U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:17 AM

1,698 posts, read 2,607,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I love everything about fall! Summer is horrible for me due to health. I feel like a new and different person when October rolls around. I exercise more and sleep better, and am generally happier.
Amen to THAT, Sharpy! My mood picks right up after feeling like a "cooked" Zombie throughout the summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM

3,905 posts, read 1,658,699 times
The humidity goes down. Comfy.
The tourists go home. Quiet.
Tangerines and Avocados come ripe. Delicious.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:44 AM

6,601 posts, read 1,364,850 times
Autumn is my FAVORITE season -- cool, crisp days and nights, the smell of wood smoke, colorful leaves (and I ENJOY raking), hearty meals and baking more, Halloween and Thanksgiving and looking forward to Christmas, wearing sweaters. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!

If I had my way, I would only have two weeks of hot summer days!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:45 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
In my area the Fall colors are fantastic. We get a lot of tourists just to see the Fall colors.

We are expecting our apple harvest soon, we make hard apple cider.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:47 AM

1,068 posts, read 518,681 times
When I lived in the northeast, I hated fall because it signaled the end of summer. Now that I'm in the Bay Area, I like fall and winter better than the summer months. This year has been a brutal summer.

But the real reason to love fall is the NFL.....go Pats!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,174,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Glorious fall foliage, crispy cool days and nights, festivals and fairs every weekend, hot instead of cold beverages, stews and soups instead of salads, clothes more concealing and flattering, World Series, college and high school football, children and teenagers off the streets and back in school, no more mowing, high grass and ticks and snakes abating, lower electric bill, day hikes in parks and forests, mums and gourds and pumpkins, theater season kicks into high gear, it's the best time of the year!
This above
It is my very favorite time of year.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Probably the only thing I do NOT like about Fall is the shortening of daylight hours.
This is the first year that I am looking forward to the shorter days. I can't sleep when it is so bright outside so late. I feel like I have to stay up until 1 or 2. When it gets dark at 6 - I can sleep at 10!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:19 PM
46H

967 posts, read 587,016 times
The temps and humidity drop, EPL soccer is in full swing, and most important - ski season is only a couple of months away.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 583,796 times
The OP was asking about what we like about the Fall. I'm not sure that OP was talking just about the changing weather, although OP did mention cooler temps and raking leaves.

I'm going to try this from a different angle, that of Fall as a time of new beginnings, life-wise. It is "back to school" time and a time for a new start.

* A time to start volunteering at the local elementary school
* A time to get a part-time job at the local school - work as a "school lunch lady" or a crossing guard, or a bus driver! Join the local high school Band Boosters - they don't discriminate age-wise --- they would love to have you! Show up at the local high school football game with a friend! Or a local college game!
* It is the start of Fall season at most churches & synagogues. Join a Sunday School class or teach one! Join the Senior group, the Men's group....
* Volunteer for a civic committee! Or volunteer for a political cause! Put your name on the sign-up to be an election judge [every place I have ever lived there are never any openings in my local neighborhoods -- but maybe it is different where you are!]
*Volunteer at the local hospital or with a local hospice!
*Volunteer with the local animal shelter, the food bank, the Red Cross
*Join a choir or band

The point is, the Fall is the beginning of a new season of activities, a new cycle. A time to start fresh. It's okay if you do not like the outdoor activities -- but there is something out there that you get can started in to make this Fall season special for the next few years before you do move down to a warmer climate.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a pleasant Fall/Autumn. Meanwhile, down here in Arizona, even though the days are still 100+, my Fall state of mind is here, and new activities are starting.

BUT, I just checked the prices of the Halloween candy at the grocery store this year -- and I think we will be waiting to buy it -- too expensive nowadays to buy it early, 'cause you know what happens, it gets eaten up by the grown-ups and then you have to go buy another batch for the Trick or Treaters!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,873,794 times
The only thing I like about fall:

State Fair of Texas
Texas-OU Football Game (Red River Showdown)
Wearing fall clothing
Annual trip to Santa Fe in October (the Aspens, Canyon Road, ahhh)
Smell of wood smoke in the air
Not listening to the A/C drone on and on and being frozen out by it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or