U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:52 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,682,576 times

Advertisements

My first MRI job was on a mobile scanner. The scanner was in a self contained 60 ton tractor-trailer that barely met the local road weight limits. What didn't they ask us to do on that job? The stories I have from that one year stint are over the top.

The mobile MR serviced three sites and I worked at two of them.
At the one site, the trailer was parked outside on a cement pad next to an office and was straightforward.
The other was in a snobby town where no tractor trailers were allowed to be parked anywhere in plain sight outside of the industrial area. The managing company out of Boston didn't let that stop them. They had a nice building with offices contstructed that matched the door openings on the side of trailer when the trailer was backed into the building and the garage door pulled down. Few patients had any idea they were walking into a mobile MR scanner.

The truckers backed the semi into the building in roughly the correct spot. We had to level the trailer once it was in the building to match the trailer and building door openings. I quickly learned two things: I could have it leveled, on just two legs diaganol to each other, oops, and it could be "walked" out of position while leveling.

One day, a manager ran the trailer into the garage door that was closed when he leveled it. It was barely level, the doors didn't match well, but it was decided it would be busine$$ as usual for the day. The manager/tech who leveled it, went blithely home at the end of his shift. Another tech and I at the end of our shift discovered we couldn't close the doors to the semi trailer to have it moved by the truckers because of the way it was leveled and against the building door. After a few phone calls, we were given the solution.

My co-worker, who to this day is my best friend, and I had to close and lock the doors from the inside of the semi, turn everything off and crawl through the bore of the magnet, to the end of the semi, open the huge back door of the semi and to "please be careful when climbing down the back of the semi and don't forget to turn off the helium and nitrogen valves when you get down". All of this was done in total darkness near midnight in winter, with a button battery keychain light. I'd like to say this was an isolated incident, but it wasn't. Our work ethic and can-do attitude were routinely abused.

I typed out my resignation three times while I worked for that company before finally turning it in. This incident wasn't the one that did it either, but I had the experience I needed by then.
I was left with many good stories to tell and found the best friend in that co-worker that I'll ever have. There's always a silver lining to be found.

Last edited by jean_ji; 09-30-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or