on this side of the atlantic is solely about health care.

I see no political appetite for helping seniors with LTC care. In fact, with the ruling party's desire to cut medicaid funds, the trend seems to be in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 03:44 PM

13,228 posts, read 6,331,374 times
One poster always drag political comments into retirement section. Made me wondering what's wrong with these people.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The cost for care in MA is significantly higher than Maryland, Conn, NJ, and HA. All of the latter states have a higher household income than MA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income

MD and MA have similar education rankings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment

Perhaps MA, thankfully, pays higher wages than MD, Conn, NJ and HA.
The Massachusetts minimum wage is $11.00/hour. In metro Boston, it's tough to find anyone who will work for less than $15.00.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I see no political appetite for helping seniors with LTC care. In fact, with the ruling party's desire to cut medicaid funds, the trend seems to be in the other direction.
Hard to say. Poor people don't vote but seniors do. Just like Social Security and Medicare are the political third rail, there's an awful lot of support among older voters for Medicaid-funded long term care. The problem is that it isn't as well understood as Social Security and Medicare. Most elderly who need a nursing home are using the Medicare 3 month benefit. Spastically, most die within 6 months of entering a long term care facility.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
I think we've had enough threads on this over the past few weeks to get the technical gist of it all.

I'll read the article tomorrow at work and offer additional commentary then - if worthwhile, but most of us understand ALF/SNF care for the less than very affluent is likely to be a strain. That's common knowledge, and repeat articles only offer confirmation and additional color to the well-known conclusion.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:02 AM

25,027 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think we've had enough threads on this over the past few weeks to get the technical gist of it all.

I'll read the article tomorrow at work and offer additional commentary then - if worthwhile, but most of us understand ALF/SNF care for the less than very affluent is likely to be a strain. That's common knowledge, and repeat articles only offer confirmation and additional color to the well-known conclusion.
Or a few years or decades. My mother asked me to kill her rather than put her in a nursing home. She was a nurse. She worked for an old fashioned small family practice. My sister became an LPN and worked in nursing homes for a few years. My brother worked as an orderly while in college. They both visited patients after hours, bought them small things that they needed. My brother smuggled a beer to a s 2x war vet. He didn't finish it, just wanted to taste it. They were both happy.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 AM

13,228 posts, read 6,331,374 times
My dad loved beer and coffee and our version of junk food. We took him out when we visit him and he was always happy with his day out. Plus we went to the beach and he got to see lots of nice young good looking people. That was a treat for him.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:06 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,892,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I too think that CR could have titled it better, as it is misleading.

I do like seeing the heat map of the average costs in 2016 for an assisted living apartment in all states. Not useful, really, but a curiosity for me. I pulled out the 3 cheapest as (I'm rounding) Missouri ($30k), Oklahoma (33k), Georgia ($34k). The top 3 most expensive were Massachusetts ($65k), Alaska ($69k), and DC ($80k).

No surprises in where they fall I guess, but man, those politicians pay a lot in their dotage. I wonder if the care is actually better than in Missouri.
Probably has more to do with the local cost-of-living and real estate, than quality of the care.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:10 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,892,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
What Medicare pays to hospitals versus what Medicaid pays to nursing homes (for the destitute) is vastly different. That's why there are many nursing homes that do not even accept Medicaid.
Those homes must be in affluent areas. The other side of the coin, is that many would be out of business, if not for Medicaid.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:07 PM

25,027 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My dad loved beer and coffee and our version of junk food. We took him out when we visit him and he was always happy with his day out. Plus we went to the beach and he got to see lots of nice young good looking people. That was a treat for him.
The family went to the beach once a year on vacation. It never occurred to me that dad might be looking at girls in bikinis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or