U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:38 AM

10,154 posts, read 12,448,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
+1.
I genuinely enjoyed working, right up until when I retired in late 2011. Ditto DH, who retired in early 2013.
In our late 60's, we're both happier now that we've ever been in our lives.
I am still working but it isn't because I have to it's because I want to.

I have reached the point where I could turn around and walk away this very instant and we would be just fine knowing I would never have to work again unless I wanted to.

The set up right now is I work for two weeks spanning one weekend and then I am off for two weeks spanning three weekends. It's like having a two week paid vacation every month... what is not to like about that?

First time in our lives we ever lived in a condo and now I wonder why we didn't do this 20 years ago. No yard work, I don't even own a rake, and with the HOA taking care of all exterior maintenance I wouldn't have had to shell out $14,000 for the roof replacement done seven years ago. My yard work is limited to three potted plants every spring to add color to the porch.

Got up three hours ago and still gotta find something to do today. If it was warmer I would go to the pool but a bit chilly so that is out. Might go shopping for summer clothes since everything is on sale. I dunno, will decide after lunch.

The only thing I have to do is my exercise. Anytime Fitness and walk the community circle which is about 1/3rd mile around. The first third is flat, the second third is downhill and the last third is all uphill so it's good exercise.

Oh, and I need to get my bike to the bike shop. Maybe tomorrow.

Life has never been better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,358,702 times
Do you guys think it's because kids are generally grown up and gone by then?

My kids are teens right now and it is by far the most stressful time of parenting for me (so far anyway)

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

6,391 posts, read 3,634,397 times
I like living at my own pace.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 AM

195 posts, read 108,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

As to that, it's so nice to be able to just chat with a man who just looks at me now as an auntie type. I can now have a meaningful conversation with people without everyone wondering if there's some ulterior sexual motive.

And you know what I'm talking about, if you're honest with yourselves :-)

There will still be those few who would take anyone LOL, but overall, I can now just have conversations with people without any of that sexual tension - will he think I'm coming on to him, will she think I want her husband, etc., etc.
I understand what you are saying. While it was nice being young and attractive and having men flirt with you back in your younger days there is a lot to be said for just knowing that anyone who is talking to you now is just interested in the conversation.

If you showed picture of how I look now to me when I was thirty and good-looking I probably would have jumped out a window, but at almost 60 it doesn't really bother me. There is a certain freedom in not worrying about all of the vanities of youth. I am extremely healthy but no longer slender. Who cares?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 AM

195 posts, read 108,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Do you guys think it's because kids are generally grown up and gone by then?

My kids are teens right now and it is by far the most stressful time of parenting for me (so far anyway)
Yes... I think that has something to do with it. By this point in life hopefully the only thing you have to worry about is yourself and your spouse. Everyone else should be self-sufficient by now.

I also believe that as we age many of us learn a valuable lesson from "The School of Hard Knocks" and that is that you can plan everything out to the letter but that doesn't mean it will work out the way you thought, so learn to roll with the punches. I live by Alfred E. Newman's philosophy of "What... Me Worry???". If I focused on all of the things that didn't go the way I planned I would be a mess, so I deal with whatever comes along as it comes along. For instance, tonight I am making hamburgers on the grill because this weekend I am going to be hit by a Cat 5 hurricane so I won't be able to grill anything.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,397,677 times
Quote:
Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

As to that, it's so nice to be able to just chat with a man who just looks at me now as an auntie type. I can now have a meaningful conversation with people without everyone wondering if there's some ulterior sexual motive.

There will still be those few who would take anyone LOL, but overall, I can now just have conversations with people without any of that sexual tension - will he think I'm coming on to him, will she think I want her husband, etc., etc.
No More Snow Please do not let those that are resisting your thoughts as being anything but honest get to you. I feel EXACTLY as you do and I am totally over myself never was NOT over myself. Nothing wrong with feeling this way. Sheese.

Not very nice of those that did to judge No More Snows feelings as anything else but just being her feelings. I no longer want another relationship with a man. Like No More snow I would love to go to lunch or just chat or a quick drop in visit once in awhile to share ideas but my man days are over and believe me I had a wonderful 31 year marriage very sexual and loving caring.

Unless you have walked in No More Snows shoes you have no right to judge. She said nothing at any one else and just stated HER feelings. Not apologizing for this rant either it really raised my hackles for these two comments I read. SOB if you disagree that much and keep your hurtful words to yourself. Why this world is going to hell in a hand basket so fast.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,397,677 times
I am very content with my life at 68. I wish my hubby were still here and healthy but he is not. I am fine with out a man. I think I am good because of financial security well as secure as any one can be now.Who knows what is going to happen in the future. I am trying not to stress over it. I LOVE my home and my animals and I do work hard around the place but this is by choice. I do not have to do this stuff I just want beautiful spaces surrounding me and it has to be done on the cheep so I do it all myself. Never had kids and no family within maybe 1500 miles. Never really checked to see how far but OK KS and MO and AZ are all pretty far from me here in Idaho. I am fine with that too. I wake up every morning with things I hope to get done that day. If I do not I do not beat myself up over it and if I change my mind on those days plans I am fine with that too. I do thinking having the ability to be more flexible with our time is one reason I am more content. Before retiring I was always having to push through exhaustion to keep it all going and looking good around here and not too many extra projects I would like to do . Now I am doing those would like to do projects.

So now my paint should be dry I have been waiting on to go do the second coat. I will be glad when this day is over and I have completed this gable end of the house. It is terrifying me to be so high up on a ladder.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,358,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Yes... I think that has something to do with it. By this point in life hopefully the only thing you have to worry about is yourself and your spouse. Everyone else should be self-sufficient by now.
Absolutely, as long as your kids are all self-sufficient, I agree. I imagine parents of adult children with special needs would never stop worrying.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM

14,486 posts, read 7,993,661 times
I can't say that I'm happy about being old, but 60 isn't so terrible. Life has it's trade offs and I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again with all of the work that goes with it. There's a quiet resolve with aging and making the best of it is in my best interest. Life is good, and I'm not that anxious to see it end. It's kind of depressing to know that most of your life is behind you now. It makes what's left all the sweeter.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:55 PM

5,379 posts, read 9,906,911 times
Quote:

Oh, I do know what you mean and I agree. I'm still a flirt but it's all in fun and older gentlemen of my age group and older have fun flirting with me, too. Even my husband doesn't mind--it's done in a gentle and playful way. And I love flirting with my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or