U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,509,293 times

Advertisements

I spend my time with my dogs and spouse. Thinking of adding a cat. All the company I need most days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:34 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
I feel much less stress. For the first time in my life I can relax. I can do whatever I want.

I have time.

House and cars are paid off, I have no more worries about losing my job and I have an adequate monthly income I can count on. Also, with Medicare, less worry about medical expenses.

Kids all have great careers and grandchildren provide lots of entertainment.

What's not to like?

Old 09-07-2017, 06:41 AM

120 posts, read 59,171 times
That's still a lot of discontented people in each age group.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,866,638 times
Very content and grateful to have shelter, enough food, no debt, a spouse I love, and am doing post-retirement work that doesn't seem like work but a passion--part-time pet-sitting and part-time writing. Plus some meaningful volunteer work with the local library.

Life seems full, but not overly busy. Little stress. I enjoy our small, sweet town and its people a bunch.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM

118 posts, read 128,028 times
I am loving this thread, because that is exactly how I feel and have been wondering why.

I am mid-60's recently retired from nursing, a job that I loved. I have 3 children now adults who are married with the cutest little ones ever. But in reading this thread, I realize that I would have answered the survey at each life stage as very content. I loved having small children, and in the acquisition phase there is alway some big event to look forward to... new baby, new house, etc

So while I have always felt blessed and content, there was an element of stress, pressure & drive that has just evaporated since the kids & job left. A sense of interior freedom has replaced that low level need to achieve. Every day is mine! I get up and do exactly what I want to do..I travel, take OLLI classes, take piano lessons and read all those books on the shelf to be read someday.

At this age while we are aware that the sand is mostly through the hourglass the joy in living today makes that for the most part irrelevant.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
At 65 but still working, I have to agree that I am the most satisfied as I have ever been. My wife and I have successful adult children, the fun of two wonderful grand kids, and a job that I really enjoy at a great waterfront location.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,179,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

As to that, it's so nice to be able to just chat with a man who just looks at me now as an auntie type. I can now have a meaningful conversation with people without everyone wondering if there's some ulterior sexual motive.

And you know what I'm talking about, if you're honest with yourselves :-)

There will still be those few who would take anyone LOL, but overall, I can now just have conversations with people without any of that sexual tension - will he think I'm coming on to him, will she think I want her husband, etc., etc.
The sad thing is that you don't find that sad. While I cannot do the "things" I used to do, the memory of doing them in my youth, and how mush satisfaction I got out of them is still there.

If you don't miss them, then I wonder if you ever appreciated them in the first place.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM

4,671 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

As to that, it's so nice to be able to just chat with a man who just looks at me now as an auntie type. I can now have a meaningful conversation with people without everyone wondering if there's some ulterior sexual motive.

And you know what I'm talking about, if you're honest with yourselves :-)

There will still be those few who would take anyone LOL, but overall, I can now just have conversations with people without any of that sexual tension - will he think I'm coming on to him, will she think I want her husband, etc., etc.

My jaw dropped when I read this. All I can say is "get over yourself."

Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 AM

10,463 posts, read 5,930,681 times
I think the older the get the more financially independent you become. Your savings have (theoretically) grown and you are close to if not already receiving SS. That alone will make people more content than the 35 year old father of 4 who has heard rumors that the plant may be closing.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 AM

3,696 posts, read 1,870,935 times
At 61, 62 in December - I am more calm, peaceful and I don't worry much about anything.

I am busy getting rid of possessions, downsizing what I carry around, find peace in not wanting so much.

Retiring in December, drawing SS in January. Anxiety only from worrying about if money will get screwed up because someone didn't do their job properly, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or