U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:11 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Wow, thanks! Now I am wondering which half. I thought most of it was wrong, except for the 'being kind to everyone' part.
Yes, that part is accurate.

Unfortunately so much, so many times in the history of mankind, hatred for others or "forced conversion" has been done in the name of religion.

But there's so much more that is right and that is wrong.

Don't forget I was only "gone" for 7 mins 40 seconds. Not exactly the best time to explore EVERY THING, but enough to know half of organized religion is Wrong.

Human beings destroying each other, physically, mentally or verbally, is NOT" the plan".

It's more like a doctor's Hippocratic oath..." First do no harm".

Most religious zealots have things Wrong, when all in the name of religion.

Best of luck to all who want to "figure it out", or who " want to know"....you will when your time is right.

And each person's experience may be a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:47 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
I am guessing there are no 72 Virginians waiting to greet us.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:43 AM

93 posts, read 55,798 times
On 2 hours of sleep after my roommates kept me up all night partying. One time I was incredibly sick with the flu and nearly passed out at work.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:08 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,081 times
That would be the time my giant breed dog got sprayed by a skunk. I spent the night giving her tomato juice baths and rinsing her with vinegar and water. Nothing helped. She still smelled like skunk. The next morning I went into work and as I walked past the receptionist, the receptionist picked up the phone and made a call. As soon as I got to my desk there was my boss telling me that I stink and I needed to go home. She made me leave via the emergency exit and walk all the way around the exterior of the building so I wouldn't smell it up more than I had.

It took about a week of bathing in anything that was supposed to remove the smell before I passed my neighbor's sniff test and was allowed back in the building.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 774,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes, that part is accurate.

Unfortunately so much, so many times in the history of mankind, hatred for others or "forced conversion" has been done in the name of religion.

But there's so much more that is right and that is wrong.

Don't forget I was only "gone" for 7 mins 40 seconds. Not exactly the best time to explore EVERY THING, but enough to know half of organized religion is Wrong.

Human beings destroying each other, physically, mentally or verbally, is NOT" the plan".

It's more like a doctor's Hippocratic oath..." First do no harm".

Most religious zealots have things Wrong, when all in the name of religion.

Best of luck to all who want to "figure it out", or who " want to know"....you will when your time is right.

And each person's experience may be a little different.
Thank you for elaborating!! The doing no harm is about the only thing that ever made sense to me re. religion. But most of us already have an inner compass to that effect, without religion. I don't want to know that badly, I'd rather stick around for quite a while yet.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 PM

1,722 posts, read 600,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
That would be the time my giant breed dog got sprayed by a skunk. I spent the night giving her tomato juice baths and rinsing her with vinegar and water. Nothing helped. She still smelled like skunk. The next morning I went into work and as I walked past the receptionist, the receptionist picked up the phone and made a call. As soon as I got to my desk there was my boss telling me that I stink and I needed to go home. She made me leave via the emergency exit and walk all the way around the exterior of the building so I wouldn't smell it up more than I had.

It took about a week of bathing in anything that was supposed to remove the smell before I passed my neighbor's sniff test and was allowed back in the building.
Oh, poor thing. I don't mean to laugh... I have sympathy & LOL at the same time. How long did it take the pooch to not smell like skunk & how many more times did you need to wash her?

My aroma story wasn't that bad, but I used to have terrible low back pain in my 20s & would regularly slather myself in Tiger Balm if home for the day or at night before going to bed. I had some clothing that was utterly permeated with it... it just never washed out, so they became house-only clothes. Once, I went to the market early morning on a day off in my Tiger Balm clothes & after slathering myself with it (it was a particularly painful day) & 2 ol' dolls kept commenting about a chemical smell. Several others joined in. Then a couple more. I was oblivious as I stood in line with my groceries waiting to be checked out.

They finally called over the manager to bitterly chastise him about washing the floors with such strong chemicals right before opening. When he said they hadn't, they then began asking if he'd just sprayed the store with Raid. Honestly, they went on for 10-min. He was patient as they fingerwagged him & he began glancing over at me every so often... not in a nasty way, but letting me know he knew I was the chemical smell. Fortunately, he didn't out me, cuz I'm sure the gaggle of nonagenarians would have turned on me & I was too humiliated to admit I was the Raid... but I never left the house again after putting on liniment or in my Tiger Balm clothing.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:49 PM

8,761 posts, read 7,693,193 times
A call center. A living hell.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 AM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
If we're getting down and dirty, there was the time I discovered my boss was living with my co-worker.
That was a few weeks after I had become involved in an affair with him, and - if memory serves - about 2 weeks after I had taken a vacation trip with said co-worker.

Like I said, good times!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,602,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

GOOD GOD!!!!! How utterly horrible! I often fear that same scenario. Perhaps they now sell some stuff at the pet stores that take care of it - going to check it out!!!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:10 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
I had to drench my hound in tomato juice once at 3am thanks to a skunk. Standing in line at Walmart at 2am with 10 giant cans of the stuff, I get the comment, ''Skunk?'' from the check out lady.
And it worked. No more smell, but he was orange for quite a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or