U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 AM

11,080 posts, read 12,461,714 times

Advertisements

Summer is officially over? It was 104 degrees here yesterday.

I am looking forward to COOL weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:56 AM

662 posts, read 476,598 times
Throwing open windows to sleep cool snuggled under a blanket. Going for a drive through the bursting color of the mountains with the top open. Mulled cider. Soft sweaters. Long pants (no leg shaving for months! ), Curling up by the fireplace with a book, cat and cup of hot tea. Hiking longer because it's cooler. That Autumn smell of life's cycle.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Alright, I finally have arugula in the garden, veg that only grows when it's cool.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 AM

284 posts, read 138,476 times
When I was younger I loved fall. Now I hate it. I can't stand that the days are quickly getting shorter and the weather is cool. My favorite time of year is April-Early August. And this year our warmest day (Central Wisconsin) occurred on June 10th, where it was a whopping 88 degrees. I am glad I was Georgia this summer and it was in the 90s. I think we used our air conditioning for a total of 5 days this summer. I don't like that the Orioles and hummingbirds will soon leave, the grossbeaks have been gone for at least 2 weeks.
I love warm weather and long days of sun. This time of year is awful because of all the changes. Soon the woodburner will be running all day and the days keep getting shorter and shorter. Yuck!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 AM

2,014 posts, read 2,708,600 times
Autumn has a unique beauty that lifts my spirits. The air feels clearer and crisper, and it has a pleasant fragrance. Here in Maine, I like to go on hikes through the woods and walking along the beach in autumn. The quality of light and the colors are incredible. I love autumn!! I thoroughly enjoy winter as well--winter is very peaceful here.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I look forward to the cooler weather when autumn arrives. I hate hot, sunny weather. Soon in Seattle, the rains will come, and the lovely soft gray skies, and I find that a comforting thought. It's 77 degrees Fahrenheit tonight in Seattle, at 10pm. Far, far, far too warm.
I agree, fall is my favorite time of year, with the trees turning color, cooler weather and the return of the nice rain turning lawns green again.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,237,575 times
Probably the only thing I do NOT like about Fall is the shortening of daylight hours.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:54 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,198,247 times
Football and the moose rut.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:08 AM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
Fall is my favorite time of year! Love the crisp air and the autumn sunlight has a special glow. The lack of humidity is energizing and makes walks and gardening much more enjoyable.

Also we look forward to college football. Best of all are day trips to the beach, which is uncrowded and lovely to walk along the shore and enjoy the lapping waves, seabirds and fresh ocean air. Did I say I love autumn??

Old 09-05-2017, 11:10 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Are you KIDDING?! It's my favorite season of the year - fresh-smelling and beautiful to behold. GONE are those dank, ultra-humid days with their sticky, gooey film over everything. I find it extremely ENERGIZING, as though I've awakened from a temperature-induced COMA, and I can now take longer walks with ease. No more mowing every week! The disappearance of most of the nastiest bugs, especially fleas and ticks!

Late spring depresses ME since I know what follows are 3 months of living indoors with the AC cranked, and the only thing that saves my sanity is the garden I plant then. At least during the onslaught of the inevitable putrid air, I can look out the window and see the beautiful colors. Yeah...I do have to go outside to water them everyday, but I always drench MYSELF with the hose as well - which absolutely delights the neighborhood kids! :-)
I could have written this. I kept saying, "Yes, yes and yes!"

My only addition is I like fall foods: Bosc pears, hearty stews, buttermilk biscuits, cornbread... Well, maybe they're not strictly fall foods but that's when we tend to eat them. Crisp apples that haven't been in cold storage. Pies.

I can't wait for the temperature to drop and my right knee to stop hurting so I can go for walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or