Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:53 PM

226 posts, read 214,651 times

Advertisements

Well, as I sit here waiting for Irma to hammer us this weekend, this fall I look forward to the end of Hurricane season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Well, as I sit here waiting for Irma to hammer us this weekend, this fall I look forward to the end of Hurricane season.
best wishes for storm avoidance,

opposite issue here... (Too Dry) raging forest fire swept to nearby mtns, jumped a mile wide river, then wind changed direction and spared us (This time).

Not out of the woods yet (until 2 months of rain happen) bring on fall!

Mother Nature has her OWN ways and routes. Some are spared, some are hammered, ALL are at risk.

We cannot change the movement of HUGE weather events. No-one but mother nature was gonna change our fire (0% contained, not containable w/o the forces +/- of Mother Nature).

so far in USA life... treated to the following; (International life brought other Mother Nature Challenges...)
  • Tornadoes (While living on Prairie)
  • (3) 500yr Flash Floods... 40+ ft rising river levels (CO and TX)
  • (1) Volcano (St Helens, 40 miles away)
  • (3) earthquakes
  • countless flash floods... 5-15'
  • Hail (harvest hail...)
  • Locusts (eat the paint and window screens off house)
  • 80+ mph winds (blew the neighbor's house AWAY when I was age 8)
  • Lots of lightning causes forest fires, sometimes 10+ would start in one day! (Estes Park, CO ranch),
  • Lighting every summer afternoon 3-5pm
  • Dust storms
  • Blizzards (Usually during lambing season)
  • Wildfires (human and equipment)
  • Harvest fires (wheat + equipment / lightning

then the 'Man Made' disasters... losing co-workers in grain explosion
farm and industrial accidents... air crash...

Fall... I luv fall and giving 'Thanks' at Thanksgiving (for 'enduring' / surviving / conquering another yr)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-07-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Summer is unofficially over.

Time to get out the light jackets and long pants.

I hate when summer ends, and don't care for winter. In a few years we will be wintering in warmer climate.

So, to help me get over the doldrums as Fall sets in, what do you look for that excited you about Fall?

I HATE raking leaves, I hate the cooler weather setting in, I hate the looming threat of snow coming eventually.

I like spring and summer, but fall is the leadway into winter.

So what's your favorite part of Fall?
OH MY I am the total odd ball out. I LOVE the cooler weather. I do not mind raking leaves and all the wonderful mulch it gives me for my flower beds. I am praying we do not have another brutal winter like last was but if it happens I am much better prepared this year with less need to pull so much snow off animal shelters. I like the smells in fall that is if there are not so many wild fires happening. Every one is smoke choked around here over several states. I like to cozy up to a cat in my lap and a good book. I feel more like eating in cooler weather. I love the seasons changing and colors of the leaves I will be raking. Smell of people burning there wood stoves, different from the destructive forest fires, and the silence of the snow at night and also the geese calling during the day. Guess I am just pretty goofy.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, and probably won't help the OP but fall is the best time to go camping. Build a nice big campfire, roast some hot dogs and marshmallows, maybe make a few pies, and sit around the fire telling stories or looking for constellations in the stars.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I love Autumn and Spring the best. To me they are just perfect.
In Autumn I love how there is a crisp chill in the air, but not too cold yet. The leaves start changing.
All those reds, oranges and yellow...pumpkins popping up everywhere. It's a time to spend more time indoors,
reading, watching some television, baking...sitting back with a cup of hot coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
Baking some brownies or muffins...or an apple or pumpkin pie.
Really, I think Autumn just might be the prettiest of all the seasons.
(But Spring sure does give it a run for it's money..)
I really enjoy living in a place where there are four distinct seasons though. Each one kind of special and perfect in it's own ways.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM

368 posts, read 365,845 times
Football

Old 09-09-2017, 03:56 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
OH MY I am the total odd ball out. I LOVE the cooler weather. I do not mind raking leaves and all the wonderful mulch it gives me for my flower beds. I am praying we do not have another brutal winter like last was but if it happens I am much better prepared this year with less need to pull so much snow off animal shelters. I like the smells in fall that is if there are not so many wild fires happening. Every one is smoke choked around here over several states. I like to cozy up to a cat in my lap and a good book. I feel more like eating in cooler weather. I love the seasons changing and colors of the leaves I will be raking. Smell of people burning there wood stoves, different from the destructive forest fires, and the silence of the snow at night and also the geese calling during the day. Guess I am just pretty goofy.
^^ not goofy at all. I second the motion.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM

221 posts, read 192,799 times
The season flip means you've endured the summer sizzle and welcome fall. Many in AZ embrace the outdoor lifestyle and have an enhanced backyard. This is an extension of the home where entertaining, meals and even sleeping are ongoing as favorable events. Looking forward to this, while not following daylight savings crime, is an understatement.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:37 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Spring. More specifically, daylight savings time. I don't like the sun setting before 6pm...

Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Here where I live autumn is loved...chilly nights, beautiful leaves, fireplaces lit, good books and a warm throw...calm before holidays...
(but I actually don't have crazy holidays by choice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement