U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,287,176 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer, I am not 60+ but in my early 50s, but as my wife and I move toward 60, we have been noticing a few changes in our mindset.

1. Things and their accumulation no longer have the pull they once did.
2. We look forward to paying off our primary residence and the freedom that will provide
3. We fantasize about decluttering. At the moment, it is mainly my wife, who fantasizes about reducing my stuff by 90%!
4. We just want to relax without a care
5. Our self-focused spending has dramatically fallen off giving us hope that post-retirement expenses will shrink
6. Far-flung Travel, which we did extensively in our youth and for work, has far less appeal than it did. Instead, it is replaced by a desire to travel locally
7. We are letting go control of our kids (teens/preteens)
8. We are looking forward to a couple of pet indulgences we have not had time for, sailing being the main one.
9. I am desperate to do more reading and writing.
10. We have only a tiny bucket list.

As head toward 60, we can start to see the above list all coming together, something I could not have said in my 40s. At some point in the late 50s and early 60s, I can see us being fairly content, in large part because worry about not being content will have been wrung out of our systems, because of all the handwork to to get us to that point, and because of any nest eggs left by our parents, which we will in turn leave for our kids.

S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:51 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Do you guys think it's because kids are generally grown up and gone by then?

My kids are teens right now and it is by far the most stressful time of parenting for me (so far anyway)
Not for me because I never had kids. But I am more content and happy I think partly because I no longer have to answer to a boss in a high stress job and my time is my own. I like the freedom I have; my time is my own. I can slow down and enjoy what's around me.

And I can wear jeans every day!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 AM

18,137 posts, read 23,055,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I’m sorry you feel offended by my interpretation of your post. You may not be as open minded as you would like us to believe. Calling me names such as “grumpy or dirty old man lacking hormones and being a gossip is a refection on yourself.

This is what you wrote: Definitely better since I'm over my "potential." And life is easier when all of that sexual tension isn't front and center everywhere you go, either.

Nowhere did you suggest anything other than sexuality. I did not find one word that would suggest education, career, or being rich or famous.

I feel absolutely no animosity, and if you would have read my post with an open mind, you would have also gathered that I was agreeing with most of what you said.

I was not personally offended, and believe me I carry no baggage. You on the other hand can’t say the same after the post directed at me.
That's what periods are for at the end of sentences. Two separate sentences, two separate points. And where did I ever claim to be open-minded?

And yes, I was offended because of the sneaky way you basically flipped me off at the end of your post when you said, here's looking at you kid, have a nice life. Which, in my opinion, did justify being called a grumpy old man.

Okay, I'm done.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:44 AM

18,137 posts, read 23,055,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilbyandDixie View Post
Okay folks. Calm down.This thread is about how content we oldsters are, so lets set a good example for the youngin's.

I think we all need to keep in mind that when you read someone else's post you can't hear the inflection that was in their head while they were writing it. It is nice to come here and share stories with people our own age but if we feel like "One wrong word and someone is going to jump down my throat!" it will be less nice. I think we have to allow that we have all had different experiences and just because yours is the opposite of mine it doesn't mean that yours is wrong.
Amen.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Puleez. You never had a friend's husband come on to you? A boss? Were never afraid to ask for a ride, thinking a guy might get the wrong idea? Were you never single when your friends were all coupled-up and you were no longer wanted in the group?

That's all sexual tension. I don't believe you never encountered it.

Of course I've had those experiences. But do I think they are so important? No. Do I feel an urge to write or talk about them? No. Big deal. I'm not a robot and I don't think any woman is. It's a part of life. And those situations did not affect my life in a bad way. I was never molested or abused. I think if those things are a big deal for you, you may have had some of those unfortunate experiences.

I wonder what you learned as a kid.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:27 PM

2,564 posts, read 816,565 times
I am not content and hope I never will be. I am currently in the process of scraping enough pennies together to be able to start my next chapter. I will not go gently into that good night, I will go kicking and screaming as long as I have the ability to do do so.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,379,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
That's what periods are for at the end of sentences. Two separate sentences, two separate points. And where did I ever claim to be open-minded?

And yes, I was offended because of the sneaky way you basically flipped me off at the end of your post when you said, here's looking at you kid, have a nice life. Which, in my opinion, did justify being called a grumpy old man.

Okay, I'm done.
So, here is looking at you kid. Enjoy your life and be happy.

"Here's*to" Is a common toast - a wishing of good will and declaration of admiration towards an idea. That's easy enough to understand. "Looking at you" the toasting is directed at you. If we take the two together, we get the meaning. From the film Casablanca.
“And” is a useful way to remember the coordinating conjunctions.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:59 PM

10,143 posts, read 12,410,961 times
Right now I guess you could say I am part time retired. I go to work for 11 days (Monday through a week from the following Friday) then I am off for 16 days straight then it is rinse and repeat. Works for me.

So I am retired 60% of the time. I've now been not working for a week.

Let's talk about my weekend.... wanted to get some shelves up in the garage making more room for pantry items. I did mange to purchase the shelves yesterday but I didn't feel like putting them up so I didn't.

The ONLY thing I did yesterday was walk two miles with my wife which is something we try to do together every day... other than that I guess I ate and took a shower.

This morning my wife did the vacuuming using her Neato robotic vacuum. It's a real tough job but sometimes it just has to be done.

On a side note I will NEVER own a standard vacuum again. Flawless... if you don't like the job it did just press the button and it will do it again.

So this morning it was going to be the two sets of shelves and I finally got around to doing it at 1:30. Two shelves, took me about two hours with much of that time was organizing.

That's it, did my work for the week. All my chores are done and I am tuckered out. Well, still got to walk and we're leaving right now while it is nice outside.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM

12,263 posts, read 6,978,047 times
Just turned 60. I was always so driven to succeed in my work, volunteer in our city, and take care of my family and friends. I retired from the private sector. Now, I'm content to read a book and have a swim for as long as I want. I don't do anything I don't want to do anymore. Freedom......

I'd never, ever want to be young again. This is the best time in my life.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:18 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,379,853 times
Of course we are more content with life. For many of us, work, raising a family, and gathering wealth is not the primary function in our 60’s or older. If we’re lucky, we don’t have a mortgage or car payments and our health is still good. Our main concerns are where to vacation and how many this year. For many of the seniors, luck has not been so good, and are struggling financially or with numerous health problems, thus the answer would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or