U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times

Advertisements

OMG! I laughed my butt off at the title of this post. When I was a cop, many yrs ago, we suddenly got this psycho police chief that did who knows what with the dept budget. But I got stuck working patrol on graveyard, driving a WW2 jeep, with no doors and no heater, in the middle of winter. Sure, it is NM, but seriously, it still gets down to near zero degrees ! It was pure torture and no one took me seriously when I tried to do traffic stops. I hated that chief!

And as a cop - directing traffic, with the NM winds blowing at a zillion miles per hour: trees down, traffic lights not working - standing in the intersection eating sand for hours! And..... directing traffic at a wreck, in 110 degrees, and even in heavy duty police boots, my feet BURNING from standing on the pavement. And don't even get me started on how hot, wearing a bullet proof vest is. (it's like being in a cast!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 PM

25,029 posts, read 23,924,861 times
Everything. Intense cold, snow--half of the town was closed, torrential rain, fever, gut pains that sent me to the ER midmorning. Hey, I showed up.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,403,211 times
Not me, but a family member (forced to join the military after graduating college with honors and a high-tech degree, but during the 1983 Recession when every company in America was laying off).

The job? On a nuclear submarine, underwater 8 months out of the year (working 18-20 hours a day with no days off) and 50 hours a week the rest of the time), unable to communicate with anyone (like family members) outside the submarine for the entire 4-month patrol (twice a year), breathing recirculated air filled with toxic chemicals, and exposed to radiation from the nuclear reactor (military reactors don't have any safety rules).

And naturally, commanded by a certifiably-insane sadist Captain who was eventually relieved of duty (unheard of, until this year when Navy ships starting running into tankers), but too late to save anyone since the boat was so old it was being decommissioned just after the commitment was up.

Since you can't quit the military, it lasted 5 years and the pay was so low that all but a handful on the submarine qualified for food stamps and other welfare.

And now, 25 years later, here's the blood cancer that is so directly linked to the radiation the submariners were exposed to, that there is a legal presumption that's how you got it.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:18 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Ice storm coupled with 8 days without electrical power and a boss who - over the phone from his house - made fun of me for showing up.

No regrets, good times!

Old 09-02-2017, 03:16 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,523,112 times
I had what I later learned to be Walking Pneumonia for apprx 3 weeks when I was in my early 20's. I lost a ton of weight, coughed up mucous endlessly and was miserable, but I didn't miss any work. I was working construction outside around Thanksgiving/Christmas in temperature range of 30-45.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 2,614,235 times
How about when I went to work with walking pneumonia....and actually died WHILE at work.

Talk about a dedicated worker.in fact had I NOT been at work, I would have been home either alone or in my bedroom and my roommate would have found my body.

I had an anaphylactic shock allergic reaction to the antibiotics the doctor gave me that morning, resulting in full cardiac arrest.

The manager knew I'd been sick and asked what my doctor said, I told him the diagnosis and the antibiotics treatment. He asked how I was feeling. I said" not good at all, my skin is absolutely crawling, I feel lumpy and don't know how to explain it". He asked if I was going to finish my shift. I said yes, but may need an extra break or two. He said to not abuse the privilege.

I was just outside the office when I dropped, no warning to me. The assistant manager called 911, and the EMTs were 6 minutes away. They arrived at 6 minutes, verified no respiration and no heartbeat, gave me four shocks, and were going to give up if the fourth hadn't restarted my heart.
I was officially clinically dead for 7 mins 40 seconds.

What pissed me off is they let me work the next two nights then the third night the assistant manager called me in and said " I have the dubious task of......". I said "what....of firing me"? He said yes, unless I could give them a doctor's note saying I would not die on them again!!!
I said " you know that's not possible, we're all going to die"... He said " I know and I don't think what they are doing to you is fair".

Oh well I didn't really want to work there, it wasn't in the position I applied for, and they closed a year later.

I was young and didn't know I could have gone to the labor board.
;-)

Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,081,338 times
This was in the late Sixties or very early Seventies. I lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, but worked in a suburb; so I had to run to the subway and get downtown to take the crosstown subway and run into Grand Central to catch the train out of the city. It was never leisurely.

One day I was behind schedule, really hustling up the street, probably buttoning my shirt and tying my tie. Cross the avenue and was vaguely aware that there were more people in front of the second-rate hotel with a dubious nightclub on the top, than usual...like move, move, move. And then everything happened at once...I was looking down at blotches on the sidewalk and that grade B movie chalk drawing, people are yelling like hell, a couple of guys grab me - cops, lots of curses.

A guy had just been shot and they were putting barricades up on the other side of the scene, but had not gotten them up
on my side. But they were dragging them out right in front of me, there were cops all over...and I just roared into the middle of it.

So, okay, guys...and I am shoved away, and now I am really hotfooting it. Then splat right in front of my shirt laundry the sidewalk is packed with guys in blue. Like sheesh! Whaddya, own the place! But (it turns out) a woman who had been with the chalk drawing model had not been killed and had run up the street, and ran into my laundry guy's place just as he was opening, to hide.

My only thought at that point, crap they made me miss the train!!! Who will believe this?

And then the realization: if I had been on schedule I might have made it to the front of the hotel just as the shoot-out happened and been another chalk drawing.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:29 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
I had the elective kind of eye laser surgery that takes a while to heal, PRK, & the first few days my vision looked as if I was in cloudy water. I didn't want to take more vacation days off after a while & returned to work, unfortunately I worked as a photographer back then.... not my best work that week!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:44 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times
I once worked for a place that didn't exist. I was hired to be an outpatient counselor at a hospital-based geriatric care clinic.
After a week long hospital orientation, I reported the following Monday to the wing where the clinic theoretically existed. There was no clinic and no one there. Literally.
The area was under construction with no dry wall in place, no furniture, no staff, nothing. I contacted the contracting company that hired me and they told me that they were ''working on getting the program up and running''.
Three days I sat there and wandered up and down the hospital corridors, I guess awaiting a revelation or something, but I needed the money, so hey. That afternoon a man and two women arrived and walked through the construction zone in corporate garb. He said they were there to ''celebrate the grand opening'' of the unit. Huh?
I knew I had landed in the Twilight Zone by then. That Friday afternoon I went to the hospital HR lady and turned in my badge. She told me she didn't blame me for quitting one bit and that I had lasted a week longer than the previous two counselors! What the...!?

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM

2,053 posts, read 865,818 times
Had a benign tumor surgically removed from the base of my skull. Went to work the next day with the whole head wrapped in gauze bandage like a mummy. People kept asking me why I was at work. I kept saying because I feel OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or