U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times

Advertisements

It's time for our auto insurance renewal so I am wondering how our costs compare to others in an older age group. We have only one car - five years old, paid for, low mileage. Value of about $15K. We don't drive that often but do plan to take some road trips coming up. No claims whatsoever in the past ten years. We have Safeco with an umbrella policy and the rate is $857 a yr. In looking at it further, the policy includes a line item for medical payments so wondering if we could drop that. Is the umbrella really necessary? It requires very high coverage on both home and auto even though it doesn't cost that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:32 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,282,908 times
Nobody can say if your rates are reasonable without knowing where you live. Your best bet is to ask for bids from a few other insurance companies.

You want an umbrella policy only if you have significant assets you don't want to risk losing.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:38 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
OP you may want to post these insurance questions in the Auto Insurance Forum in the Auto Forum category. Many insurance agents post there.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 PM

13,189 posts, read 6,301,958 times
It depends on where you live.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:59 PM

71,459 posts, read 71,629,249 times
credit rating in most states , age ,marriage status , location ,miles driven ,driving record all factor in to your premium .trying to compare is almost useless .

Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,121 times
I'll check the insurance forum. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It depends on where you live.
Absolutely. I've had Mercury since the second year I started driving, since 1973. Nobody every came close to their quote. They gave me good service too on those few occasions when I was hit by somebody.

My insurance is due for renewal in a couple of weeks and since I'm moving and they don't write in Idaho, I needed to find a new carrier. The renewal invoice was for $600+ that included 300,000/500,000/100,000 on two cars, one financed and the other 33 years old. This is in SoCal.

The quote I received from USAA for the same coverage, (except 250k instead of 300k), in North Idaho is less than half what the Mercury renewal would be!

Yes! Location makes a big difference and it really isn't useful to know what somebody in Cleveland is paying when you live in El Paso. That is, unless you're planning on moving to Cleveland and are curious what people pay. Then, it depends on annual mileage, the cars, level of coverage, etc.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Nobody can say if your rates are reasonable without knowing where you live. Your best bet is to ask for bids from a few other insurance companies.

You want an umbrella policy only if you have significant assets you don't want to risk losing.
There are other reasons for umbrella coverage that I believe are more important.. My umbrella policy adds additional coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. These are first party coverages that will directly benefit us if we are in an accident and injured by a driver with no insurance or inadequate insurance. I currently maintain a policy that insures us for $1.1 million for bodily injury liability, uninsured motorist insurance, and underinsured motorist insurance.

People are too focused on simply lawsuits and protecting assets. Those are valid concerns, but you want the ability to obtain significant compensation for yourself, family members, and passengers if you are victimized by a dead beat driver.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There are other reasons for umbrella coverage that I believe are more important.. My umbrella policy adds additional coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. These are first party coverages that will directly benefit us if we are in an accident and injured by a driver with no insurance or inadequate insurance. I currently maintain a policy that insures us for $1.1 million for bodily injury liability, uninsured motorist insurance, and underinsured motorist insurance.

People are too focused on simply lawsuits and protecting assets. Those are valid concerns, but you want the ability to obtain significant compensation for yourself, family members, and passengers if you are victimized by a dead beat driver.

+1

Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
I believe you have to shop for your Auto Insurance every few years. There's 3 or 4 big names in the Industry -- Geico, Liberty, Hartford, USAA. Probably a few others worth quoting. Just take your current Declarations Page, white-out your cost column and give it to the new Agent.

We are currently with Hartford thru AARP. We both have the usual catalog of clean driving records and low miles driven per year....the Premiums are creeping up. Even after taking their online Defensive Driver course, they want an increase.

I currently have a great quote from Geico for 6 months. I think we're going to switch. If they start with the Increases every renewal......we'll switch again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or