U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:59 PM

5,769 posts, read 4,830,089 times

Advertisements

In Oklahoma during the late springtime, clearing the flight line during a tornado warning, in the darkness, with 60 mile per hour winds, lightning all around us, and driving rain. All the smaller equipment (smaller than an airplane) had to be removed from the flight line or chained to the fences, and then the planes had to be staggered to avoid them blowing into one another. It takes about 2 hours, by which time the danger is over, and then you have to put it all back, until tomorrow night when you'll probably have to do it all over again. At one point the wind was so strong I was hanging onto something in the open lower hatch of the plane and both legs were blowing horizontally in the wind. I was literally hanging by my arms to keep from blowing across the flight line like a 110 lb tumbleweed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 PM

3,881 posts, read 1,649,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That would be the morning after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake when I worked in Oakland, just a couple of blocks from where the Cypress freeway fell. Besides the smell of destruction and death in the air, we had no power, and the offices were a big mess, with computers, monitors, plants and files all over the floor. We had to try and clean up as best we could by flashlight and be easy for the onslaught of quake related work when IT got the generators started and hard drives on the mainframe up.
Guess I was lucky our offices (also Oakland) were closed for a few days after the quake.

My worst day involved a hangover, the day after the office holiday party. yikes.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:34 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,239,300 times
The morning after a big group of co-workers went out for party, drank too much, came in very late to work, got a standing ovation from the rest of the department.

Back when work was fun.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:51 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,324,594 times
Driving in the aftermath of an ice storm in the winter of 1994. I worked at a university 85 miles from my home. The roads were covered in thick, bumpy ice. Talk about clutching the steering wheel. Those of you from the Northeast or NJ in particular may remember all the ice storms we had that winter. I hope to never see that many again.

Also, working as a nurse on Christmas Day, 2010. We got socked-in with a blizzard. Something like 26 inches of snow. The hospital put us up in a hotel after our shift ended, but we had to walk to it, in howling wind and snow. And the next day, we had to walk to the hospital, on unshoveled sidewalks and giant mounds of wind-whipped snow. And you could probably guess this -- all the managers called out that morning. Gee, thanks.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:06 PM

18,387 posts, read 20,122,996 times
Myself physically? With two bulged disks in my lower back. It felt like someone was holding a blowtorch there. And I couldn't move. I was out for a week.

Weather? Replacing transformers or outside underground work in rain, snow, heat.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:22 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,114,732 times
While getting ready for work I was coming down the stairs in my socks when I slipped, tried to catch myself on the rail and bent my fingers back, breaking my metacarpal bone. I still went to work, but my boss sent me to the doctor.

Another time I hurt my lower right back muscle so bad I was in bed all weekend and couldn't put any pressure on my right leg because it would send me down. I threw on a back brace and went to work after the weekend. It had gotten some better after being in bed 2 days. I still have trouble with that muscle sometimes.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 PM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
Post hurricane Charlie. Physically fit and no attachment to grounds or maintenance, was asked to clean my perimeter building and parking lot area of debris. Chain saw effort was necessary. College campus closed for five or six class days
muscles were discovered which never had that much friction. Gained a short time nickname, Mr. Sore.
No A/C for the first four days, it was best to remain in place (easier to get a flat tire than not).
Never thought I'd spend the night at work. Food and drink were available as our location became the county distribution point for these precious necessities (double pay or comp time were rewards).

Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,603,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Not me, but a family member (forced to join the military after graduating college with honors and a high-tech degree, but during the 1983 Recession when every company in America was laying off).

The job? On a nuclear submarine, underwater 8 months out of the year (working 18-20 hours a day with no days off) and 50 hours a week the rest of the time), unable to communicate with anyone (like family members) outside the submarine for the entire 4-month patrol (twice a year), breathing recirculated air filled with toxic chemicals, and exposed to radiation from the nuclear reactor (military reactors don't have any safety rules).

And naturally, commanded by a certifiably-insane sadist Captain who was eventually relieved of duty (unheard of, until this year when Navy ships starting running into tankers), but too late to save anyone since the boat was so old it was being decommissioned just after the commitment was up.

Since you can't quit the military, it lasted 5 years and the pay was so low that all but a handful on the submarine qualified for food stamps and other welfare.

And now, 25 years later, here's the blood cancer that is so directly linked to the radiation the submariners were exposed to, that there is a legal presumption that's how you got it.
Holy CRAP!!!! How horrific for this poor person!!! Does he have his own family at this point (wife and kids) who are able to be with him now? Was he ever able to use his degree, at least? (Lord, I'm crying over here!!) Please tell me he has SOME type of support system at this sad point in his life. I can't even imagine that kind of HELL!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:54 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times
During our annual ice (not snow) storm in the Atlanta area I walked out to the mailbox to get the morning newspaper and slipped and fell, broke two ribs, didn't know it at the time. I actually put my chains on the truck and went to work. Made it thru the day and drove from work to the emergency room. Sure enough, two broke ribs.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,319,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
How about when I went to work with walking pneumonia....and actually died WHILE at work.

Talk about a dedicated worker.in fact had I NOT been at work, I would have been home either alone or in my bedroom and my roommate would have found my body.

I had an anaphylactic shock allergic reaction to the antibiotics the doctor gave me that morning, resulting in full cardiac arrest.

The manager knew I'd been sick and asked what my doctor said, I told him the diagnosis and the antibiotics treatment. He asked how I was feeling. I said" not good at all, my skin is absolutely crawling, I feel lumpy and don't know how to explain it". He asked if I was going to finish my shift. I said yes, but may need an extra break or two. He said to not abuse the privilege.

I was just outside the office when I dropped, no warning to me. The assistant manager called 911, and the EMTs were 6 minutes away. They arrived at 6 minutes, verified no respiration and no heartbeat, gave me four shocks, and were going to give up if the fourth hadn't restarted my heart.
I was officially clinically dead for 7 mins 40 seconds.

What pissed me off is they let me work the next two nights then the third night the assistant manager called me in and said " I have the dubious task of......". I said "what....of firing me"? He said yes, unless I could give them a doctor's note saying I would not die on them again!!!
I said " you know that's not possible, we're all going to die"... He said " I know and I don't think what they are doing to you is fair".

Oh well I didn't really want to work there, it wasn't in the position I applied for, and they closed a year later.

I was young and didn't know I could have gone to the labor board.
;-)
Good Lord! I don't feel so sorry for myself and the bad luck I've been having lately after reading this! I feel horrible for what you went thru and at the same time, I cannot stop laughing at the part where you asked if they were going to fire you if you couldn't gt you wouldn't die on them, LOL!!!

So, what is your memory of those 7 minutes you were off the clock ?

Last edited by RaleighLass; 09-03-2017 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or