Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

No more sweating. No more huge power bills!!! At last being able to take long walks with the dogs.

MAYBE...Thursday will be our last 100+ day. Fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I think DH enjoys sitting on the deck in the evenings the most. I guess I enjoy it also. It's nice to see him finally sitting down and relaxing at the end of the day.

I know he also likes to rake leaves because the cat comes along and jumps in the piles to help him. That dear animal was put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping our lazy old orange cat will adopt her habit of keeping him company during his outdoor chores.

The first sign that fall is coming, besides the increased squirrel activity, is our neighbor's giant and ancient oak tree beginning to drop its acorns. They fall on the deck and sound like little explosions. Pop, pop, pop. It always takes a while for us to adjust to the new sound in the neighborhood.

The squirrels begin leaving walnuts in my outdoor planters. Sometimes they dig them up again and move them to a "safer" place. Or is that a case of squirrel pantry robbery? Makes me laugh. How can they smell where they are in below zero weather? Or do they actually remember?

The thing I enjoy the most if the weather is kind to us is our trip to Red Wing, MN on the Mississippi River near the end of September, beginning of October. We get the motorcycles out and ready one last time for the end of summer ride, bundle up and if we're lucky by mid afternoon we may be able to take off our jackets.

There are charming and very old bed and breakfast places all along the river. We enjoy traveling both the WI and MN sides looking at the leaves and eating in the little towns with their specialty cafes. There's one in WI that serves wonderful Swedish pancakes and lingonberries in a sunken garden setting that usually has gentle live music. Such a luxury to dine where there's home cookin'.

Sometimes we tour the National Eagle Center in Wabasha or travel up to Stillwater for a steamboat river cruise with buffet and New Orleans style jazz band.

Lots of beauty and history along there. Wabasha was the first town in MN. Sometimes I think about the brave (or desperate) settlers and the dear price it must have been for the ferry. Those enterprising early arrivers who thought to run a ferry business were wise people. They must have made a small fortune.

Hah. Just had a thought. Maybe that's why Wabasha was the first town settled. Once they spent their nest egg they probably had to settle down for a while to replenish it and some probably just stayed.

We used to ride all the way up until Thanksgiving but this is usually the last hurrah for us these days. I have all the right gear but have grown grumpy about riding in bad weather and have paid my dues.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:53 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
I look forward to college and NFL football. It is a better view in front of the TV at home than inside a stadium. I actually prefer the moderate temps of Fall and Spring. The heat of summer and cold/snowy winter are not enjoyable.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
This is our first autumn in many years that we have not been in Florida. Looking forward to saying goodbye to the 80s during the day, cool nights (forecast is for 42 tomorrow night), autumn colors, college football and pumpkin donuts at Ralph's. As far as autumn leading into winter; bring it on. Getting some days with snow is what we wanted. Winter here is not as long or as harsh as in many other places.

Bonus is that we do not have to spend September/October watching for hurricanes. Like exactly what is happening in Florida right now. We went through that with Matthew last year and we have been there/done that more than enough times.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:02 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Nice cooler weather
Hurricane
S. Of course somewhere else

Old 09-05-2017, 04:00 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
our photography

Old 09-05-2017, 04:16 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,794 times
The end of chiggers, mosquitoes, flies and ants are the a big thing to me. Less sweat, more jackets. I'm tired of the warm weather this year.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:20 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,116 times
Football; High School, College, NFL
cooler weather
Making chili or soups

Old 09-05-2017, 04:31 PM

118 posts, read 86,021 times
This fall I will be driving the back roads in my newly finished 1973 VW Beetle hunting for undisturbed leaves that fell in the road. Drive through them at about 30mph and watch them swirl in the double vortex the unique VW rounded shape creates. yeah, well simple mind simple pleasures... Been doing it since 1970. it's a tradition that I will be introducing my grandkids to.

TU

Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,380,343 times
Driving through the mountains in October looking at the leaves, stopping and getting a home baked apple pie at a roadside stand, open windows at night, the smell of a campfire, the sound of the high school marching band up the street, FOOTBALL and the World Series, soups and beef stew and homemade chicken pot pie, getting out the Pendleton blankets for the bed, reading books in the morning under the covers with a good cup of coffee and a warm brown tabby cat. NO MORE HUMIDITY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement