U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM

61 posts, read 30,578 times

Advertisements

[quote=Al Bumin;49407952]My head was actually severed from my neck in a boating accident on Lake Erie. It was a Sunday, and I had to work the next morning at my job as an insurance agent. I used duct tape and also tied my bow-tie really tight to keep my head attached.

For real????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 02:20 PM

1,722 posts, read 602,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bumin View Post
My head was actually severed from my neck in a boating accident on Lake Erie. It was a Sunday, and I had to work the next morning at my job as an insurance agent. I used duct tape and also tied my bow-tie really tight to keep my head attached.

For real????
What color tie?

Old 09-05-2017, 02:52 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Boating accident----- severed head------ FAKE NEWS. Think about it. Spinal cord??

Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM

10,460 posts, read 5,926,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
What color tie?

I laughed.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:02 PM

1,568 posts, read 580,094 times
Ha! Perhaps for me, a better way to phrase this ?? would be to ask, "What is the worst condition have you left work in?"

I would have to say, taken out by the paramedics almost unconscious on multiple occasions. But I guess I was like one of the 7 dwarfs, "Hi, ho, Hi, ho, it's off to work we go" and I would go back. It is what you do when you have a chronic disease and need insurance and $$$ just like everyone else!

One time I went back to work and my "Cube" had been moved to a busy spot -- so they could watch me and make sure I was okay. Done out of caring, I might add.

All I can say now is that I am very thankful when I wake up on a Monday morning, or Tuesday this week, and remember I am now retired! I still keep busy, but it is nice to be able to say "No" occasionally. Or take a nap when I need one!!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Oh, poor thing. I don't mean to laugh... I have sympathy & LOL at the same time. How long did it take the pooch to not smell like skunk & how many more times did you need to wash her?
A.Typical.Girl, it's hard to know. I was smelling it forever. I washed the dog and me daily. After about a month we ripped out the carpet and had professionals defunk the house and then had the entire interior painted with Kilz and then paint.

As long as the house was looking nice and new we decided to put it on the market. The buyers didn't mention a skunk odor, so we didn't either.

In line with your Tiger Balm, we used to use Porter's Liniment Salve and that has a strong smell too. But, I learned to like the smell eventually.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 PM

32,016 posts, read 36,629,245 times
Working massive Texas hailstorms for months on end when I was in the glass business.

Worked 26 hours a day so when I got to work I was already 2 hours late.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 AM

295 posts, read 149,467 times
Default ...cold...

Middle of the night in January. Wind. Sleet. No moon. Putting up a GP tent (General Purpose) with a camouflage canopy. Bugging out three hours later to do it all over again. Same thing for the next few nights.
p.s. to the dead guy. 'glad you made it back, brother.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Not me, but a family member (forced to join the military after graduating college with honors and a high-tech degree, but during the 1983 Recession when every company in America was laying off).

The job? On a nuclear submarine, underwater 8 months out of the year (working 18-20 hours a day with no days off) and 50 hours a week the rest of the time), unable to communicate with anyone (like family members) outside the submarine for the entire 4-month patrol (twice a year), breathing recirculated air filled with toxic chemicals, and exposed to radiation from the nuclear reactor (military reactors don't have any safety rules).

And naturally, commanded by a certifiably-insane sadist Captain who was eventually relieved of duty (unheard of, until this year when Navy ships starting running into tankers), but too late to save anyone since the boat was so old it was being decommissioned just after the commitment was up.

Since you can't quit the military, it lasted 5 years and the pay was so low that all but a handful on the submarine qualified for food stamps and other welfare.

And now, 25 years later, here's the blood cancer that is so directly linked to the radiation the submariners were exposed to, that there is a legal presumption that's how you got it.
Definitely not true. The US Navy Nuclear program has an excellent radiation control program, you get very little radiation from the power plant on a sub or surface ship. If you dive into the water and swim down to be next to the reactor on a sub, yeah, you would get some dose, but, you are working at it.

The overall safety program is also outstanding. Never had a serious reactor accident.

Sorry to veer a bit off topic, but, while the other hardships are real, the radiological and nuclear safety issues you are trying to raise are pure bunk. I know *a lot* of ex-Navy Nuke people, none of them have blood cancer or anything like that. Sure, out of a large population, one or two people will get something like this, but correlation is not causation.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 13,736 times
Broken Ribs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or