U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 AM

9,760 posts, read 7,041,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryChristan View Post
Whether that be mental or physical condition

I would say I have been quite lucky during my lifetime with health , the only time it has forced me to go home is I had a migraine which was bad as soon as I woke up that morning and I couldn't cope so asked to leave at lunchtime , the manager accepted.
I had a torn meniscus in one knee that was pretty painful for quite a while. My job required quite a bit of driving and walking,
and I would try and time taking 800 mg Motrin ( and eating, you don't take that on an empty stomach) so as to have the minimum amount of pain as I was driving (it was my right knee), and when I was working with the providers. I always used steps instead of elevators to save time, if the climb was less than 5 stories, but it hurt too much to do that with the knee like that. I also used a knee brace as needed to prevent those inadvertent knee twists which make you see stars with a torn meniscus. I also tried to rest and ice it when I was home.

I finally broke down and saw an orthopedic surgeon (when I found one willing to treat old lady knees), who ordered an MRI which confirmed the meniscus tear. He offered me the option of arthroscopic surgery, but by the time we got to that point it my knee seemed to be getting better. He said it was my choice, I could schedule the surgery or wait and see if it got better on its own. I chose to wait and see, and it did get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,770,706 times
I was drunk and the last boat had left for my ship. I swam.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 AM

11,093 posts, read 12,478,899 times
OH worst mental or physical condition...

My wife just asked (to put it mildly) for a divorce, on my birthday, and I was sick and had a fever of 102. Had to work 10pm to 8am that night. Not the best of times.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:01 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Good Lord! I don't feel so sorry for myself and the bad luck I've been having lately after reading this! I feel horrible for what you went thru and at the same time, I cannot stop laughing at the part where you asked if they were going to fire you if you couldn't gt you wouldn't die on them, LOL!!!

So, what is your memory of those 7 minutes you were off the clock ?
I have only told exactly 3 people, my father, my spouse ( who is also a minister), and my very dear and closest friend (also a minister).

Anyone else? Well I don't want to enhance, deter, replace their own beliefs....
They'll have to find out like I did.

Let's just say:
I met The Superior Energy Source of the Universe.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 PM

1,563 posts, read 777,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have only told exactly 3 people, my father, my spouse ( who is also a minister), and my very dear and closest friend (also a minister).

Let's just say:

You probably came back to tell the rest of us, so spill!!

For me, major snow storm in Colorado. Got stuck in feet of snow in a Subaru with snow tires and (thankfully) was rescued by a kind soul in a huge pickup truck with chains who pulled me to my office parking lot which was just down the road. The other time was when our entire team caught a really nasty flu and those who were less sick and feverish than others were expected to come in. Fun times.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:38 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times
Quote:

Let's just say:

struck by lightning. Yikes!

my worst condition to work in 140 degree dry heat wearing body armor, a ballistic helmet, carrying an M16A3 and driving a soft sided hummer on a highway in Iraq. Then having the convoy get broken up due to an accident and waiting on the side of the road to see if they would resume. Eventually we took off on our own to complete the mission.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:41 PM

18 posts, read 6,581 times
My head was actually severed from my neck in a boating accident on Lake Erie. It was a Sunday, and I had to work the next morning at my job as an insurance agent. I used duct tape and also tied my bow-tie really tight to keep my head attached.

During the regular Monday morning meeting, which was really a pep-talk to get the agents all hyped up before we went out cold-calling to sell insurance, I got a little too excited during the "Sell, Sell, Sell" chant at the end of the meeting, and my head fell backwards! The duct tape still held part of it in place, so my head was hanging upside-down and resting on my back staring at the agent behind me!

The agent, who was a friend of mine since Cleveland Heights high school days, kind of freaked out, but helped me get it back into place. Needless to say, I had the worst headache you could imagine for the rest of the day, but I did manage to make my quota for sales. At the end of the week, I finally got to the ER, and they sewed my head back on.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 603,720 times
With appendicitis.

Since I thought it was only a childhood ailment & I was just suffering from some horrible stomach flu or food poisoning, I tried to ride out the pain for a few days 'til it went away. I was a sweating agonizing mess but my boss absolutely hated me & I was afraid I'd lose my job if I didn't make it in.

I could barely walk into the bldg, got stuck in the elevator (I couldn't lift my leg to walk out) & realized I'd have to go to the hospital. Once outside the bldg doors that I barely made it through, I actually crawled on the ground to my car to call my ex-bf to come rescue me from my tiny little Cabriolet I was curled into like a rag doll.

They burst as the ER dr was removing them, he told me later. Oh, & my boss called me in the hospital the next morning & fired me over the phone before the dr released me. Age 35 was an unpleasant year.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:42 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,616,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
You probably came back to tell the rest of us, so spill!!

Ok. Here goes.

Let's just say I met the SESU ( Superior Energy Source of the Universe).

Let's also say organized religion has half of it all Wrong. What half I'm not saying.

But, each will find out in their own time.

Let's also say Im NOT afraid to die again.

Lol can't be, it will happen again.

And you shouldn't be either.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 PM

1,563 posts, read 777,224 times
Quote:
Ok. Here goes.

Let's just say I met the SESU ( Superior Energy Source of the Universe).

Let's also say organized religion has half of it all Wrong. What half I'm not saying.

But, each will find out in their own time.

Let's also say Im NOT afraid to die again.

Lol can't be, it will happen again.

And you shouldn't be either.
Wow, thanks! Now I am wondering which half. I thought most of it was wrong, except for the 'being kind to everyone' part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or