U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:46 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I would like to improve on the three years of Spanish classes in highschool and college taken many decades ago. I'm living in SoCal recently and have Mexicans working here daily. There are several schools nearby and dozens of ESL classes available but not a single SSL class! No one I spoke with at two schools had even heard of such a thing.

Why not? Do they exist somewhere? Am I left to buy a commercial product?
Come spend a couple of weeks in South Florida. I think 80% of our population's first language is Spanish.

Seriously, we have entire cities where no one speaks English including government offices. Billboards, everything is in Spanish.

Or buy Rosetta Stone.

I recently saw a free online class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:58 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,635,623 times
Or try one of these.

Learn 48 Languages Online for Free | Open Culture

Old 09-03-2017, 02:35 PM

332 posts, read 652,090 times
I took four years of Spanish in HS and another four in college. Used it extensively in my work. Now that I'm retired, I take non-credit Spanish language courses at my local community college to keep in practice.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:13 PM

1,924 posts, read 988,935 times
Quote:
I would like to improve on the three years of Spanish classes in highschool and college taken many decades ago. I'm living in SoCal recently and have Mexicans working here daily. There are several schools nearby and dozens of ESL classes available but not a single SSL class! No one I spoke with at two schools had even heard of such a thing.

I grew up in the west and took two years of Spanish in high school. I think your idea is a great one. I don't think it will fly in our current social/political climate.

We had a beginning Spanish class at our Senior Center. I think it could have been great since I was the only student if my (very nice) first grade school teacher could have loosened up a little.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:18 PM

14,032 posts, read 20,343,555 times
Take a look at Memrise.com
I am using it to learn PortuguÍs for an upcoming vacation to Portugal.
I have 170+ hours "invested".

Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 PM

2,643 posts, read 4,821,554 times
Quote:

Go to Udemy.com and search for Spanish classes. Use the price filter for "free classes" and you will find 10 beginner intro Spanish courses for free.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:49 PM

3,889 posts, read 1,651,610 times
I used to work for someone who sometimes hired Spanish-speaking workers. I had to use all my high-school Spanish and a lot of hand-waving to communicate. Fortunately, many of them were trying to learn/improve English, so they liked practicing on me. I was a little confused when one asked me, "How is your baby?" (I don't have kids.) But it led to a good--if limited--discussion of what to call a child.

Maybe you could go to your local Home Depot and hire a guy to help you with your Spanish!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,014,518 times
In the 70s and 80s I traveled on my job. I went to Miami every other week and concluded that some Spanish would be useful. I bought some Berlitz tapes and played them when driving on the road or with a Walkman player if I was flying.
I didn't become fluent, but I would not go naked or hungry and could buy a tank of gas. Subsequently we took trips tp Spain, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and more times than I can count to Mexico.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 PM

1,527 posts, read 633,930 times
Try watching telenovelas on Telemundo on the television or online. Also try Duolingo.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:04 PM

394 posts, read 156,937 times
You can volunteer at the ESL school. There, you may meet people who speak Spanish. Order food in Spanish from a latino employee at Mc Donald's. Better yet, go to a Mexican Restaurant and order food completely in Spanish. I like to go to the Latino grocery stores and speak Spanish there.
You may also take classes at the local college. Spanish classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or