U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 PM

4,650 posts, read 3,235,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I guess I just don't understand this desire to move away from all that is familiar and a part of one's life history just because of retirement. I find comfort in familiarity and memories.:

I'm with you, FeelinLow. For a while I was really wanting to move away, maybe NC or VA, near the mountains. I think my motivation for that was an ongoing family situation that I was not happy about and thought moving would be a great way to escape.

I did make some trips to the area and got information on apartments, etc. But as time passed, the family situation resolved, I realized I could not financially make a big move, and of course, I had connections here, and I liked my doctors. I didn't want to have to start over. So as I let those "new" feelings seep in, I realized that I didn't want to move away from what I knew. And truthfully, I kind of like winter and don't have to drive to work anymore.

The only move I would make now would be to something in my area that wasn't an apartment complex. I check out the classifieds from time to time. Nothing yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 04:27 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
I'd say move back to Florida.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM

My son and his wife seem to want us to move nearby and be a part of our 1 year old granddaughters life and we plan on moving soon as my husband retires but we are very aware that we need to create an active social life. The worst thing that can happen is for you to depend on them to fill a hole where your social life was.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:43 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,504,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I guess I just don't understand this desire to move away from all that is familiar and a part of one's life history just because of retirement. I find comfort in familiarity and memories.:
To me it feels like a renunciation of everything that came before it. Like a big "Eff you" - like you hated your work, and your life and you want a whole new life, but without really knowing what that is. And then wondering why you're not happy. I think I'll stay put in my nice little one-level house and travel a few months out of the year when I feel like a change.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
To me it feels like a renunciation of everything that came before it. Like a big "Eff you" - like you hated your work, and your life and you want a whole new life, but without really knowing what that is. And then wondering why you're not happy. I think I'll stay put in my nice little one-level house and travel a few months out of the year when I feel like a change.

There are many reasons to move and not all of them have to imply unhappiness or grass is greener attitude. I love my friends and life here in our wee village but we want to be closer to the only family we have in the USA. I will miss my dear friends and it will be a new lifestyle but as immigrants we've learned to adapt and enjoy something special about each place we've lived. Key is not depending on our son to meet our social needs 👍

Old 09-09-2017, 07:50 PM
JRR

3,676 posts, read 2,222,849 times
Quote:
Everyone feel differently on this subject. We were in Central Florida 23 years for our jobs, which were OK but demanding. Central Florida could have been worse, but neither of us really cared for the climate or the traffic or the increasing population. So when we were able to move we did.

Been here for almost six months and couldn't be happier. Found pretty much everything we were looking for. On my way into town to pick up a pizza last evening, stopped to watch four deer grazing at the edge of the woods near the road. My thought was "I really like it here".

To some it might seem like a renunciation of everything that came before it, but to us it was just a refreshing change to our lives.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 3,960,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
There are many reasons to move and not all of them have to imply unhappiness or grass is greener attitude. I love my friends and life here in our wee village but we want to be closer to the only family we have in the USA. I will miss my dear friends and it will be a new lifestyle but as immigrants we've learned to adapt and enjoy something special about each place we've lived. Key is not depending on our son to meet our social needs ��
Many times people move closer to children and grandchildren, especially when it is a first or new baby, and end up being babysitters. Most parents work long hours now-a-days and first time parents don't want a "stranger" caring for their precious child, and those with a second child or more don't want to pay the price of day care for several children.

IMO, retirement is for the retired. It is a reward for giving up our lives to others. We spent our own lives as children having a "boss" (our parents, teachers, coaches, etc.), during our working years or stay-at-home raising children years we had a boss to answer to or the children to take care of, effectively putting their wants, needs and desires first. After retiring and having an "empty nest", it is "our" time.

My opinion to the OP is to move back to Florida and resume the rest of your life.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Many times people move closer to children and grandchildren, especially when it is a first or new baby, and end up being babysitters. Most parents work long hours now-a-days and first time parents don't want a "stranger" caring for their precious child, and those with a second child or more don't want to pay the price of day care for several children.

IMO, retirement is for the retired. It is a reward for giving up our lives to others. We spent our own lives as children having a "boss" (our parents, teachers, coaches, etc.), during our working years or stay-at-home raising children years we had a boss to answer to or the children to take care of, effectively putting their wants, needs and desires first. After retiring and having an "empty nest", it is "our" time.

My opinion to the OP is to move back to Florida and resume the rest of your life.

I don't disagree but for us it's not an issue 😍 We have plans in place to enjoy our retirement 😉

Old 09-15-2017, 04:40 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,034 times
Quote:
Some of us moved to our current digs to be close to a new job. We don't have friends or family here; most of family has now passed, no kids, so moving is another new adventure for us. No 'Eff you' here, I loved work, like my work buddies, but they are young and involved with building families. I liked my life here but didn't have enough time to do the things I want, in a place that will be a joy to be in. I want to walk out our front door and be struck with beauty, not be stuck in a subdivision stuffed with frantic people, scurrying about from 12am to 12pm.

For us, moving further to northern Michigan simply means exchanging banks of sodium lights for carpets of stars.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,634,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Whenever I hear an older couple talking about buying a big RV so they can visit each of their kids for months at a time and park the rig in their driveway, I wonder if the kids had anything to say about that.

I'm not a parent. But it seems to me that you give a child his own life and in return, he gives your life back to you when he leaves home.

Go back to Florida. Live your life.
Wise words. I'm with the move back to Florida group. Stat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement