U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM

4,443 posts, read 2,614,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
I look forward to having jacket pockets to carry my cellphone, keys, keycards, fobs, earphone, and wallet - hard to find room with just pants.

Cool weather is better for hiking (rarely gets below freezing)

Fewer crazies on the downtown streets. I think a lot of em go south for the winter.

Not seeing super hot scantily clad young women who I have no business looking at walking by. Sounds great in theory, but not when you know you're invisible to them.
I, too got tired of not having enough pockets to carry everything, so I invested in a travel Swiss army bag, I call it my "murse", short for man purse.
It is about 11-12" tall, 8" wide and 5" deep. Has two main zippered pockets, and two slimmer zippered pockets. It has pocket space for CCs if you like, and pen pouches, and secret interior compartments. It even has a key holder sewn in for an extra key. It has a short handle and longer shoulder strap that can be worn cross body so it can't be ripped off.

I carry 3 wallets to carry all the ID, credit, medical, and loyalty cards I need to carry in it. I carry extra emergency meds, check books, EpiPen, extra glasses, phone, pocket calendar for appointments, pens, frequently used business cards, change purse, and etc etc.

It works, I get lots of positive comments on it and questions if where I got it( Target a long time ago).

Amazon, Target have several sizes and styles of Swiss army travel bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM

4,443 posts, read 2,614,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Me too! I love when it gets dark early, it is like someone telling me, "Okay, you can stop now, stay home and relax. You don't have to feel guilty because it is dark out." LOL, I am weird too.
I, conversely, hate when the days get shorter.
According to our weather man, we are losing daylight at a rate if 5 minutes a day part from both ends.

It's now 7 am before it gets enough light to see, and dark by 7 pm is rapidly approaching.
Soon, here in the NE, it will be dark when I go to work at 4 pm, and dark when I get out at midnight, and dark when I get up!!!

I find that TOTALLY depressing!!!

We lose daylight more rapidly than we gain it back, which will start in the end of December.

Bitter cold in Feb gets closer when fall arrives, when temps may be always below 15 every day for days on end. 15, if we are lucky, will be a "balmy" high for the day. Dripping faucets to keep pipes from freezing becomes a norm for many here.

Many have complained about high energy bills from a/c.... well, here we trade electric bill for a/c for nat gas bill for heat!!!! Same same
Fall and spring provide about a month of reprieve from the bills, but that's about it. This year Nat gas prices, like gasoline prices will RISE.

The "pretty leaves like" only give way to Leaves ad nauseum to be dealt with daily, and mulching them becomes a difficult task for a push mower when you have 13 trees dropping them.

Time to add storm windows and plastic to the windows, to TRY to conserve heat, even with replacement windows, drafts can still be felt when winter sets in, and fall is a time of reminder that's on its way.

I do three times as much laundry with long pants shirts, flannel and microfleece sheets and heavy blankets as well as jackets. Be summer shorts and short sleeves shirts as easy to launder by comparison.

I have to actually put socks and shoes in instead if just slipping into fip flop like sandals.

I have to relaunder the jackets and long clothes as they may be "closet dirty", and need "refreshing" to smell good and get wrinkles out.

Light bulbs, even the LEDs, seem to burn out quicker during fall and thusly Winter.

Time to get out the snow blower so it's handy and put away the lawn mower. Gotta change the furnace filter and get it Serviced.

But I thank everyone for their "Favorites" about Fall, so far I haven't seen any new ideas about Fall to do much to change my mind.

MAYBE some one will come up with something that will improve my depressing ideals about Fall....

There are only 3 things I like about Fall, apple cider, pumpkin pie ( which now that I'm diabetic is kind of off the list) and a slow roasted turkey.

Keep them coming!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
What can I say...I just love autumn! It's invigoring to me, love the colors and cooler weather, football, the flowers, smells, clothes. I now live in an area of the country where there is very little change in seasons but I try to fully enjoy the little we have. Used to travel to New England for vacations but haven't been able to do that in quite a while.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 AM

295 posts, read 149,704 times
Default Tidewater, Virginia...

The Autumns here are beautiful.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
The end of these terrible wildfires here in the Pacific Northwest, and the extreme weather we've experienced this year. It snowed all winter, rained all spring, and our tinder-dry summer has turned into a regional inferno. A friend of mine told me she never wished so hard for rain in her life. Not to make light of people's troubles, but I wish Houston could send us some of their H2O...

Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,644,363 times
the colours, the smell, the cooler weather, open windows and hot cups of tea.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Am I really, on this 77th post, the first one to mention hunting season?! Hunting season has to be, for me anyway, the crown jewel of the year, and it happens in fall.

That and other things. Being able to wear a jacket or at least a vest, without being hot. Not being sweaty most of the day. Being able to take a hike or at least a walk, without being all funky.

Final harvests from the garden, bittersweet to get the last tomatoes, etc., which have been with us all summer, but there are squash and maybe pumpkins that only show up in fall.

Being able to cook soups, stews, roasts, etc. and the heat is welcome in the house, rather than a nuisance.

Firewood season. Fairs and other harvest celebrations.

You people who find fall to be a harbinger of a too-severe winter, maybe should consider moving. I won't live anywhere I have to dread the winter, thanks.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:08 PM

295 posts, read 149,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Am I really, on this 77th post, the first one to mention hunting season?! Hunting season has to be, for me anyway, the crown jewel of the year, and it happens in fall.

That and other things. Being able to wear a jacket or at least a vest, without being hot. Not being sweaty most of the day. Being able to take a hike or at least a walk, without being all funky.

Final harvests from the garden, bittersweet to get the last tomatoes, etc., which have been with us all summer, but there are squash and maybe pumpkins that only show up in fall.

Being able to cook soups, stews, roasts, etc. and the heat is welcome in the house, rather than a nuisance.

Firewood season. Fairs and other harvest celebrations.

You people who find fall to be a harbinger of a too-severe winter, maybe should consider moving. I won't live anywhere I have to dread the winter, thanks.
Thank you, Mitch! While I do not hunt, I welcome hunting season as it spares me more deer than necessary for an automobile accident. As a city boy living in the country, I have quickly learned that Bambi is not my friend. The more hunters in my area the better.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 PM

6,376 posts, read 3,582,535 times
Originally from NY and moved to SW Florida for 10 years. I desperately missed Fall/4 Seasons, and kids and grandkids, and we retired to the Pocono Mts. last February. My first real Fall back.

What do I like? Autumn leaves. Smell of wood burning fireplaces. Apple and Pumpkin Picking with grandkids. Halloween and Thanksgiving. Down Comforters and Flannel Sheets and Pj's. Wearing flannel shirts, Irish Wool Sweaters, and Ugg Boots.

Baking Apple and Pumpkin Pies picked fresh from Orchards and Farms. Making Soups and Stews. Roasting Meats and Turkey in the Oven for hours.

Bonus being in the Mountains; seeing deer and wild turkeys right in my own backyard surrounded by woods.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Cooler weather, fewer bugs, less rain and humidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or